cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Line Treatment while away

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are full-timers, but will be going North for 6 months, leaving our RV/5th wheel in NC. My question. What to do with the water lines. I have in mind what would happen if they are left w/o water flowing. Mold, etc. Should I leave them with water in them, drain them or try to add bleach into the lines with water. I will probably drain the water tank...
Suggestions please. If it was Winter, I'd just drain and add RV anti-freeze.
9 REPLIES 9

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
So your best bet is to minimize the growth media by blowing 'em out as though winterizing, and when you get back, sanitize the system, either with bleach or hydrogen peroxide.

Unless you plan to use very strong hydrogen peroxide (not off the shelf stuff), stick to bleach.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 drain blow out and bleach when you return.

X3

There is simply no way you can avoid "things" growing in the still water inside the water heater and plumbing, whether drained or left full. So your best bet is to minimize the growth media by blowing 'em out as though winterizing, and when you get back, sanitize the system, either with bleach or hydrogen peroxide.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Same as winterizing. So far this year, you can't tell what the weather will be
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
x3 and 24 hour bleach soak too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Unhook from anything with pressure. Wouldn't worry about any water in lines during the time you are gone. Ours sit each winter in AZ. Come spring, we run fresh water through it, dump fresh water tank and refill, and away we go. Make sure you've cleaned out the fridge and leave the fridge doors open. Leave roof vents cracked (assuming you have covers for them.). Through disconnect switch for batteries. Close blinds, away you go.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 drain blow out and bleach when you return.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Drain everything then sanitize with bleach when you return.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’d drain them along with the water tank, pull any slides in, make everything is all locked up and go. Perhaps keep a roof vent slightly open to help dissipate heat build up.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT