cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a difference in Diesel Fuel?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to start a trip and I need to fill up, I'll probably take 100 plus gallons to top off. I have a RV plus card that I use at Flying J's that allows for an extra discount. However there's a Quick Stop that has Diesel 35 cents a gallon less. It's a large station, even has 6 devoted truck lanes that appear to be always full, so I don't think old fuel is a problem. So is there a difference in diesel fuel? Am I safe in buying diesel there, Is it the same quality that I typically get at the Flying J's.
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I recently filled up at a Buc-ees (high volume) for $2.69/gallon while the Flying J almost across the street was $2.99. No difference, just Pilot / Flying J has become the highest priced fuel anywhere ever since the merger many years ago.

Amen.

The big truck stops have rebate deals with major truck fleets which maske the true price of fuel. This method also helps keep small fleet and RVs out the way of their fleet customers. I never use truck stops except for bulk DEF.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
The higher the % of Bio-Diesel, the less MPG you`ll get -- Flying J sometimes has a 20% Bio -- Bill Willard

My MPG went down by 1 MPG after filling with bio 20. That makes sense.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We look for several things when filling up. One, how clean is the station? Clean stations typically mean they care more about their stuff including quality of their fuel. Two, do the pumps have filters on them to keep the water from the fuel you're putting in you tank. Condensation builds up in their huge tanks same as it does in your fuel tank. Hate it when you fill up and 10 miles down the road you have to stop and drain water from your tank. Three, nozzle size. Not a biggie but I'd rather pump at 60gal/min than three. Those little nozzles take forever to fuel up a large tank.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got diesel near BWI airport in Baltimore and it was $3.09 near the airport and 2.69 just 1 mile away. Had same thing happen at a Loves near Savanah. $3.09 and down the street at Kroger it was $2.62. My normal fill up is 100gal so do the math. Gas Buddy is your friend

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
The only difference I have ever seen in my travels is in colder weather some stations have winter blends which gives a little less mpg. Other than that I have never seen any difference in diesel as #2 diesel fuel is #2 diesel fuel. I usually buy the lowest price diesel fuel at truck stops. I have been adding an additive to be on the safe side.;)

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Check it out on Gas Buddy, Quick Stop in Livingston Ca, and check against other stations in the areas. I've noticed in the past they're always cheaper, but have never stopped, but I think I'm going to this time.

I try to find a Costco' definitely the cheapest in my area, and so easy to get in and out, even with a toad !~
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference and there are standards.
Standard diesel fuel (sometimes called diesel oil) comes in two grades: Diesel #1 (or 1-D) and Diesel #2 (or 2-D). Just as gasoline is rated by its octane, diesel fuel is rated by its cetane, which indicates how easy it is to ignite and how fast it burns. The higher the cetane number, the more volatile the fuel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
Extremely high likelihood both stations are supplied by exactly the same refinery.

In this specific. Flying-J does have it's own refinery (Well they share with pilot) or did last I knew. But usually yes.

I will add this. There is a difference in STATIONS..

I am more familiar with Gasoline and did a term paper on Standard Oil when in college so this info is somewhat "Dated" (1960's).

The state of Michigan, allows a gas station to have UP TO a specific amount of water in the bottom of the storage tanks.. Standard.. allowed their stations to have exactly 1/2 that amount before they called in for service, and they tested it every dilevery.

ONE station (NOT Standard) was caught topping off the storage tanks with a garden hose. (Water)...

So there is a difference in STATIONS.

Had a Standard Station manager or worse yet owner/operator done that back in the day... Well the sign crew would be taking down the sign. likely before the shouting died down.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YES there IS a difference.............

$0.35/per gallon difference

Best answer award
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I recently filled up at a Buc-ees (high volume) for $2.69/gallon while the Flying J almost across the street was $2.99. No difference, just Pilot / Flying J has become the highest priced fuel anywhere ever since the merger many years ago.

When gassing up my truck at the Pilot I noticed gas prices same as stations down street but diesel was 35cents higher than stations down street.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Amen.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
The higher the % of Bio-Diesel, the less MPG you`ll get -- Flying J sometimes has a 20% Bio -- Bill Willard

This is very true. 20% Bio at a lot of pumps is cheaper and it should be. More **** to clog your fuel filters and less MPG. Doesn't burn as hot.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Extremely high likelihood both stations are supplied by exactly the same refinery.

Said another way, very unlikely that each brand has its own refinery. And, with diesel, additives are not an important part of the fuel.

Go with the less expensive one.

Correct. Diesel fuel, as well as gasoline may come from different refineries but most of it goes through the same pipelines to the same tank farm before it gets locally distributed to dispensing stations for wholesale/retail sale. Branding fuels only involves proprietary additive blends which are a very small portion of the fuel. There are some exceptions to this but it's mostly true.

Chum lee