cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A vs. Super C

OldSalt92
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has become convinced a Super C is the best choice for a Diesel motor home due to safety. I've also read concerns about fires in the rear of Diesel Pushers. I'd like to stay about 35' for Nat'l and state parks, but floor plan preferences push me toward 37 or 38 feet. Will primarily be traveling Nat'l Parks of the west,with some short stays, and looking at an RV trip to Alaska. Also, have read International Durastar diesel has lots of maintenance problems. And what about noise when accelerating or climbing a grade from a front diesel? One thing I don't like about Gassers.
14 REPLIES 14

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both. Our previous motorhome was a 2007 Four Winds 34H on the Chevy 5500 chassis with diesel engine.

I did do some suspension upgrades on it. It did have a longer rear overhang than on the current motorhome, but not really long. Enough that their is a difference making turns particularly with a toad.

The Four Winds did better at keeping it's speed up going uphill even though we were towing a larger car at the time. And it could go around curves a little faster. Winds were never a problem. And it was definitely a bit easier to drive, but noiser.

One thing I miss, we had a front overhang and it is nice at shading the windshield from the sun. Although you don't get near as nice view when parked.

But, when you get up to a 40' DP, it just seems you get a lot more space relative to the length and we don't even use the front seats.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I really like about Super C's is the engine access.
Really would love to have that, but otherwise no and like the bus, a whole lot better.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ziggy_the_BB
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I would strongly suggest you drive a Super C before your make your final decision. The L-O-N-G rear overhang always concerned me, especially in windy conditions.

First off, not all Super Cs have a large rear overhang (look at Renegade).

Secondly, look at my signature and I have driven those coaches a combined 500,000 miles. Our Super C Renegade has become our favorite MH and is the LEAST affected by wind of all the RVs we have owned.
This advise and/or opinion is worth what you paid for it!
Paul

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree
1995 HR class A
2000 Custom Monaco Windsor class A
2003 Blue Bird Wanderlodge WB 43 class A
2016 Forest River Forester 2801 class C
2018 Renegade Verona Super C

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly suggest you drive a Super C before your make your final decision. The L-O-N-G rear overhang always concerned me, especially in windy conditions.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I wanted a super C to replace our gas A, but after a bunch of test drives we liked the DP form factor better.

None of our opinions matter, just get you and your wife behind the wheel and get some test time in.

We like the view and open space of the pusher cockpit mainly.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My wife also likes the Super C's. I think its a better built Chassis. At least service and engine maintenance would be easier. We never see a post about wind noise from the door seal or missing weep hole covers. I don't thing they are noisy at all, there a lot of sound insulation up front though you would notice the turbo winding up.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No way are you going to put a driver's door in a DP...too many items in the side dash. In a front crash you are high enough in a DP that most vehicles are going under you. Does she drive a smaller vehicle...better switch to a F550 as a daily driver. Other than DynaMax most of the Super Cs have the "quality" of a regular C. If the seats do not turn around you loose 8' of your length...5' if they do.

Before going residential I had to run the generator 2+ hours/day when dry camping...big RVs are energy hogs. My generator time has decreased because I added a 100A charger to the battery system for the 21 cuft residential refrigerator that draws 96W when running. I recently went from 42' to 45' and out West we boondock 5 out of 7 days...it's not true you need 36' max for public CGs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a couple of years ago when to take an RV to alaska and back you will have a broken RV maybe the roads are better now , I don't know , ask some one who has gone recently and buy according. Good Luck and safe travels.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
OldSalt92 wrote:
My wife has become convinced a Super C is the best choice for a Diesel motor home due to safety. I've also read concerns about fires in the rear of Diesel Pushers. I'd like to stay about 35' for Nat'l and state parks, but floor plan preferences push me toward 37 or 38 feet. Will primarily be traveling Nat'l Parks of the west,with some short stays, and looking at an RV trip to Alaska. Also, have read International Durastar diesel has lots of maintenance problems. And what about noise when accelerating or climbing a grade from a front diesel? One thing I don't like about Gassers.

IMO, everyone who buys an RV (anything really) has their own reasons for buying what they buy. Everyone's priorities are as different as how they plan to use their RV which usually changes over time. Do your own homework! Using someone else's priorities (unless they are EXACTLY like yours) usually makes no sense at all. Unless you want to end up with an RV you don't want, then go through the process again, and again, and again, until you end up with, hopefully, the one you do want.

Chum lee

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
OldSalt92,

What specifically about safety is she concerned with? Is it visibility, front end collisions, fire hazards, escape routes?

Are you looking to purchase a new rig or used? My original plan was to get 20+ years out of our rig, which will bring me into retirement age. We're on target to do just that. Then purchase a nice, used, high-end coach about the same vintage as our current rig, depending upon the actual make & model, but I'm planning in the $100K range...maybe a bit higher. Depending upon your budget, you might be able to do the same with either a C or an A.

I have a gasser Class A, and at times the noise can be a bit much, but that's just under hard acceleration or steep grades. The rest of the time, it's not that bad. Of course, not as quiet as a rear-engine motorhome. I would think that the quietest option for the passengers upfront is a DP class A.

By the way, I ordered our Class A with a driver's door, which I use quite a bit. I know it's a rarity on the larger Class A's, but I'm wondering if it still might be an option with some manufacturer's if you order new. If I remember right, it was a $400 option for us back in 2004.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at upgrading to a 45' DP however have no plans to take it north to Alaska. Lived there for 25 years, visited again in 2016 towing a 31' 5'er and finding places that will handle that rig was a challenge up north. Provincial CG's are not set up for longer RV's. Plus for more money you get less amenities at your sites. Yukon Provincial Parks provide free firewood. Basically a place to park for the night for what you would pay for a decent full service RV site in the lower 48 state. BUT, the scenery and experience is worth the trip.

Today's Class A coaches are going to all electric. No propane heat, cooking, ovens etc. At least that is what we are finding for our next RV. Either shore power or run the Cummins/ONAN generator.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Almost invariably when someone post a picture or video of an RV on fire on the highway it is the rear of a class A. Although no doubt that number vs the actual number on the road is very small.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer

tenspeedret360
Explorer
Explorer
As a class A owner, and a bus driver who drives a Deisel bus with the super 'C' nose, I really don't think there'll be any difference between the engine being up front with you, (other than the engine noise) or in back, as far as performance. MY biggest issue with my class A, is the fact that theres only one door, and no other way out, except through the window.

When I first purchased my DP, I was driving to the dealer up the NY thruway, to get my punch list taken care of. Looking out the mirror, I saw that one of my basement doors was open. I pulled off to the right, as far off the road as I could, and couldn't get out because of the guardrail. I ended up having to pull off on the left side, exit the vehicle with left lane traffic flying past me, and re enter traffic from the left hand lane....it seems none of the class a's come with driver doors anymore.
Kevin
FMCA #F383349
2006 Monaco LaPalma
2015 Hyundai Elantra