cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Birds in refer vent on roof

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas on how to keep sparrows from building a nest under the refer vent cover on roof? We have removed nest three times and they keep coming back. RV repair said there is no Good way to put a screen on to keep them out. We will be here another two weeks! TIA!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
10 REPLIES 10

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Going to try a mesh basket, thanks for the help!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
my thought was the same as 4X4

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
In my trade (elevator technician) we often had birds building nests under the roof hoistway vents and their deposits would often splash through to the elevator top. What stopped most of them was a short piece of garden hose laid under the vent overhang. The birds saw it as a snake and would stay away. You might want to stick a short piece of windshield washer hose down with a dab of sealer under there and see if that does the job.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Took my cover off on my old one and pop riveted in some aluminum hardware store screen.
This /\

Simple, easy, cheap. If your RV repair place says it can't be done, it simply means "they" don't want to do it because it's not an "off-the-shelf" product, but instead something that they have to actually think about and fabricate. Any type of fine mesh wire from Home Depot, Lowes, TSC, etc, can be attached to the inside (or easier, the outside) of the vent cap using rivets, screws, or even zip ties, going all the way around and extending down to the roof.

Heck you don't even need to remove the cap or attach the mesh. Simply cut a strip of the mesh about 3" high and just long enough to go all the way around the vent cap. Attach the two ends together, and then set it around the cap, like a fence, touching the vent cap all the way around. Simply remove it when you leave.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You might try two or three cheap dollar store bins. The rectangular ones that are about 2 to 3 inches tall and have square holes in the sides. You could cut both ends off one and one end off of the other two, wire them together to make a cover, then use a piece of small cord or wire to go under the existing ring guard then through the sides of the temporary cover tied over the top. That should leave enough airflow to allow the refrigerator to vent. I wouldn't leave it up there while on the road.

I used round potato salad containers cut down to cover the 30 lb propane cylinders valves to stop birds from nesting inside the collars on top of the cylinders after removing partially built nests. I found the first partial nest after I saw them flying up under the plastic cylinder cover. After removing the partial nests three times I used the potato salad containers.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
They make a critter screen for the RV AC's. Just google it. :C

It's not his A/C to it's his refrigerator vent in the roof. The birds are nesting between the screen for the opening and the plastic rain cover.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Took my cover off on my old one and pop riveted in some aluminum hardware store screen.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
They make a critter screen for the RV AC's. Just google it. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Steel Wool pads, pulled apart/...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I would think bending a piece of screen to fit over it would be very effective.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman