cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle problem with 2016 Jayco White Hawk 27 DSRL

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer
I see from the other posts that I am not alone. But being stuck in Ridgeland SC for 7 days now I need to vent a bit.

Jayco manufactured the 27DSRL model with two axles rated at 3500 pounds each on a vehicle whose gross weight is 7500. Even if you are not at the gross weight you are so close that any bump in the road can bend or break the axle. That has now happened 2 times to me.

Sure, wish I had known that before I bought it. Next time Iโ€™ll check axle and trailer specs before buying.

Iโ€™m now sitting in Ridgeland, SC since Friday April 20, 2018 with two broken axles. At least I found a small RV repair shop that was close by and came out to help me the first day. They were able to get me to their lot and supply me with water and electric while I wait.

My dealer kept promising me that they would find the parts and ship them 2 day express. I now know that they were only kidding me. Iโ€™m sure they have dealt with Lippert before and know that Lippert does not stock any axle! They are all made on demand only!

On Monday April 23, 2018 Lippert was contacted and the order processed for two new axles expedited delivery. We were told it should be 3-5 days. This is day 4. Tomorrow marks the first full week of being broke down.

After the first axle bent in Cape Brenton, Canada I asked me dealer if they would look at options for me to upgrade to axles that would not break every time I travel long distances. I reinforced that message again last week while sitting on the side of the road. I always get โ€œwe are working on it.โ€ Guess not. The dealer is Peteโ€™s RV in South Windsor, CT.

Guess I will look for a new dealer when I get back.
33 REPLIES 33

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
jvantassell wrote:
For now I have to take what Lippert pays for. Iโ€™ll upgrade to something better when I get back. Do you also have a White Hawk with the widely spaced axles? I know there is a Lippert upgrade to a 4,400 lb axle but is that going to solve the problem ?

It has 14โ€ wheels and the distance between hubs is 42โ€.

Iโ€™m thinking of getting the Jay Flight 28RL. Same floor plan but axles are close together and the gross weight is 8800 instead of 7500 on a trailer whose factory weight is 6800 instead of my 6130.

One thing I can say is that the spread axles are subjected to more lateral (sideways) forces in tight turns on pavement because each axle has an increased turning radius compared to the more common closer axle spacing (with tires a few inches apart). Next time you do a tight somewhere (like say a CG), stop part way through the turn, get out and look at the camber change on the wheels. I think you'll be shocked at how much the wheel camber is forced to change and the increased possibility of the axles getting bent. Maybe one axle is always being subjected to a lot more camber change than the other??

I think the spread axle design is just a marketing gimmick. I know I'd never get them. It can also be harder on the tires too with the tread being dragged across the pavement. I would rather have a TT with 15" wheels too.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the distance from the U-bolts to brake backing plate is a bit more than normal?? Compared to ours at least... If so, that would cause the axle tubes to bend more. Maybe that's normal on that model TT tho.

Sorry to hear you have to go through this sort of thing. Hope it all works out in the end.

BTW, have you googled Jayco axle issues or problems? A number of threads come up but didn't read them. Also, maybe the Jayco forum could have some info?

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s Thank you for that link. I'll post a reply there. Jayco and Lippert have been no help. They only want to replace with the same weak axles.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
@jvantassell, are you aware of this thread on another site? Supposedly fixed on newer years, but still...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jvantassell wrote:
For now I have to take what Lippert pays for. Iโ€™ll upgrade to something better when I get back. Do you also have a White Hawk with the widely spaced axles? I know there is a Lippert upgrade to a 4,400 lb axle but is that going to solve the problem ?

Iโ€™m thinking of getting the Jay Flight 28RL. Same floor plan but axles are close together and the gross weight is 8800 instead of 7500 on a trailer whose factory weight is 6800 instead of my 6130.

I agree with you about the axle spacing being an issue, I don't know what they were thinking besides an advertising gimmick.

I know that you are depending on manufacturers to do the right thing and fix the RV, but you have to remember that they were the ones that sent junk out the door in the first place. I took mine back for warranty and was given the runaround, so I brought it home and replaced the entire mess with much heavier parts. I now have replaced absolutely everything below the frame and have towed the trailer all over the US, something that would have been impossible if I depended on dealers and manufacturers. These things are not ready for prime time, but somehow they continue to sell to the unsuspecting public.

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope you are not putting in another set of those 2-3/8" spindly axles in. I replaced that ridiculous junk with custom made 3" axles from Dexter.

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer
July 23 and I'm still disabled and sitting at a campground.

The axle shipped on Friday but the tracking number has nothing associated with it as of 9 am CST.

They only shipped an axle and did not include the hubs so that might cause a problem when we take a look at the bearings etc.

I had the repair shop check the frame. It is OK, No cracks and while the hangers are a bit long they do have side braces. I think the biggest problem is the distance the wheels are apart. The distance from center to center on the hubs is 42". When you hit a bad joint on the hwy the front axle leaves the ground, leaving the back axle to bear all the weight just as it hits the joint. That could be what causes the back axle to always bend.???? But i'm not an axle guy.

The entire summer plans are now shot. Getting the axle replaced does not solve anything. What ever caused the problem has to be fixed.

Think it might be time to get a good lawyer and recover some of my costs.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
With the equalizers doing their job, total weight should be the same on both axles. However something is amiss here.
Yes, let us know what they find.

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for that suggestion. Iโ€™ll look for a body and axle place Monday morning.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It almost looks like the spring hangers are twisted. They may be so long that they're allowing the axles to flex and bend. Like myredracer suggested I would take it to an independent trailer shop and have them look at it. There is no way that there isn't something completely out of whack.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something must be extraordinarily wrong for it to bend that quickly.

Having been in a dispute with Lippert over a defective frame on a previous TT that eventually led to the entire TT being replaced, I would highly recommend taking the TT to a frame and axle shop and getting a thorough inspection and report and then sending it to Lippert & Jayco. Should only cost around $200. No point in installing another axle if there is an underlying issue that is damaging the axles or having the camping season further disrupted.

I would not rely on a dealer to determine what's wrong.

Note that on the 2 x 3500 lb axle rating, you need to deduct the tongue wt. The actual load on the axles will be around 6500 lbs and should not lead to axle damage and especially that quickly.

Yes, more photos would help.

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer
If this works Iโ€™ll post more pictures

Click For Full-Size Image.gg

jvantassell
Explorer
Explorer