cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Toy Haulers

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
I am inquiring for a neighbor who is considering the purchase of a 5th wheel TH, and has zero experience in the towed genre of RV's.

We spoke at length regarding the quality control issues with towables in general. He is aware that Northwood Manufacturing has a very good reputation for frame quality, and others mfrs. not as well.

The bulk of my experience is with the non-TH 5th wheels. I told him I would ask others who know more about the genre.

I know that consensus is not the plural of data, but I would be interested in hearing the positives and negatives from owners of various brands.

Thank you in advance for your input.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW
7 REPLIES 7

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Planning wrote:
...Northwood Manufacturing...

Northwood (Desert Fox) hasn't built a 5th wheel toy hauler in quite a while.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at a Grand Design Momentum the other day. Really liked it because it had better appliances, the StepAbove brand stairs, very good fit and finish. About the only thing that I would say would be a negative for me was that the loft bed was on the small size, but it wouldn't be a deal killer. Also looked at the KZ equivalent and you could see the differences between the two manufacturers.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had for a fee years a Thor Tahoe 30 ft 5er. Worked great, ramp door, no separate garage. I liked it better than regular trailers in how quick u hitch, unhitch, more stable, and the top master bedroom gives you a spacious feeling. You also have a pickup truck to recover broken bikes! Was heavier, and didn't get blown around as much as a regular trailer.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
We've had a couple of very minor things we needed fixed on our Raptor but for the most part it seems to be built as well as most other 5th wheel haulers. This is my 3rd hauler, bought the other 2 used and really didn't have issues to speak of with those either. One was a Coachman, the other was a Thor built Winners Circle.
As JAC1982 mentioned, your dealer is the make or brake person on repairing any issues you have on an RV and keeping you a happy camper!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
As has been mentioned in the other threads 2oldman posted, I think everyone's experience with their manufacturer is different. Sure, our first Keystone bumper pull toy hauler wasn't perfect, it certainly had its issues, but nothing completely terrible, but we still bought a second Keystone, and have overall been happy with it. Others have nothing but bad things to say about Keystone.

I will say, the dealer we bought our current one from has been much better than the dealer we bought the old one from, and I think that can make all the difference in the experience.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Y-Guy
As one from the Pacific Northwest one thing I like about Northwood is they are local, if you need help you're not calling out East you're calling Central Oregon. They are close enough if it needs factory attention you'r a days drive away. But overall they have a good reputation. They tend to run on the heavy side, but I also feel that quality comes at a cost and weight is one of those costs.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Similar thread

10 page quality rant
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman