cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4X4 for dingy towing

OldSalt92
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2008 4-Runner, and love it, but it can't be dingy towed. I don't want to tow it on a trailer. I'm not planning on going "overlanding", but want a 4X4 with some ground clearance to take dirt roads in the west, drive into Nat'l forest and maybe some remote lands for overnight camp. I know Jeeps can be flat towed, but wonder about the quality since Fiat took over. Same with GM since the Gov't takeover in 2008. I thought older Toyotas (1990's) could be flat towed with a manual transfer case? I see a 2000 Rav 4 with manual Trans & transfer case can be, but can't get dingy towing guide online earlier than 2000. An older 4 Runner or Land Cruiser with Manual trans and transfer case, would be my Ideal Toad. RAV 4, CRV, or Subaru Outback (again quality?) would be OK. Maybe a Hummer H3??? Any thoughts would be helpful, I'm looking to buy a Class A or Super C in 6 to 12 months and head west and possibly an Alaska trip. Will require 10,000 lb. hitch and tow capacity.
18 REPLIES 18

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
From 4-21-18, to 5-31-18, there's been no responses from the OP. Apparently he's not all that interested in answers he asked for. Must be all that worrying about "Fiat" taking over Jeep and, the Government taking over GM that scared him away.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

C_and_D_Tabby
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
Two year old Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Makes a lot of sense, so it will probably be dismissed. I have a Wrangler I tow as well, but it is heavy and a beast. My little Trailhawk has ground clearance, good MPGs, and a great ride. A used one can be had for less that $20K. Follows my DP the best of anything I have towed.

Used Toyotas and Wranglers suffer from the same thing; people want them (for whatever reason) and therefore drive the price up. Jeep makes its vehicles toad ready (ones with the proper transfer case), and even supports the consumer with fixes and questions. I hear a lot of things about government intervention, but if you want to see who receives subsidies, look no further than Toyota.

WW

Glad to hear the Cherokee works well, probably picking up a 2018 Limited or 2017 Overland tomorrow. Both have select drive-2 (I think its called). With the Neutral button.... I really like the Trail Hawk too.

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
....and has never received one cent in subsides from any government in the world.

There is a Toyota facility in one state that has received extensive .gov subsidies in the form of property tax abatements. Twice. Once to get them to come and build and again when they expanded the facility. And they got a $4 million grant.

And there is a facility in a different state where the same type of property tax abatements have been given to Toyota as well. EDIT: And I would bet that same scenario has played out at other facilities at other locations around the world.

They most certainly -are- getting .gov subsidies.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
I hear a lot of things about government intervention, but if you want to see who receives subsidies, look no further than Toyota.

WW

Please provide some documentation for this statement. Toyota is the largest automotive manufacturer in the world with production plants around the world including 12 in the USA and Canada. Toyota employs more workers and pays more taxes in North America than Fiat/Chrysler and has never received one cent in subsides from any government in the world.

I have done a lot of research on this (for my MBA) and I an not trying to sway you. As they say, what is good for the goose...

No one is immune to taking help from home and Toyota certainly does. I think your numbers are wrong, though. Toyota has 10 plants in the U.S. GM has 39, for 24, and FCA 23. So how is Toyota paying more taxes than what those companies generate? And yes, all the research out there shows Toyota took money and the Japanese government helped out too. But that is not unusual. What is unusual is how GM gets a bad rap and Toyota flies under the RADAR.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
I hear a lot of things about government intervention, but if you want to see who receives subsidies, look no further than Toyota.

WW

Please provide some documentation for this statement. Toyota is the largest automotive manufacturer in the world with production plants around the world including 12 in the USA and Canada. Toyota employs more workers and pays more taxes in North America than Fiat/Chrysler and has never received one cent in subsides from any government in the world.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there is a Toyota 4Runner model that can be towed 4down. You need to look for a 4Runner Trail Edition base model or later 4Runner TRD PRO Edition. They both have automatic transmission WITH a manual shift transfer case with neutral that makes them 4down towable. They can be somewhat hard to find and are rather high priced when you do find one. Toyota started offering them around 2010 up to present models.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
OldSalt92 wrote:
I drive a 2008 4-Runner, and love it, but it can't be dingy towed. I don't want to tow it on a trailer. I'm not planning on going "overlanding", but want a 4X4 with some ground clearance to take dirt roads in the west, drive into Nat'l forest and maybe some remote lands for overnight camp. I know Jeeps can be flat towed, but wonder about the quality since Fiat took over. Same with GM since the Gov't takeover in 2008. I thought older Toyotas (1990's) could be flat towed with a manual transfer case? I see a 2000 Rav 4 with manual Trans & transfer case can be, but can't get dingy towing guide online earlier than 2000. An older 4 Runner or Land Cruiser with Manual trans and transfer case, would be my Ideal Toad. RAV 4, CRV, or Subaru Outback (again quality?) would be OK. Maybe a Hummer H3??? Any thoughts would be helpful, I'm looking to buy a Class A or Super C in 6 to 12 months and head west and possibly an Alaska trip. Will require 10,000 lb. hitch and tow capacity.

Old salt - being that I graduated from RHS in 63 I would not steer you wrong I have pulled a Cherokee since 11/03 with no problems Its a great little car

Roger Ream
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the Suzuki models like Samurai, Sidekick, Vitara and others can be towed flat as long as they have a manual trans.

I have a Daihatsu ROCKY, but good luck finding one.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Old Suzukies can be flat towed. Light, cheap, and tons of fun wrapped up in a small package. Yea, their old, but darn near bullet proof.

We tow a 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Inexpensive to buy and just put the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in park, and it's ready to tow. X2...they are darn near bullet proof.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you like your 4-Runner and it has an A750F automatic transmission, Remco has a transmission lube pump for it that will let you tow it 4-down. We've towed two different RAV4's about 50,000 miles so far on the same Remco pump with no problems.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Two year old Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Makes a lot of sense, so it will probably be dismissed. I have a Wrangler I tow as well, but it is heavy and a beast. My little Trailhawk has ground clearance, good MPGs, and a great ride. A used one can be had for less that $20K. Follows my DP the best of anything I have towed.

Used Toyotas and Wranglers suffer from the same thing; people want them (for whatever reason) and therefore drive the price up. Jeep makes its vehicles toad ready (ones with the proper transfer case), and even supports the consumer with fixes and questions. I hear a lot of things about government intervention, but if you want to see who receives subsidies, look no further than Toyota.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Y-Guy
OldSalt92 wrote:
I know Jeeps can be flat towed, but wonder about the quality since Fiat took over.

A few of thoughts...
* Any and all brands have some bad units, but I'd say for the most part the Wrangler is still a solid choice. You can also find some used ones out there, but then you are taking more risk.
* Very hard to beat the Wrangler when it comes to holding value.
* About the easiest 4x4 for flat towing as well.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Horsedoc wrote:
If you are looking for ground clearance, wouldn't the Outback be a little low?

The Outback is pretty good off-road actually, with a ground clearance of almost 9 inches. Unless someone is into hard-core mudding or rock crawling I imagine an Outback will go wherever you want without getting stuck or damaged. I don't know if you can get one with a manual transmission, which is required to tow a Subaru 4 down.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep still made in the same factory with the same parts and by the same workers as always.
The Gov't did not take over GM.
Hummer H3 made by General Motors.