cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Camper for 2 people

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I am looking to purchase a small camper for the 2 of us to spend our summers down in Newfoundland (we live in Ontario) and would like to go down for 3 months each summer. Having done quite a bit of online reading my discovery so far is that their doesn't seem to be a clear answer who (manufacter) makes a good solid reliable camper. We would need a small wet bath; TV hook-up and enough room to stand up. Hard top preferred as it can rain/wind for a straight week in NFLD. We go each summer and spend thousands on airline tickets; hotels; gas, etc. Like the to travel around the island on our own time and see much more than we normally do. First question is do most small camper trailers for sale these days get built the same way as far as materials and workmanship? We have been inside a few different models of a brand called Prolite that is made in Quebec. The size is perfect for us but their is not much online about owners reviews etc. Anyway heading off to work shortly. Sometimes I have been thinking that the less electronic stuff in a camper the less issues you will have but on the other hand their are some basic needs for sure. By used is not out of the question either. Budget would be max of $25k. Depreciation is similar to cars if not worse when buying new, and the warranties are no better but I could be wrong. Thanksa for any input.
34 REPLIES 34

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
06honda wrote:
First question is do most small camper trailers for sale these days get built the same way as far as materials and workmanship?

No !

Thats right, the longer the trailer, the higher the quality. Never buy anything under 30'!

:R

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a wet bath at all, you could look at a gently used Lance 1475 or 1575. They're both in your price range and both have dry baths!

Lance Travel Trailers

You could also Google "used trailers" and find one of those mega sites and then do a search, with certain parameters and find other models that might work (using the filters)

Lots of good advice on this thread.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I went from a 32 5th wheel to a ~20 ft TT. We did have several years out of RVing, and were itching to get back in. The decision to go small stemmed from our daughter does not want to travel with us and I already had the 2015 Canyon. We are happy with the smaller rig.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
You might keep an eye out for a used Taylor Coach, too. I have heard that they are well built. They have a 2 year wait for new ones!

06honda wrote:
I checked for a Taylor Coach on kijiji and located 1 that was sold, wow is that small.

Taylor Coach is a small family owned business in Millgrove, Ont that's been in business since 1967. The founder's son Brad Taylor now runs it and with many light weight models from teeny tiny to mid-size he will add or subtract items as a prospective owner may want. Call him, you might be pleasantly surprised at what he can build for you. There aren't any trailers I know of that include a 4 yr manufacturers warranty as does Taylor Coach so about the only downside is you'd likely have to wait until 2019 to take delivery unless Brad happens to have something on his lot that appeals to you. Not often do Taylor Coach trailers hit the used market as owners tend to be very particular about what they have and generally tend to keep them a long time.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
There is a retired couple on another forum who towed a 16' Scamp tens of thosands of miles with a stick shift CR-V. They got a lot of grief from others about being 900 lbs over the tug's rating, but they just kept chugging along happily. They love Newfoundland too. Finally about 2 years ago they upgraded to an Odyssey. The CR-V does seem to be a tough little vehicle.

You might keep an eye out for a used Taylor Coach, too. I have heard that they are well built. They have a 2 year wait for new ones!

That is Norm and Ginny. They go by username honda03842 on the fiberglass RV forum ( http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ ).

They pulled that Scamp all over the US and Canada with the CRV. I think he finally retired the CRV at something like 180,000 miles.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
06honda wrote:
We are selling our home this summer and moving into a 2 bedroom new rental apartment so we can do some travelling when we feel like it. Thankfully the home is paid for so that makes our money situation going forward just fine. Decided to do this a little earlier when we are still able to, no point until waiting to long 🙂

Exactly what we'd like to do once our boys move out and my wife retires, in our case spending a few of our Canadian winter months traveling around Australia where we have family. Earlier you mentioned spending 3 months during the summer on The Rock and traveling around a bit ... just wondering if you might be better served with a Class B MH that's as easy to drive and park as any van. One of my nieces and her SO built a truck camper a couple of years ago, traveling Down East with it, but last year sold it and bought a Mercedes van. He completely outfitted it as a camper, last fall used it for an extended trip out to BC, and concluded that although it's tighter inside than a travel trailer it was also much easier to deal with when traveling. Just a thought that I think would simplify what you're attempting to do.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely need a better tow vehicle.

Look at the R-Pod 179. It has a slide, which helps reduce the claustrophobic feel of a small TT. It also has a wet bath and the best storage of all the R-Pods, IMO. A Toyota 4-Runner with a tow package would be a great tow vehicle for this TT.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
There is a retired couple on another forum who towed a 16' Scamp tens of thosands of miles with a stick shift CR-V. They got a lot of grief from others about being 900 lbs over the tug's rating, but they just kept chugging along happily. They love Newfoundland too. Finally about 2 years ago they upgraded to an Odyssey. The CR-V does seem to be a tough little vehicle.

I checked for a Taylor Coach on kijiji and located 1 that was sold, wow is that small.

06honda
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the current rates for the NFLD ferry.We are selling our home this summer and moving into a 2 bedroom new rental apartment so we can do some travelling when we feel like it. Thankfully the home is paid for so that makes our money situation going forward just fine. Decided to do this a little earlier when we are still able to, no point until waiting to long 🙂

http://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/plan-your-travel/ferry-rates/Port-aux-Basques-North-Sydney/

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
25k means you can buy a proper tow vehicle and a conventional trailer used. I would go this route.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you were to try to do it without upgrading tow the solution is probably a light teardrop style trailer. The Littleguy MyPod is only 600lb. It's basically a a hard version of a 2 person tent but with the amenities of AC, stereo, TV, and electricity, no bath or kitchen. Add on the screen room and it should be workable for 2 people if they're used to tent camping.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, SoundGuy made a very good point about the cost of getting to NL. When we took our 22’ Class B back in 2012, it was $500 roundtrip for the short ferry to Port aux Basques. It would cost more to pay for a tow vehicle + trailer. And it costs more now, 6 years later of course.

This year, we’re taking a Class C, no toad. Long ferry with a cabin for sleeping one way, short ferry return, and it’s more than $1100.

Still, I think driving an RV is a really great way to visit Newfoundland, and the ferry may be pricey but air tickets probably aren’t cheap either.