cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Grand Cherokee Toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We bought a 2014 Grand Cherokee set up for towing with a Air Force 1 brake installed and I'm wondering about battery drain while towing.

While I haven't towed the car yet my garage testing shows that when the car is turned off it draws 8A+ (lights etc) and tapers to 0.02A in 10 minutes. That would imply that a charge line is not necessary for towing. Any experience with this or other areas associated with this setup?

Apparently the AF1 does not use any DC power for normal braking other than a visual light indicating the brake is applied.

I would have added a charge line except removing the entire front of the car is required to access the wiring plug.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
10 REPLIES 10

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
What I've learned: My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland has hydraulic power steering. It is powered by an electric motor which is off when towed. ...

That's interesting...my 2014 Grand Chreokee Overland (Hemi) has a belt driven pump for the power steering. How did you figure out that yours has a electric pump?
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I've learned: My 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland has hydraulic power steering. It is powered by an electric motor which is off when towed. In 2016 the steering was changed to electronic steering which can have the wobble. Other models both pre and post 2014 have electronic steering and may have the wobble.

Some Jeep models have a fix which involves a switch on the console which turns on the electronic steering for towing.

One poster said GM uses the same electronic steering. There are posts indicating Ford and GM can have the wobble.

When you put all of this into the internet pot and stir various posts and opinions are posted and it takes time (for me) to sort out my situation.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert and there may be errors above but I hope this post will help others. So as of now I don't think I'll have a wobble problem.

Bob

Gottahaveit
We have the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and have never had a problem with the wobble etc. We use the older Brake Buddy, plug it in set to Neutral with a silly ink pin and were good to go.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I don't believe the GRAND Cherokee had the dreaded death wobble.

FMCA site has reports of the Grand Cherokee with the death wobble. And worse, from what I read, the wiring harness fix for the Cherokee will not work on the Grand Cherokee. I read that a fix is in development with no release date.

Someone also mentioned that the 2018 Wrangler now also has the electronic steering?
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The AF1 doesn't use any electric power so I should be OK. Well OK I have it set up to light a MH cab LED when the brakes are applied but that is a trivial amount of power.

If I have to replace the harness connector (looks a little worn) then I'd likely add the charge line at that time.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my 2014 GC since it was new. RVi 2 brake system (runs off battery) and no battery charge line. Never have had a problem.
Unless you are always on the brakes hard the toad brake system isn't doing anything so very little battery draw.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The 14 JGC does not need a charge line UNLESS you are using battery power for your aux braking system, then yes

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't believe the GRAND Cherokee had the dreaded death wobble. That was limited to the Cherokee only due to electronic steering. That said, IMO it's always nice to have the added security of keeping the battery at full capacity. If the OP decides not to install the extra wire, it's easy enough to simply run the toad for a few minutes when you stop for fuel, at rest stops or if you stop to eat somewhere. A quick five minutes should be sufficient....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Oops
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same 2014. I use the older style Brake buddy and have not had any problem with battery life after towing all day. I do not have a charge line