cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar: MPPT working with converter?

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
If my rigs converter handles the shore power/generator charging the battery what’s the best way to tie in the MPPT/solar?

A bus bar should do the trick right?

Was curious how it works with shore power plugged in and the solar providing power at the same time.

Thanks.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Gold prospecting in Northern Nevada!
10 REPLIES 10

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
I'm having deja vu. In your other thread 3 days ago, you asked and got answers to these very questions.

So here it is again:
Controller works all the time, it doesn't interfere with other charging sources.
Connecting components can be done using buss bars and breakers.
Small portable systems can be tied in without buss bars.

You are welcome 😉

Unfortunately there was some conflicting info in that thread.

So I rephrased the question and got the answers I needed to move forward.

Don’t want to make any mistakes as they could be costly ones... and dangerous!

Thanks though for repeating your input. It makes sense.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
The MPPT will sense that the batts are being charged and or state of charge and will adjust its rate of charge. My solar is on along with being plugged into shore power. Morning Star Controller.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm having deja vu. In your other thread 3 days ago, you asked and got answers to these very questions.

So here it is again:
Controller works all the time, it doesn't interfere with other charging sources.
Connecting components can be done using buss bars and breakers.
Small portable systems can be tied in without buss bars.

You are welcome 😉

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
We are all learning, Rail.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Great answers!

I know the questions seem basic but there's a learning curve here and you're all very helpful.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
When multiple sources for DC feed a load, (your battery), the one that actually supplies the current to charge the battery is the one that is the larger or higher voltage. Even as little as .01 volt is enough to make that source the draw for charging. This is Ohm's Law in action.

Ever wonder how a home's AC solar is selected over the power company's AC? Because the solar senses the power company's voltage and makes it's voltage a little more, so the load, house, draws from the solar and not the power company. It's the same with your DC solar and the AC powered charger in your RV. Some alternators are able to also charge a RV's batteries and it's the same deal; the one with the highest voltage will feed the load.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Rail Dawg wrote:
what’s the best way to tie in the MPPT/solar?

Controller as close to battery as possible otherwise use voltage sense wire. Use appropriate sized wire. Fuse/breaker for smaller of max controller amps or wire size.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about using a bus bar, but this link to FAQs about charge controllers might shed some light (pun intended).
See "Do I have to shut off the..."
https://amsolar.com/diy-rv-solar-instructions/edfaq/
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Only the gauges will tell if they're both working. Chances are they will play together just fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just connect the controller direct to the battery or the bus. Multiple charging sources do not create any issues. The alternator may come into play at some point also and still no issue.