cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready 4 full timing, but theft has me worried the most!

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my TT and looking for class A. But wasn’t full timing. Even then the few times we drove off with trailer behind, I was nothing but stress! One of the issues is I am one of these guys that brings my world with me. It’s just who I am so don’t bother telling me to make it simple. I bring all my guns, knives, I’m an avid outdoorsman and I just have lots of high-value stuff. Hiking gear, I mean you name it, I pretty much have it.

Not even mentioning how worried I was just leaving my Honda generators out just to go get something to eat. It was a big hassle. Load the generators up into the back of the truck and take them with me for fear of...

That’s one of the main reasons I want a class A. Knowing everything is intergal and I can take my tow vehicle off to get something to eat without worrying about doing something with my generators outside. I just can’t help but feel, I could be totally wrong, that a class A is simply more secure and less chance of somebody breaking in it then they would a travel trailer.

This is when I was going to parks with other people around! Now we planning on traveling full-time and going Boondocking and I’m specifically looking for a toy hauler so I can bring along my Honda Pioneer 1000 with me.

I just don’t know how the community does it? How do you go park somewhere remote, take off on your UTV and ride on trails all day or go hiking all day knowing you have your LIFE behind you in a travel trailer or my truck or anything somewhere by itself?

This is the ONE thing I can’t wrap my brain around. How does everybody do this? I read all the stories about how people go hiking and drive trails. Isn’t everyone worried they’re going to come back to a shell with everything ripped off and stolen!!!!

I need help with this because my constant fears of theft will stop me from enjoying my life and will alway keep me close to my mobile home 😞
64 REPLIES 64

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
More people means more crime.

Boondocking means less people so less crime.

I take reasonable precautions but refuse to worry about "stuff".
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I just don't understand how the OP can ever leave his home? The chance of having a break in at home is much higher than having a break in of an RV as the crooks know there are a lot more valuables in a large home than would be available in a small RV.
Good luck my friend. It's really pretty relaxing out here if you can figure out a way to relax.

"Can't we all just get along?"
LOL
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just don't understand how the OP can ever leave his home? The chance of having a break in at home is much higher than having a break in of an RV as the crooks know there are a lot more valuables in a large home than would be available in a small RV.
Good luck my friend. It's really pretty relaxing out here if you can figure out a way to relax.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
So you go to town, do whatever, come back and your 5er has been hitched up and taken away. And you will do what - call police, report a crime, call insurance company, etc. That is called life - it could just as easily happen in a S&B that is broken into anywhere in the country every single day.

I beat ovarian cancer (25 years next month!) and since then, I'm come to understand that nothing is for certain, that if you don't die you will wake up in the morning and get on with life. Nothing brings that home like lying on the bathroom floor, heaving blood and bile from the chemo effects, to realize that.

We've been out since 2006. Could we get robbed. Yes. Is it likely - no. Take normal precautions, learn to enjoy life - otherwise, what is the point?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
We're all a little concerned about things being stolen, that's normal.
Your concern seems to be controlling your life.
This is not meant as an insult but, have you considered counseling?
It may help..

This is a great post...get insurance and relax. Enjoy life and stop stressing over your stuff, we will all end up with nothing when they put us in the ground anyway. Heck, I forget to lock the door half of the time so I am on the other end of the spectrum.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a prepper 🙂 🙂

thing is the moment we go full time I can cancel that part of my life to the way I have prepped. I can't find a way to take it with me truly LOL Prepping to what I believe is bunker down and control your environment---you might be way different on this of course---but for us, once on the road and out there, there is no security truly. No 'controlled' situation at all. You are out of your controlled element. Of course there are ways to handle some situations obviously and good posts on the thread show that...motion sensors etc. but in the end, once out and about and free to roam, so are all others and you just have to mentally swing in a bit of a different mindset direction. At least that is the way for me at this point.

And any idiot who walks out with 20K to strangers does deserve to lose it to pure greed. What a moron on that situation LOL I mean, come on here....

But when we full time it is down and dirty to basically whatever goes down. We will be doing more boondocking but way more boondocking than we have done at this point.

I hear your concerns cause my mind was like....out in the middle of no where, leave your RV and take the truck to town for food or something and come back to what?? The Hills Have Eyes or something like that? HA HA But then I am putting my fears to rest as in what goes down goes down and my few smart things I do to control my environment will have to be enough, after that I put way too much time into thinking about it all and not having a spur of the moment enjoyable life experiences and just chillin' a bit in this old life of mine 🙂

just rambling off a bit on what I see for us in the future and how I will have to handle it in my mind LOL

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Larger amounts of cash on hand can also end up in asset forfeiture.
More likely by 3-card monty scammers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody who would walk up to strangers with $20,000 cash deserves to lose it sad to say. SMH

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I have one dollar in my wallet. It's been there for about 6 months. I buy everything with credit card and I get 2% cash back. Thank you CitiBank.

(I can even use my credit card in vending machines now, but I rarely buy from vending machines.)
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Larger amounts of cash on hand can also end up in asset forfeiture.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reality is that there are a lot of RVers who like to keep cash on hand and scammers would like to find a way to take it from them. My first piece of advice is that you do not need to carry much cash.
I was in a campground in the Tampa, FL area when someone knocked on my door and lured me out with a great story. We wandered down a couple of coaches only to find that there were 3 guys there running a 3 card Monte scam (I was driving a Prevost). I laughed at them and told them they were crazy if they thought I was going to fall for their nonsense. I went back to the RV and tried to get in contact with campground security (Lazy Days) but was not successful. While trying other options I heard some screaming. Turns out they found a sucker farther down the road and when he won a couple of times he went back to his coach and came out with an envelope with $20,000 in cash. They just snatched it out of his hands and ran.
Victims are victims but sometimes having just a little bit of sense helps to keep you safe.
The "funny" part is when the police showed up and I told them what happened, they looked at my Prevost and said "You do know that you were the mark, don't you?" I had no cash on board but appearance is everything.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
buy a good security system from a watch dog company

Or, get a good watch dog for a security system!!! ;):D I don't think anyone wants to break into our motorhome with a big German Shepherd inside.

If a crook wants into an RV, be it Towable or Motorized, they are going to get in. But one cannot destroy their life worrying about it! When we leave, we lock the exterior bay doors (a key fob that locks them all with one click sure is nice), lock the entrance door, and go.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with all. Being in the service industry for 35 years, that is 5-7 homes a day, 6 days week, 35 years, have met literally tens of thousands of people. And not on the street, but inside their personal homes seeing how they live, seeing how neat and clean or sloppy they are, blah blah blah. You don’t do that and not come to understand human nature, and be able to read people very well.

And I assume it’s the exactly same % in RV’s. Poor, rich, medium. You can never guess one’s personality or niceness or rudeness based upon money it’s just that simple. People are people and they are who they are regardless of their financial circumstances.

As such, you meet people who are poor and are very nice, and people who are rich and are Jerks. And vice versa. There’s no collation that I have ever found. You’re either nice or you are not and that has nothing to do with your financial status.

Update: other post sneaked in before me so was saying I agree with all, concerning your comments on homeless. Not necessary the rest about what I should bring or not 🙂

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't leave stuff lying around. Keep the good stuff out of sight. Don't talk about it. Get to know your neighbors. Stop worrying or find another hobby.