cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual Honda 2200's

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to buy 2 Honda 2200 generators to run in parallel, but I have some questions.

I noticed there is a "companion" model that is $100 more that includes a 30amp plug. But from my research it looks like it is a different type of plug than what I need for my RV. So, why would I pay $100 more for this model?

If I buy 2 basic 2200 models, then do I just need a simple parallel cable to connect them, or do I need to buy a "kit"? Once they are connected, do I just use the 50amp to 30amp adapter that came with my camper, along with a 30amp to 20amp adapter?

If someone could post some links to actual products to connect them, it would be great.

Thanks

Tim
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
40 REPLIES 40

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
tim1970 wrote:
I am planning on running dual 2200's, so I am hoping I don't have any issues starting my 15K unit and keeping it running.

Running it no, but starting it? ... you'd be a candidate for a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit.
??????
My dual 2000s start my 15K AC just fine in any condition.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
tim1970 wrote:
I noticed there is a "companion" model that is $100 more that includes a 30amp plug. But from my research it looks like it is a different type of plug than what I need for my RV. So, why would I pay $100 more for this model?

The Companion version is no different electrically than the standard model and only has a standard 30 amp twist lock receptacle as a matter of convenience when paralleled to a standard model. The reason it doesn't have a TT-30 receptacle is that these gensets aren't sold solely to the RV market but for all sorts of different uses where a 30 amp twist lock is the standard configuration. Whether you buy one standard model and a Companion OR two standard models is entirely up to you ... personally I'd go with two standard models so they can be used alternately, with no adaptation, when both in parallel aren't required.
I did just the opposite. I have two companions.
My reason?
The twist lock adaptor I have is so much better than any of the standard 110 ones I have seen. They seem like junk in comparison. With two companions I am able to use either one with equal ease.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
Seriously, if you have the money, it's good to go with the Hondas. Many of us just don't see the value with their prices so high.

It's often what you don't see that makes the difference. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I just had a 3.5 yr old dryer repaired, cost would have been $500+ if we hadn't purchased extended warranty at the time we bought it. Much of what we buy is like that - looks pretty on the outside, works fine for awhile, but the days of expecting anything be it an appliance or a generator to last any more than a few short years are long gone. What I can say though is that both of my Honda EU2000i gensets, both of which were purchased used, worked perfectly and I'd expect would continue to work perfectly for many, many years. "You get what you pay for" isn't entirely an expression false expectation.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
1800 running watts apiece. With two of them, that's about the same as being plugged into a 30 amp circuit. Should be fine. And, while traveling, just think of the weight of all that money you dumped at the Honda dealer you won't have to lug around! Seriously, if you have the money, it's good to go with the Hondas. Many of us just don't see the value with their prices so high.

it's the same as shore power for continous power. nowhere near the same as 30A shore power for surge. A typical 30A shore power can easily supply the 50-75A LRA surge needed for a AC unit while only dropping a few volts, basically a ideal voltage source. A source that can keep the voltage constant regardless of the current draw.

The generator is NOT the same, it's a "current limited voltage source" It can ONLY provide the 120V when current demand is below it's limit, usually in the 30ish Amp range. That's why a single 2000ish VA generator has a problem starting an AC while a 120V 15A shore power again seldom has an issue.
Even a 15A shore power is pretty much an ideal voltage source with 50+A surge capability.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
1800 running watts apiece. With two of them, that's about the same as being plugged into a 30 amp circuit. Should be fine. And, while traveling, just think of the weight of all that money you dumped at the Honda dealer you won't have to lug around! Seriously, if you have the money, it's good to go with the Hondas. Many of us just don't see the value with their prices so high.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
There is dog bone that connects the 30A receptacle on the Companion to the end of the shore power cord on the trailer.

tim1970 wrote:
I am about to buy 2 Honda 2200 generators to run in parallel, but I have some questions.

If I buy 2 basic 2200 models, then do I just need a simple parallel cable to connect them, or do I need to buy a "kit"? Once they are connected, do I just use the 50amp to 30amp adapter that came with my camper, along with a 30amp to 20amp adapter?

If someone could post some links to actual products to connect them, it would be great.

Thanks

Tim
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
2oldman wrote:

I think the 'take away' here for anyone reading is that whether one 2k or 2.2k will start and run your air is entirely an individual experience.
This IMO is THE one and only correct broad statement that can be made. The generator will be running near its capacity. If it's slightly below capacity, there's no problem. But when something is near the edge, little things can make all the difference, for instance: Temperature, humidity, characteristics of the specific air conditioner, tune condition of the generator, RV owner controlling other loads, battery state of charge, elevation, location of the generator (sun, shade, etc.), quality of the dogbone connector, and other little details.

at low altitude my experience on my AC unit and many others is that a honda 2000 has plenty of reserve to keep 13.5K AC units running if you can get them started. It's the engine power that gets you as altitude goes up. somewhere around 3500-4500 FT the 2000 engine starts to reduce generator output and it eventually overloads. And at low altitude they aren't running near flat out. High altitude, yup. And at high altitude using one generator w/o a micro air easy start very often is an excercise in futility to get the AC started anyway. Some people are successful, but many more seem to be out of luck.

And even at low altitude you need to make sure the fridge is on propane, and other AC loads are turned off, like the converter etc.

But the new 2200 has a 20% larger engine but 10% more power. So, first it has more reserve, and second with the larger engine it may also not loose max output till a higher altitude.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
tim1970 wrote:
road-runner wrote:
2oldman wrote:

I think the 'take away' here for anyone reading is that whether one 2k or 2.2k will start and run your air is entirely an individual experience.
This IMO is THE one and only correct broad statement that can be made. The generator will be running near its capacity. If it's slightly below capacity, there's no problem. But when something is near the edge, little things can make all the difference, for instance: Temperature, humidity, characteristics of the specific air conditioner, tune condition of the generator, RV owner controlling other loads, battery state of charge, elevation, location of the generator (sun, shade, etc.), quality of the dogbone connector, and other little details.

My original question was about running DUAL 2200's for my 15K unit, and how to connect the 2 generators. Is there a possibility this setup will not run my AC?

I'd say it's highlhy likely the dual 2200's will not have a problem. But there is no guarantee, doesn't say there won't be, but before I got my micro air easy start, I used dual 2000's to start and run my 13.5K unit. the pair would easily start and run the AC unit at altitudes above 5,000ft at temps near 100F even when in eco mode when the AC kicked in with the factory installed starting cap.

What I will say is that dual 2200's with a micro air easy start you will not have a problem starting the AC units. But then that may be way overkill.

The 2200's give an extra 400VA of starting power.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
tim1970 wrote:

My original question was about running DUAL 2200's for my 15K unit, and how to connect the 2 generators. Is there a possibility this setup will not run my AC?
Opinion alert. Is there a possibility dual 2200s won't run the air conditioner, yes, but it's extremely small. I'm basing this on a few reports of failure with an eu3000i, which "should" easily work. If there isn't something out of whack with the air conditioner, generators, wiring, and you don't have something like the electric water heater and/or microwave running at the same time, I think you're darn close to 100% safe with the dual 2200s.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tim1970 wrote:
A possibility? Yes. A probability? No. I think you'll be fine. That's 4400 watts, and Hondas have a good surge capability unlike cheaper gens. Heck, you might even be able to make coffee while you're running the air.. but don't quote me!

Sometimes our posts get a bit off-track. Sorry about that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
2oldman wrote:

2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:

2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
And contrary to pundits' opinions here on the forum the genset (eu2000) never ran full tilt running A/C but rather only a few hundred rpm above Eco speed.
Lucky you.

I think the 'take away' here for anyone reading is that whether one 2k or 2.2k will start and run your air is entirely an individual experience. I just remember my 2k sounding like it was about ready to come apart running my Duotherm briskair. Running 2 in parallel was much easier on them, and me, and probably my a/c. I've read other reports of the 2k running it for a while, but eventually shutting down on overload.

YMMV. Caveat emptor.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
tim1970 wrote:
I am planning on running dual 2200's, so I am hoping I don't have any issues starting my 15K unit and keeping it running.

Running it no, but starting it? ... you'd be a candidate for a Micro-Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit.

I have heard of people running and starting a 15K unit with 3000 watt generators who don't have an easy start installed. Are you saying that with dual 2000's it wont start a 15K unit without an easy start?
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS