cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Length of TT's for State parks

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
What's the max length limits for TT's if I want to still get into state parks and are there more restrictive length limits for TT's for private parks then public?
I'm sure it doesn't make much difference for "off the grid" camping with TT's but I've been hearing rumors of length limits for public and state areas?
just thought I'd ask before I buy too long of one.
18 REPLIES 18

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
As discussed in another thread, fitting in a popular campground may require making reservations a year ahead. A lot also depends on length of stay.
For the state campgrounds we go to every year in S.C., the longer you wait and the longer your camper, the less likely you are to get a spot.
That said, you still should get the camper that fits you and your family.

Some State Parks like TOPSAIL HILL STATE PARK, in Santa Rosa, Fl.
Begin taking reservations after the first of the year. They fill up fast.
By April you get what's left. Not great spots.
I visited there one year, reserved my preference of campsites after the first of the year. By May their openings are the occasional cancellation.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Really depends on the state. Most in IN and OH have sites big enough to accommodate very large trailers. Some in NJ tend to have smaller sites with twisty access roads with trees next to the road, making them more difficult. It really varies.

25 feet will work just about anywhere though.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
wrenchbender wrote:
It has been my experience 25ft loa is the comfort limit.

25 ft will get you in anywhere!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience 25ft loa is the comfort limit.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We stay most often in State Parks in Calif. Never had a problem with our 35 ft TT. I think there is a very small number of State Parks that cannot accommodate us so we cross them off our list.

One problem you can run into however is a limited number of spaces for the longer rigs. For instance, a State Park might have 100 sites but only 15 that can accommodate the bigger rigs.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the input

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
As discussed in another thread, fitting in a popular campground may require making reservations a year ahead. A lot also depends on length of stay.
For the state campgrounds we go to every year in S.C., the longer you wait and the longer your camper, the less likely you are to get a spot.
That said, you still should get the camper that fits you and your family.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We went from an 18 foot travel trailer, to a 31 foot, to a 35 foot, and am still camping at the same State Parks we tent camped in. The only difference is, we have to select our sites by length when we make reservations.

Ergo the reason many much prefer owning a shorter trailer as no reservations are needed. :B The longest trailer we've ever owned was our 24' K-Z Spree which measured 26' 9" coupler to bumper and in all the travels we did throughout many eastern US states with that trailer I never once had any difficulty getting on-site. However I concluded I likewise wouldn't have wanted anything longer and in fact would have preferred 25' as the maximum coupler to bumper length. As it is, our current trailer which measures 22' 6" coupler to bumper, is even better as I can place it on any site, meaning my need for reserving ahead of time is for all intents and purposes eliminated. :B I only now reserve if we're camping with friends / relatives and want to be nearby, otherwise I save the ressie fee and just show up ... because I can. :B This is especially helpful when we're traveling as it means we're not locked into being any particular place at any particular time. :B It's also helpful in that we no longer have to plan months ahead when we're camping but rather just go when the mood strikes us. :B For many of us, shorter is a significantly better choice. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
checkout campsitephotos.com , you can view videos of sites which has helped me choose a site.

While I have found some sites are long enough , sometimes I pass on certain sites that have steep inclines as you enter the site, with trees too close to the road where it inhibits pivoting the TV in order to back in.
I have found that many older state and national parks are more tent oriented where the roads are narrow and the sites have dips or hilly terrain making it stressful on the hitch when trying to back in.

In the past upon arriving at a campground, I have tried to relocate a reserved site because I was afraid to damage my hitch. In mid season, that can be difficult to do with site availability at a minimum .
Now, when I roam around the country, I pick and choose my seasons when kids are back in school. July and August I'm hooked up on a privately owned lakefront site .

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Every park in which I've ever stayed, whether private or public, has different limits as befits their varied topography. They don't stamp out camp sites using a mold or die, they carve them out as fits the location, and what's more, it's perfectly legal to do that. Thus there is no answer to the question. Whatever rig you get will be too long for some sites and some campgrounds..........

Look at an Alabama State Park sometime, and you'd think they used a rubber stamp to print those sites on the map. Same perfect angle to the road, same length, same position of the picnic table........

I haven't stayed in one yet, but my co-worker has and he commented he didn't like Alabama Parks because in many cases they graded the area perfect, put in a road, did the cookie cutter sites, and then replanted trees to fit that layout. Its just too sanitary for him.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
State parks in the eastern part of the country tend to be older and have smaller campsites than ones here in the west but it depends. If you look up the web sites for the parks that interest you, you can usually find out what size restrictions exist.

My late husband and I traveled most of the country in a 36' MH and toad and only found one state park we couldn't get into and it was in Missouri. There were some others with 90 degree angle sites that were impossible to get into without driving on the grass. By and large you won't have trouble finding camping opportunities if you do your research.

Some states, like TX and OR, have many RV-friendly state parks and most are accessible to just about any size RV.

Note: National Parks and USFS campgrounds are another story.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It varies on what state and where you want to camp. A lot of older public parks were built many years ago and a lot only accommodate 25' or so RV'S some with a few sites for larger rigs. Private campgrounds there should not be a issue.

Like others have said sometimes it's not the site that restrict the size but the access road getting to the site.

John_Bridge
Explorer
Explorer
My problem has always been national parks, not state parks. Texas parks, for example, most of them, will accommodate anything you can drive or pull in with. Full hookups, some even have cable tv. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have just downsized from a big fifth wheel to a 28 foot travel trailer. I hope to get into more national parks.

Additionally, almost every state has Corps of Engineers parks. Most of those will take any size that comes. ๐Ÿ™‚
Semi-"retarred" in 2006. ๐Ÿ™‚ 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We went from an 18 foot travel trailer, to a 31 foot, to a 35 foot, and am still camping at the same State Parks we tent camped in. The only difference is, we have to select our sites by length when we make reservations.

In private parks, we've NEVER had a problem getting a spot, at any KOA, any GoodSam, or any Mom-and-pop campground, anywhere.

Check the reservation sites for the state park you are considering. The length of the sites should be indicated. When selecting a site, use the true length of your camper, bumper to hitch, or bumper to bumper. Now, you may not get that spot that's covered with a 100 percent canopy of trees right along the water's edge, but that's the trade off for a larger RV. But, we've never been to a campground anywhere that had too short of sites. We've been turned away because there was no room and no reservations possible, but not because of trailer size.

Wisconsin has some really nice campsites, but sometimes navigating through the park can be an interesting experience though. And we were at a couple State Parks in South Carolina that had really nice campsites, but navigating the turns to get there was ... well ... "interesting"! But I chocked that up to experience, and it gave me an opportunity to increase my towing skills! :E Which it did!