cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing old TV

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have seen it on here that some of you have replaced your old TV with a Smart TV. But I can't seem to find any post on that.
I would like to replace the old TV. that's built in up in the cabinet just above the wind shield. It appears that he front frame of the cabinet is glued on there. Is there any way to get it off with out splitting the frame so it can be reused putting it back after a new TV is installed?? I have looked & looked I find no screws holding it on there.
Any good suggestions on getting it off other than just getting a bigger hammer ?
Thanks
Hope this helps. It's a 2006 Winnebago Adventure 35A
I have a Direct TV satellite dome type on the roof.
14 REPLIES 14

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you replaced a dog house tv? I would like to replace the old one with a new flat screen, but do not want an ugly installation.

2000 Pace Arrow Vision

Thanks

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Does your TV sit into a large plastic housing that goes back to nearly the windshield and cosmetically covers up all the back of the TV and the mounting system? If so, take a look along the top of that. If it's like on my 2007 Journey, there are screws at the top of that to hold it in place. If you remove those, you can drop that housing and see inside to all the mountings. The mountings on mine are substantial metal structures literally welded to the motohome frame at the top. Once you can see inside, you can perhaps see what all holds the current TV in place.

When I purchased my RV, it already had a new flatscreen installed. Whomever did that before I bought it removed the old TV, installed some structure to mount the flatscreen TV mounting bracket to such that when the TV was mounted to that, it sat right over the edges of the wood facing of the outside of the TV cabinet. A little trim around the new screen and done. In my case, rather than using wood-grain trim and trying to match the cabinet color, they used black trim to match the TV and it looks just fine.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Can you see inside from removing/bending the side panels to see if there are any brackets?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet there's more than glue holding it together. Get a magnet and see it you can find the screws.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many RV's (Tiffin and others) have the frame held in place with screws from the side which are accessed in the overhead compartments on either side. 2 long screws on each screw into blocks on the back of the frame. Unscrew and the whole frame comes off and you have access to everything inside.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
egh33 wrote:
I know I have seen it on here that some of you have replaced your old TV with a Smart TV. But I can't seem to find any post on that.
I would like to replace the old TV. that's built in up in the cabinet just above the wind shield. It appears that he front frame of the cabinet is glued on there. Is there any way to get it off with out splitting the frame so it can be reused putting it back after a new TV is installed?? I have looked & looked I find no screws holding it on there.
Any good suggestions on getting it off other than just getting a bigger hammer ?
Thanks

Yep,
Without any info on make/model/year/chassis of coach, it's pretty hard to give an accurate answer. For instance, on many earlier Winne and Itasca products, there are two smaller wood screws, just inside and behind, the two face frames of cabinets on each side of the TV. Ya have to look pretty good to see them. That's all that holds the TV face frame in/on. The TV is held by a large steel band that wraps all the way around it like a big clamp.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely, but if the frame was put on with a staple gun, then finished properly,, the staples will be invisible. Try the knife thing, then gently pry with a screwdriver
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually you will find four wooden "plugs" likely in the side of the facia (trim) and behind them 4 screws Then the wood comes off. Then the TV mount is visible

I knocked the bottom out (carefully) cut the sides so the bottom cut was "Flat" replaced the Bottom and used the same mounting bracket on my wide screen (Same width but not as tall) added a strip of black Gorilla tape to fill in teh remaining gap and job done.

NOTE: You may wish to re-consider the "Smart" Tv. It has microphones and cameras people can hack open.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there probably is, you just need to find it. Try sliding a thin knife or feeler gauge between the frame and the cabinet to determine where the screws are.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I removed a Sony Wega 26 inch from an /06 Class C made by Triple E in Canada. It was a beast, weighed about 85 pounds.

Took me quite a while to figure out how it came out, and in the end, it came out easily. In my case, the TV had a pin hole built into the back of the TV, and the frame in the rig had the pin facing downward. I had to lift the front of the TV, and this dropped the back of the TV, and the pin then came out of the hole.

I used the existing frame to build up something that I could mount a tilting extendable swing arm on, all perfectly set so the new TV would snugly fit into the space. I build a couple of tabs on each side that held the new wide screen in when driving. Big improvement.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

NutHouse2016
Explorer
Explorer
As has been said, remove plugs to get screws out. I replaced both my tv's in 97 bounder with samsung smart tvs. Cell service is pretty good around country and you can hotspot or mirror to tv.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for wooden plugs used to cover the screws that hold the frame on. Remove the plugs and you should find the screws.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you plan on having good internet service all the time, I really wouldn't worry about it being "smart". but would go for the cheaper "non-smart" ones. Unless you have good routers and wifi service, "smart doesn't do a thing for you.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to answer without knowing make or model, and pictures would really be good. We replaced ours several years ago, the front frane came off with screws, and the replacement was simple. I can send pictures of ors, but really need to see what you are working with.