Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How to check brake pad on a Freightliner DP ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > How to check brake pad on a Freightliner DP ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
larry cad

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/24/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago I spoke with the service manager at Spartan Chassis regarding the brakes on my American Tradition DP and asked him about how much does it cost to change the shoe brakes. His response was something like "in all my years as service manager, I don't remember ever having to do a brake job on a customer coach". Nuf said for me. 143000 miles on factory brakes.


Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/24/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

supercub wrote:

Thanks for the input. I just crawled under and checked the pads, easiest thing in the world to see. There's no back cover, it's completely open,. I didn't measure, but my pads looked to be at least 3/4 of inch.
Thanks again.


Partner,
You've got a long brake-life ahead of you. Especially if you use your exhaust brake accurately and efficiently. Of all the repairs, maintenance, questions, inquiries on here, almost none have ever asked on how to replace the brakes on a DP. Not that very many DP drivers could do it anyways, but a few can and, would be willing to do it, if the need arises. Anyway, you're good to go for quite a while.
Scott


Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND


rowekmr

Chicago

Senior Member

Joined: 11/22/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/24/18 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't know drum brakes lasted so long. I had a mechanic check mine when it had 105k miles. I'll try to check mines out when the weather clears. I'll bring flashlight and mirror as suggested.


05 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3855

cbeierl

Nashua, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/24/18 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ava wrote:

On a diesel pusher they should be disc brakes.


Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of them have drum brakes. Some have front disc brakes (as does my 2005 Winnebago Vectra), and a smaller number have discs all around.


Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD


Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 05/05/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/25/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 94 Bounder DP with 4 wheel disc brakes, I assumed anything newer would have the same thing.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/25/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbeierl wrote:

Ava wrote:

On a diesel pusher they should be disc brakes.


Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of them have drum brakes. Some have front disc brakes (as does my 2005 Winnebago Vectra), and a smaller number have discs all around.


Wow Chris,
Your coach and ours, even though a year apart, should be close to identical. Especially since they're both 36' units. But, yours has disc brakes up front and ours has drums, hmmmm. You don't by any chance have independent front suspension do you?
Scott

cbeierl

Nashua, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/21/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

cbeierl wrote:

Ava wrote:

On a diesel pusher they should be disc brakes.


Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of them have drum brakes. Some have front disc brakes (as does my 2005 Winnebago Vectra), and a smaller number have discs all around.


Wow Chris,
Your coach and ours, even though a year apart, should be close to identical. Especially since they're both 36' units. But, yours has disc brakes up front and ours has drums, hmmmm. You don't by any chance have independent front suspension do you?
Scott


Late response, Scott--sorry! Yes, I do have IFS along with the discs.

* This post was edited 03/21/19 10:31pm by cbeierl *

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/21/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cbeierl wrote:

FIRE UP wrote:

cbeierl wrote:

Ava wrote:

On a diesel pusher they should be disc brakes.


Actually, I think you'll find that the majority of them have drum brakes. Some have front disc brakes (as does my 2005 Winnebago Vectra), and a smaller number have discs all around.


Wow Chris,
Your coach and ours, even though a year apart, should be close to identical. Especially since they're both 36' units. But, yours has disc brakes up front and ours has drums, hmmmm. You don't by any chance have independent front suspension do you?
Scott


Late response, Scott--sorry! Yes, I do have IFS along with the discs.


Hey Chris,
No worries on the late response. I do it too. Thanks for getting back to me on this. Good to know there's these kinds of differences in very closely made coaches.
Scott

Stim

NE Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/23/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/23/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some drum brakes are exposed and some have dust shields.
If dust shields there will be a slot roughly 12 o'clock 6 o'clock for inspection of shoe thickness.
Always check for oil leaking, grease slinging, ie bad seal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > How to check brake pad on a Freightliner DP ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS