cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch fit with lube plate

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
After installing a lube plate the slide bar operates very hard when sliding over pin collar. Their is essentially no gap between flats on hitch and pin box now and its hard to tell when weight is off to unhitch. This makes no sense to me being I have owned a different 5th wheel in the past with no issues. It seems the pin doesn't go deep enough in the hitch.
9 REPLIES 9

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
This plate is thinner than most. This one is 1/8", and most are 3/16". It is more expensive that most lube plates, but if you need it you need it.

REESE 83004 Lube Plate
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
I have to use a thin lube plate with my hitch. until i figured it out, i really struggled with getting locked in.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Get a thinner lube plate.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
dang pbounds, what an excellent thought.

Or like me, I don't need one of those gizmos. My hitch is hanging on the king pin as we speak.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If you are a woodworker, or know one, run your lube plate through your thickness planer.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I use a lube plate. Thinner plate may be your answer.

I never raise the trailer enough to see any gap between the hitch plate and the pin box plate. When I hitch up I have the pin box plate about 1โ€ below the hitch plate so that the pin box plate rides up onto the hitch plate to ensure proper hitching. And when I unhitch I have the pin box at about that same height so that the pin box slides down that same 1โ€.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hensley sells a 1/8" lube plate, not cheap but do work well. My last Companion had 1 1/8" thick jaws and really needed the thinner plate. Current companion jaws are 1" and it is still nicer to use the 1/8" plate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slide Bar..............OLD hitch?
Some pin boxes do not allow for standard 1/4" lube plate

There are 1/8" slim lube plates.......might give one a try

Otherwise, back to the old grease routine
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wdgold wrote:
After installing a lube plate the slide bar operates very hard when sliding over pin collar. Their is essentially no gap between flats on hitch and pin box now and its hard to tell when weight is off to unhitch. This makes no sense to me being I have owned a different 5th wheel in the past with no issues. It seems the pin doesn't go deep enough in the hitch.

I helped a guy next to me last year that could not get his hitch to close, there was just enough warp, and rough edges on the lube plate to keep the hitch from closing . You could see there was just a little more gap created from the lube plate then normal. Took off the lube plate, and the hitch slammed shut, all was well, nothing was wrong with the hitch. . Not sure how he messed up the lube plate ,but it was.