cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for opinions on tow bars

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
What would some of you folks advise for a tow bar and why? There are so many tow bars it makes me want to go to the bar. ๐Ÿ™‚ Are there any must have features? Any agreement on what is considered the best? Any to avoid? What works well for you? I have my toad so am trying to decide. Thanks.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
15 REPLIES 15

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
We use the NSA Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake setup along with their emergency breakaway switch on our 200* Jeep JK Sahara. My wife and I installed the whole setup ourselves and it was relatively easy. Lifetime warranty on the towbar and pretty straightforward to use. Works well, priced right (around $1200 for entire setup) (not including baseplate). Highly recommend the NSA system.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the NSA ReadyBrute Elite combined tow bar and brake system. The all-terrain (non-binding) tow bar is aluminum and rated at 8,000 lbs.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are in Eugene, a 2 hour drive North puts you in Vancouver, WA--the home of Roadmaster. If you are thinking about a Roadmaster setup, you might want to think about having the factory do the instal instead of a RV service center.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Demco Commander lightweight and 6500 pound capacity.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have have only used one for about 16 years now. A Demco Aluminiator never had a problem with it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
OK a question. What happens when a tow bar binds? Any way to tell a binding from a non binding ?

A tow bar usually binds when the towed vehicle and the motorhome are not on the same plain. Essentially the tow bar is being twisted and the pins will be tight in the bore making them difficult to remove.

Most tow bars today are of the non-binding variety. The end at the motorhome is on a swivel to prevent twisting. The locking mechanisms on the bars have grooves cut so that they can still be activated whether or not the motorhome and the towed vehicle are level to one another.

Usually the manufacturer identifies these units as "All Terrain".

We currently use a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain. Our original was a Sterling. It was the predecessor to the All Terrain model. The locking grooves in the bars were square cut. Essentially the lock dropped into a slot. The newer All Terrain series has a more tapered groove keeping the lock from binding.

There are still situations where a "non-binding" tow bar will bind. The most common situation is when the motorhome has been turned sharply and the wheels on the towed vehicle are hitting the turn stops.

They're not fool proof, but will tolerate a much greater difference in angles of the motorhome and towed vehicle.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Check out NSA ReadyBrute. Towbar and integrated surge brake. Lighter system than many, less expensive supplemental brake system. Tough to find many negative comments - simple system that just works!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I found a Blue Ox Aventa II on craigs list along with an iRV2 brake for $900. They were the final memories of an older gent who got too old to RV. I though he was going to cry.

I spent another $50 on new washers, nuts and boots from Blue Ox. Those and a rattle can of black Rustoleum and it's like having a brand new bar.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
For many years, on several different Jeeps and pickups, I used a Reese fixed arm/adjustable width 5000 lb. capacity towbar.
To hear some people on these forums tell it, such a bar was the worst thing ever invented, impossible to hook up by oneself, and often impossible to disconnect.
Oddly enough, I seldom had a problem with it. It just did the job it was designed to do, and did it quite well!
IMO, it all boils down to two issues:
1. The budget one has to work within (that Reese towbar is now about $165 at Walmart).
and
2. Personal preference.

When the day came when I needed more than the 5000 lb. capacity, I was lucky enough to find a Roadmaster Stowmaster 6000 lb. capacity telescoping arm unit on CL for $250. It did exactly the same job as the inexpensive Reese unit did. It was slightly easier to hook up and unhook, but, IMO, nothing to get excited about. The fact that it folded up on the front of the truck was nice, though.
I still have it, hanging on the wall in the shop. I suppose I should sell it, but I might need it again! It isn't taking up much space out there...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
OK a question. What happens when a tow bar binds? Any way to tell a binding from a non binding ?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain non binding here. Awesome tow bar. Got it on CL like new for $225. Score!

Edit... You canโ€™t really go wrong with any of the big names. As recommended already, make sure to get a non binding one.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it is nonbinding, I think almost all new ones are. We use A Falcon All Terrain.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had an excalibur and most recently used an aventa II.
bumpy

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have Roadmaster tow equipment that works great, but Blue Ox or Demco products seem to be the most popular brands. These companies should have all the parts to fit your toad and offer good service.