cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Maps with all camp sites listed

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if there is a market for fold up state maps like the old road maps that show all campsites. State parks, county parks,National and federal parks, Military fam camps, private and membership parks. All campsite both pay and free all on one large fold up map. Then you would not have to look all over hell and half of Georgia to find a camp site near where you are going to be........The camp ground guides today do not list them all .....I have driven by and near camp sites that I did not know until later was there....
33 REPLIES 33

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Newbiecampers wrote:

....plus with just a bit of tech savvy, you can download areas ahead of time........you can download info about the area you are headed to.

Tech savvy has absolutely nothing at all to do with it. When you have made no plans in advance, and are in location "A" with no cell service, you can't download anything about location "B" when you decide to go there at the last second without said cell service. And as I said, often times while driving we had no adequate data service for websites.

So you can't be bothered downloading some maps...but you can search out and obtain paper maps for every state? That doesn't make sense.

If you made no plans in advance, you probably didn't go buy paper maps for your destination either.

You don't sound as tech savvy as you claim if you can't pre-download some maps and background info ahead of time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
The only state map we are aware of that lists CG's is the Alabama state map.
As a generic paper map the National Geographic Road Atlas is a good starting point along with the other sources others have mentioned.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least for traveling "Out West" there is no substitute for these atlases - one for each state: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/atlases

.... and yes .... I'm a bit of an "expert" with a modern laptops and how to tether them to our smart phone. The laptop has a super detailed map of North America contained entirely in it's memory that is almost as good as Google Earth Pro. We also have an iPad and a Galaxy S7. We also have a cellular band antenna on the RV roof with a coaxial cable leading inside the coach to a Wilson cellular band amplifier to boost cell signals coming and going.

Our top tools are the state atlases referenced above, the laptop map database, and our constantly updated Garmin Nuvi navigator unit with around 500,000 custom Points of Interest residing right there in it's memory.

.... And the atlases, the laptop's super detailed laptop map of North America, the Garmin, and Points of Interest all have nothing to do with needing access to cell towers while traveling.

We always leave home on each RV trip considering it as a bit of an expedition - so we like to be as completely self-contained as we can right from the start. Being completely self-contained, IMHO, does not mean needing access to the Internet throughout, or at all, for the trip.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest a possible web site with various downloadable maps to compensate for the non wifi spots. Select your destination and possible alternatives, download those areas and you're good to go. Easier updatable and no paper to manage. can work on a tablet, phone or laptop.
I'd buy a subscription.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
...no service areas are becoming ever smaller

Not where we were. We were in parts of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, South Dakota, and Nebraska for that trip. There were multiple days in a row where we had no cell signal at all, or a cell signal only capable of making calls or texts because the data was so slow as to be unusable. Ditto on some of the supposed wifi.

We actually had to purchase a phone card and use payphones while we were in Glacier in order to call home for some issues that arose. We could only -very- occasionally get a text message in or out. When we travelled to the other side of Glacier from where we were camping, it didn't help. And when we went to use a payphone on that side, lo and behold, there was actually a small line of people waiting to use the payphone.

As a side note, that trip also showed me that a spare tire for the class C was a must. Depending on being able to call and get a service to do it could have been folly, or at minimum, a looong wait.

....plus with just a bit of tech savvy, you can download areas ahead of time........you can download info about the area you are headed to.

Tech savvy has absolutely nothing at all to do with it. When you have made no plans in advance, and are in location "A" with no cell service, you can't download anything about location "B" when you decide to go there at the last second without said cell service. And as I said, often times while driving we had no adequate data service for websites.

So yes, the idea of needing paper is dinosaur thinking

You can parrot that "dinosaur" line as much as you want. Doesn't make it true. If we had not had a paper back-up atlas, we would not have found 3 of our camping locations. Plus, a large format paper atlas was very valuable in getting a big picture of where to go vs trying to look at a tiny mobile device or GPS unit. There is just no comparison. My wife and I wholeheartedly agreed that the purchase of that atlas was one of the best purchases we had made in the very brief preparation for that trip "on the fly." Leveling blocks was one of the other lol. The kids had fun looking at the atlas picking places as well.

And I'll add it is also called being prepared with a backup.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I think the point I was trying to make has fallen by the way side....

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the best accessories we got for RV-in' is a laptop & Verizon mifi. Internet is our #1 source for finding a CG plus you can check up on CG reviews, road conditions, local attractions, etc...

We just about always book all our CGs before leaving home and usually way in advance so we get into the CG we want. We're Thousand Trails members which makes it easy to figure out where we want to stay. For longer trips and no T/T CGs in some areas, it's the internet that finds us a place to stay. Many CGs are going to be fully booked long before you get there and a paper map with CGs on it may not help. We've arrived at a few CGs (privately owned) that we booked without looking up reviews and they've turned out to be total dives.

Sometimes you could be on a route planned well in advance but have to re-book a CG(s) due to unforeseen circumstances like say a wildfire. Having internet on the road really helps. It's not often we can't get either just the internet or just cell phone service - the OR coast can be bad for getting nothing. If we can't get a Verizon signal, DW sets up a hotspot on her phone. Some CGs will have wifi but it can be slower than slow.

I do love paper maps for figuring out routes on longer trips though while DW loves her google maps (which I hate).

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jplante4 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
So yes, the idea of needing paper is dinosaur thinking.

Hey. I'm getting into my 1950 Buick and come find you for that remark!!! Where'd I put that map?

Just curious - do you use paper nautical charts?

Have some paper charts...I think they are under the mattress (keeps them from getting creases.

Haven't used paper charts since the early 90's.

Nice thing is you can download the entire USA set of charts for free.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

rogerddd
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Edd505, did you see these on the Amazon site for National G Camping Road Atlas? (https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/159775000X/ref=olp_page_1?ie=UTF8&f_all=true).

New is usually about $300. Here on Amazon a new one for $1002.00 and “Good Used” – $2,277.00 + $3.99 shipping. Please!
$1,002.30 - Red Rhino
$2,277.00 + $3.99 shipping Old Yeller Books

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Hey. I'm getting into my 1950 Buick and come find you for that remark!!! Where'd I put that map?

Just curious - do you use paper nautical charts?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerryjay11 wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
We have a paper state parks camping map from California. Every time we need it we can’t find it so we go old school and find the information on the internet.

"old school"???

Chuckle-chuckle!

I got a kick out of it also haha.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Newbiecampers wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Far easier to do a search on the internet and get more up to date info with links to the actual park and an aerial view to see what it really looks like.

At best, you are targeting dinosaurs who refuse to use better resources and they are a dying breed (actually in a littoral sense as it's mostly old folks not comfortable with technology).

I always have to chuckle when people write stuff like this. Especially the last sentence.

Did you ever consider there is still a good use for a paper source, like the lack of cell service?

We took a 21 day "on the fly" trip last summer. In other words we made no reservations, or even much campground research, in advance. We had no idea where we would be on any given day in advance. We just went.

There were many times out west when we had no cell service, and hence no internet, when looking for a place to camp. We used the little campground symbols on the spiral-bound road atlas we had more than once.

Something the OP is talking about with a greater amount of campground information would have been useful.

You can laugh at it but no service areas are becoming ever smaller (and yes, we've traveled out west) plus with just a bit of tech savvy, you can download areas ahead of time.

If you apply enough forethought to buy a map, you can download info about the area you are headed to.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'