cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Sling Hitch vs. auto Sliding hitch

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking at getting a new truck which will require a new sliding hitch. I understand most if not all auto sliders require in the neighborhood of a maximum of 10-16 degrees angle between the truck and 5ver in order to hitch and unhitch. Do manual sliders have this same requirement or can you hitch/unhitch at greater angles? How often are you hitching/unhitching where greater the 16 degrees would be required? If you have a manual slider what drawbacks have you seen?
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68
10 REPLIES 10

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of our just bought a new Jayco Pinnacle and RAM short box. They are very pleased with their auto slide Pullrite that they had installed from the get-go. I watched it in action and I'm impressed with how well it works!

However they're trailer tows pretty nose high now, IMHO they're going to need to raise the suspension on the Pinnacle. When we were leaving the same campground together their trailer scraped as they were pulling out. NOT good but that's just my 2 cents.

The hitch works great and my buddy is extremely pleased that he doesn't have to be concerned with clearances when focusing on navigating in a campground.

Dan

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
Another Pullrite owner who has never had an issue with the hitch angle and never worried about trailer to cab contact.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN is correct, if you are getting a new GM truck, you should not HAVE to have a slider. Otherwise, I think most manual sliders would work for you.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a 2018 GMC 2500 Dmax shortbed and uses a ancient old rusted 16K Reese manual slider. He bought the hitch used and slide part has never worked/nor needed. The hitch has been on 3 different shortbed 2500 GM trucks of his with two different 5th wheel trailers.
Short bed GM trucks have the longest CA (cab to rear axle) dimension than Ford or Ram. Now add the new gen trailers with a rounded/notched front corner profile eliminates the need for a sliding hitch.

The only hitch I'm aware that has the narrow hitch angle you mentioned is the Superglide.
My '97 16k manual slider will hook and unhook at any angle...even 90 degrees
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Only takes one problem, and there goes your back window. Been using the Pullrite Auto slide for years. Never give it a thought, because it always does it for me.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Simple, dont use a slider. 4 different SB trucks, 6 different fivers, almost 30 yrs and never a problem.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a B&W RVK3270 manual slider and a SB RAM. Because the king pin lock handle will not clear our front bed box in the forward position we always slide the hitch, which greatly decrease the chance of a 5th wheel to cab contact. I really like the B&W head and how it captures the king pin.

Works for us. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I had a slider hitch on my last truck. Never used the slider.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Same here little to no problems with our Pullrite.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Manual sliders do not require "straight-on" hitching since the fifth wheel hitch turns with the tow vehicle independent of the trailer pin.

The Pull Rite does require a relatively straight hook up angle, but I've not found that an issue in my eleven years of owning one. I would certainly recommend the Pull Rite, but this is an often debated topic on this forum, and I'm sure that a search will return a number of threads devoted to this argument.