cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport refused trailer from factory?

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
So the wife and I bought our second (first new) TT at the RV show recently. Sold our other one to make room. Dealership said first week in April it was on the build sheet, and we should have it the 13th.

Here it is the 24th, so I give them a call and ask for a new ETA and see what I can expect. Come to find out that the transport company refused to take delivery of the trailer because of 'issues' (he said the stickers were scratched?).

Anyone have any idea what exactly this will mean for us? Do they have to rebuild? Concerned because we've already started booking based on the dealers promises that we would have it before the end of April. First trip is May 12th for a 10 day trip to Duluth MN.

Is this a common occurrence? Anything I should be on the lookout for besides a gash in the side of a trailer (how would the stickers get scratched anyways?). Hate getting all excited for something, then slowly having the excitement turn into frustration as you watch the days tick away not knowing if you will even have a camper in time.

FYI, we sold a used 2010 Kodiak 24RB-SL that we picked up 2 years ago, and bought a new 2018 Salem 27RKSS. It will be a nice upgrade when it finally comes!
23 REPLIES 23

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
No pictures yet - picking it up on the 2nd. Spring had sprung finally! Just moved into a new house in November, so I've been itching to get out and start working on stuff. Heading up to Burlington Bay for our maiden voyage. Up in Two Harbors if you've not familiar. Pictures to come I due time.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
OK, how is your new "resort on wheels"? Get any pictures? This is a good posting app to this Forum, compiled by one of our moderators: Photoposting is great

Nice day again, today, the OP is probably loading gear and futzing with the WDH. Spring is coming strong to MN, can't wait to get outside!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad it's working out and hope they did a good job on the repair if not refuse the trailer.

If it was the transport company that caught the mistake they saved you a lot of greif.

Glowrdr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it looks like I got anxious a day early (although, if I didn't raise a flag - I don't know that they would have jumped through hoops that fast).

This was actually Coates that I've been dealing with. Sounds like there was an issue with the actual side panel of the trailer, not just the sticker. The factory replaced the panel, and it will actually be there tomorrow. I have an appointment on Tuesday to go and pick it up. So barring no further setbacks - the only real complaint that I have was the lack of communication.

Sounds like the delay was for the best. I did place a call (and email) with Forest River (Salem) but have not heard back yet. They say it can take up to 48 hours, and I expect they probably would have had to do a little digging to figure out which one was mine.

Thanks everyone for ideas - Here's to hoping everything works out!

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is you bought from Monticello RV. Am I close?

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't note which dealer....but Coates RV just north of the cities has one on the lot as of this morning. If that is your dealer, time for them to offer it up at a steep discount. Or if another local dealer, have them transfer it from Coates to them, then to you. Or just void your sale with them, and get the one from Coates..... you could be towing your new trailer as soon as today!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the dealer gave you the delivery date you wanted, rather than the one the factory was prepared to meet.

Been there. We canceled three trips last year because our incompetent dealer failed to deliver the unit we ordered as promised, and subsequent warranty work took weeks instead of a few days, again due to their ineptitude.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
bdpreece wrote:
Delivery drivers don't refuse rv's unless it would be unsafe to travel. They just make note of the damage before they pick it up and have the shipper initial.

This.
They're handing you a line a BS.

X2! Delivery drivers don't care about stuff like that unless the decal is flapping in the wind. All they want to do is get the RV to its destination in the same shape it was when it left the manuf lot. Its not up to the transport company to do a quality inspection, just a safety inspection.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
Delivery drivers don't refuse rv's unless it would be unsafe to travel. They just make note of the damage before they pick it up and have the shipper initial.
. I dont entirely agree with this, we have had several occasions to hire transporters for various vehicles and reasons. In every case of new or used unit every discrepancy , nick, ding, scratch, suspect issue was photoed, documented, signed off on . Normal wear and road conditions are the transporters responsibility, but when they see a defective product it is to their credit they refuse the freight.

Horizons Transport we use is such a company with independent sub contractors

The transporter must have refused to take the unit on issues they observed that the mfgr. could not resolve before delivery to the buyer or that the mfgr refused responsibility for. I hold this unknown transporter in high esteem, his astute view of his freight cost him the value of that transport. Saved you delivery of a defective product.

Given such exceptional transporter morality, poor factory response I'd do some shopping. Rent for your upcoming vavation, backcharge the dealer and mfgr for the rental cost. I think Law is on your side as it appears breach of contract.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
bdpreece wrote:

This.
They're handing you a line a BS.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Or the dealer sold it to someone else who was willing to pay more$$
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbors have this exact floor plan in the Sonoma model. It’s a very nice floor plan, but if your 5’ 11” or taller, the lack of ceiling height is noticeable. Outside of that, if your going to dump it, due to damage, I would make sure you go for the same floor plan, or our model (below) which has a much higher ceiling.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J wrote:
It's good for you the transport company refused to deliver a flawed trailor, otherwise, it would have ended up at the dealer's and they don't see flaws. I believe you should consider youself fortunate.
Also, if you would have expected delivery last week or before, your new trailer would have been in a snow drift with two feet of snow on the roof. Count your blessings, it may be something as simple as a scratched ID plate where the driver's been instructed not to pick up without a valid number on the tag.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton