Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a Barker TOTE, you?

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am thinking about going with a Barker 42 gallon tote tank p/n 30884
rather than a Thetford. I like the valve and hose configuration.

Anyone have one that can comment or and Thetford 42 gallon tote comments?

I am a little worried about how small the front wheels are

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba
44 REPLIES 44

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Don't flatter yourself. I don't particularly care about how you deal with waste water, but I do care about misinformation.

Lastly, it's amazing just how long and hard you're willing to defend an obscure, niche oriented viewpoint. For the most part you offer good information. However, whenever you're challenged, you sometimes go down with the ship---often times producing almost comical levels of teflon in the process.
Where's the "misinformation" or "lack of imagination" in using a waste macerator to off load into tank(s) already sitting in the back of the truck? :h Once again, a feeble attempt to attack another forum member just because you don't have to agree with the opinion offered. :S Your loss, not mine. :B
Hhmm, not agreeing with your opinion is 'my loss'? Interesting perspective you have there, SoundGuy. Speaks volumes--lol!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Don't flatter yourself. I don't particularly care about how you deal with waste water, but I do care about misinformation.

Lastly, it's amazing just how long and hard you're willing to defend an obscure, niche oriented viewpoint. For the most part you offer good information. However, whenever you're challenged, you sometimes go down with the ship---often times producing almost comical levels of teflon in the process.

Where's the "misinformation" or "lack of imagination" in using a waste macerator to off load into tank(s) already sitting in the back of the truck? :h Once again, a feeble attempt to attack another forum member just because you don't have to agree with the opinion offered. :S Your loss, not mine. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Well lots of ideals and comments, I appreciate them all.

I am going with the Barker 42 gallon. I have a long bed truck so space not a issue.

We have a lot of National Park Campgrounds here with power only and a sani dump within the campground

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Your keyboard imagination is running away with you. :W . . .

As for disposing of the contents where's the issue? A full 7 gal Aquatainer weighs 60 lbs when full, the only "lifting" involved is lowering the 'Tainer from the tailgate to the ground at the dump station. That's what, maybe 3' ? ... geez, I'm in my 7th decade and I don't have any problem with it.

You also seem to be mistaken in thinking I care about how you or anyone else deals with waste water ... I don't, to each his/her own. However, the OP's thread title - "Thinking about a Barker TOTE, you?" - to which my answer is - no, absolutely not, never would ever consider one again, for all the reasons outlined.
My imagination is not running away, if anything it's your lack of imagination that's tripping you up. Anyone with any common sense knows that dealing with raw sewage in an open environment is a messy, smelly accident waiting to happen.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

You also seem to be mistaken in thinking I care about how you or anyone else deals with waste water ... I don't, to each his/her own. However, the OP's thread title - "Thinking about a Barker TOTE, you?" - to which my answer is - no, absolutely not, never would ever consider one again, for all the reasons outlined.

Well, you've made you're point, and the rest of us have made ours, so I expect the OP has more than enough information now to decide what will work best for him.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
IMO, pumping raw waste into 3-6 open Aqua-tainers (vs. one sealed tote) is messy, visually unappealing, and hard on the nose--lol!

Where am I mistaken?

Your keyboard imagination is running away with you. :W First, 99% of the time I'm off loading grey water, but with the trailer having a 30 gal black water tank macerated black only rarely. If I were off loading black on a regular basis then I'm sure I could DIY a sealed method of feeding the tanks but as it is there's really no reason to. My point is that with a macerator on hand I always have the option of off loading BW should it ever be necessary without having to move the trailer to the dump site, without having to fool with a stinky slinky, without the need for a heavy tote tank.

As for disposing of the contents where's the issue? A full 7 gal Aquatainer weighs 60 lbs when full, the only "lifting" involved is lowering the 'Tainer from the tailgate to the ground at the dump station. That's what, maybe 3' ? ... geez, I'm in my 7th decade and I don't have any problem with it.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Thetford, but will most likely sell it in favor of a Barker with the pneumatic tires. It's true what's been said here - there is always water left in it. But it does have a popup indicator when it's getting full, and comes with a small hose connection and a port to connect to so you can rinse it out. Too bad the Barker doesn't have these, but not a deal breaker for me.

I tow mine to the dump station and use a bungee cord to hold the handle on the hitch ball. I don't really care how much noise it makes going down the road. People wave to me, and I wave back. Biggest issue for me now is having to haul it in the basement of the new fifth wheel. Before, it traveled in the bed of the truck. Best of all, it works with gravity, and if that's not keeping things simple, I don't know what is.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'd hate to be tied down to only staying on sites without sewers until my tanks filled up though. A macerator doesn't help with that. I find hauling a tote to the dump station once a week much less of a PITA than breaking camp to move the entire coach there to dump.
Of course a macerator helps with this, in fact it's THE best answer. Simply off load grey or macerated black water into inexpensive, easy to store, easy to clean Aquatainers that are already sitting in the back of the truck - no heavy tote to deal with, no stinky slinky, no need for a sewer inlet, no need to move the coach to dump. K.I.S.S. :B
And how do those 60lb Aquatainers get out of the truck to empty into the dump station?

. . . .
Good question. SoundGuy hasn't addressed how he empties 3-6 almost 60 lb. Aquatainers at the nearby sani-dump. Never seen an aquatainer with a zero-lift, gravity-dump capability.

If you remove the screw on lid on those aquatainers, and lay them on their side in the bed of the truck, they drain quite nicely and would be empty long before you ever each the dump station.

I don't know how going through the process with a macerator and jugs is easier than hooking my Barker to the ball, towing it to the dump station, connecting a hose and pulling a handle, but whatever works I guess. Most of the time I can back the truck right up to it after I fill it so I only have to lift the donut handle a foot and a half and move it a foot or two.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'd hate to be tied down to only staying on sites without sewers until my tanks filled up though. A macerator doesn't help with that. I find hauling a tote to the dump station once a week much less of a PITA than breaking camp to move the entire coach there to dump.
Of course a macerator helps with this, in fact it's THE best answer. Simply off load grey or macerated black water into inexpensive, easy to store, easy to clean Aquatainers that are already sitting in the back of the truck - no heavy tote to deal with, no stinky slinky, no need for a sewer inlet, no need to move the coach to dump. K.I.S.S. :B
And how do those 60lb Aquatainers get out of the truck to empty into the dump station?

. . . .
Good question. SoundGuy hasn't addressed how he empties 3-6 almost 60 lb. Aquatainers at the nearby sani-dump. Never seen an aquatainer with a zero-lift, gravity-dump capability.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I have a 42 gallon Barker it is very rugged. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Barker stands behind their product 100%. Should you ever have an issue Barker will take care of it!

X2 what he said.
They have great customer service.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

And how do those 60lb Aquatainers get out of the truck to empty into the dump station? And you're assuming everyone has a truck of course. I can fit a couple of Aquatainers in the back of our SUV, but that's all. The wheeled tote never needs to be picked up except when it's empty and ready to stow.
Dutch

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
otrfun wrote:
SoundGuy, I could be mistaken, but I believe you previously mentioned that you use 7 gal. aquatainers in lieu of a tote? If so, this requires you to turn the macerator off and on to move the end of the output hose from container to container. Granted, it can be done this way, but . . . the spill and stink factor goes up dramatically for some. No such issues with a tote. The macerator's output hose remains tightly threaded/sealed to the tote (at least on a Barker) for the entire operation.
Yep, IMO you're mistaken. I wired switched +/- 12 vdc to a Bargman connector mounted next to the waste

That +12 vdc is controlled by a SPST toggle switch mounted on the Fresh Water Transfer Pump box which is located on the tongue. With the waste water 'Tainers sitting on the tailgate I stand right there and turn the FloJet on/off remotely as required. I prefer Aquatainers but one can use any type of container they prefer ... no fuss, no muss, works like a charm. :B
Ok, so you have a macerator and your turn it off and on with a switch. Standard setup. We all get power in different ways.

Secondly, you pump into a bunch of open Aquatainers, not a single, closed tote.

That's exactly what I described in my previous post.

IMO, pumping raw waste into 3-6 open Aqua-tainers (vs. one sealed tote) is messy, visually unappealing, and hard on the nose--lol!

Where am I mistaken?