cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter install by dealer

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new fifth wheel last year and it did not have the inverter included so I negotiated that as part of the deal.. When I pickup to the fifth wheel, they didn't have time to install it, they just gave me the inverter and days to have a local dealer install it and they would pay me back. Which I had the local dealer install it and they actually did pay me back. My fifth wheel had an Onan 4000 installed as well.

So I went camping once last year after it was installed and noticed it didn't power any electrical outlets. I would have thought a $500 install would have included wiring it to the panel to power the outlets. It's in the shop now and I asked them about it, they said I would need a bigger inverter to power the outlets. I'm like, it's a 2000 amp inverter, it should be plenty big. And installing it where I need to run an extension cord is dumb. They also said I can't run it to the go power solar panel control, because that had a button to turn the inverter on and off.

I boondock one 5 night trip a year and a couple 3 night trips, so a running inverter is pretty useful.

Please let me know your thoughts.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch
39 REPLIES 39

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Nope. Just 300 watts.

Yes it just powers a tv, dvd, Chromebook and other small items as needed. Has run the fridge when the propane would not ignite.

Me too

Just use my little 350 watter to power the tv, DVD etc
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find the "divide by ten" rule works fairly closely with inverter draws. If the 120v appliance pulls 900w, it is about 90 amps draw.

You can't go just by the watts label on the appliance, but it gives you some idea of what it will want. You can see on the inverter's watts read-out what it actually pulls.

Also a microwave pulls less from a MSW inverter than from a PSW inverter, but it also has lower cooking power. Some MSW inverters have a hard time with microwaves and other inductive loads. Pick a MSW inverter that is rated to run "motors" for best results if you don't go to PSW.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
2000 'WATTS'

1000 'WATTS'

NOT AMPS

2000 watts, 12v battery bank roughly 165 Amps draw

1000 watts roughly 87 amps draw
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
You don't need a bigger inverter. The inverter needs to be properly wired into the campers 110v electrical system. Then you just can't run anything that exceeds 2000 amps for a single appliance or as a combination of several appliances.

I have a 1000 watt inverter wired into my 110v system and it works flawlessly, I just can't run anything over 1000 amps which gets us by just fine.

Methinks you're confusing "watts" with "amps" ... BIG difference. Heck, around here all the houses including mine are wired with 100 amp service, 1000 amps around here would power 10 houses. :S

And FWIW, nominal voltage here in N America is 120 vac +/- 5%, not 110, not 115, not 117 as once was the case many, many, many, many years ago. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a bigger inverter. The inverter needs to be properly wired into the campers 110v electrical system. Then you just can't run anything that exceeds 2000 amps for a single appliance or as a combination of several appliances.

I have a 1000 watt inverter wired into my 110v system and it works flawlessly, I just can't run anything over 1000 amps which gets us by just fine.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Yes switch off the converter. May as well switch off water heater and air conditioner too. Set the fridge to propane only as it might be connected to GFI or General circuits.

Yeah my fridge can go on propane of course. My hot water heater has 2 options, one for propane and one for electric. Of course would put that on propane.

Thanks for the reply!!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes switch off the converter. May as well switch off water heater and air conditioner too. Set the fridge to propane only as it might be connected to GFI or General circuits.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
So I got a hold of the dealer yesterday and picked up fifth wheel. They want another 6 hours of labor to run it right. Whatever, guess that's my bad for not dealing with it last summer.

I took a pic of the fuse panel. If I switch off "converter" before I run the cord from the cable outside to the inverter, will that work?

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
I'm guessing the "you need a bigger inverter" suggestion means they were using the built in transfer switch in the inverter?
'Bigger' wouldn't be the word that comes to my mind if referring to a transfer switch, but as I said, RV techs don't know a lot about this stuff.

I was thinking "bigger" referred to the amps the inverter's built-in transfer switch was designed to handle. With an inverter less than 30amps, maybe they figured your "30 amp coach" couldn't be be fully supplied.

I had a similar concern, didn't want to buy a larger inverter (cost + standby power). I had a choice between a smaller pure sine wave (1800w/2100w surge) and a larger modified sine wave. Also due to the discussions and info here, I went with PSW, which is better for our needs.

You remember, thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰

Obviously, I'm just speculating as to 'why' the techs suggested a larger inverter ๐Ÿ˜‰

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Is your 20 receptacle really directly fed from shore/generator power or is it from the 120V distribution panel?

The input from the shore power cable into the ATS lugs is double tapped from the shore power cable side to provide a 20 amp receptacle into which the new Progressive Dynamics converter/charger is plugged.

Also, do you have another ATS in the Shore power / generator block (that you've left out for simplicity) or do you manually plug shore power into the generator?

We have a TT, so the generator is external (Champion) and we do set it up using a 25ft 30 amp extension cord connected to the shore power line.

The goal of that connection is to only power the converter/charger when the shore power cable was energized.

It was a brilliant suggestion from the folks here. REALLY simplified things and made it "idiot proof"

Only thing I have to worry about is turning off the inverter if we won't be using it for an extended period...and that is only for wear and tear purposes (or we want to have the TT powered down from AC for an extended period like a really long tow).

The standby on our inverter is so low, not even worth turning on/off.

I posted the link as well, so others can follow the thought process and discussions that lead to this setup.

Did that answer your questions? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edit to add: I think this is the ATS wiring diagram.

Moved from Technology Corner

MrWizard
The Safari DP was labeled
this Bounder had some labels, but i went thru tested everything and relabeled
its common 'now' to have the converter on a separate 20amp circuit

although many smaller older RVs have it on the same circuit as some outlets

the OPs new fiver should be separate cicruit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
I'm guessing the "you need a bigger inverter" suggestion means they were using the built in transfer switch in the inverter?
'Bigger' wouldn't be the word that comes to my mind if referring to a transfer switch, but as I said, RV techs don't know a lot about this stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
is your shore cord in or near the same basement location ?
yes ?
then step (1) is turn off the circuit breaker for your charge converter
step (2) put fridge on LP, put water heater on LP
step (3) use what ever adapter is needed and plug your shore cord into the inverter

turn on inverter

reverse process when you need the generator
BEFORE you start the generator

Step 1... Is that just a circuit breaker in the panel? I don't think I've seen one labeled that before.

My distribution panel didn't have a label either and I had to experiment to find the correct one.
Kevin