cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does any manufacturer do king beds right?

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to replace our 1998 travel trailer with a new TT (or 5W). We have a short (but apparently tough) wish list:

1) King bed. We know many queens can be "upgraded," but it always requires removing the nightstands. CPAP user needs a nightstand and power outlet. We'd really like to find a transverse bed in a slide (we understand the vehicle width limits) where the slide was actually designed originally for a king with nightstands. So far, we haven't found one.

2) Ceilings and shower tall enough for a 6'6" occupant.

3) Shower roomier than the "phone booth" we have now.

4) Two recliners.

5) TV placed opposite recliners, not at right angles to them.

6) A pantry.

Everything else is superfluous. We don't want or need outdoor kitchens, outdoor TVs, fancy stoves or sinks, washer/dryers, china toilets, or tile floors. We definitely don't need extra beds or bunks, we'd rather have the space to use for something else.

Can anybody recommend a manufacturer who does king beds right?
17 REPLIES 17

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your concern.. when we purchased our used keystone challenger, it had a king mattress installed but the plywood support underneath was only the size of a queen mattress! The lady who owned it previously used it like that for years... took me a while to figure out why I was rolling out of bed if I neared the edge! Lol.
I quickly installed a proper sized base for the king mattress to this day I still can’t believe they built it like that... oh wait- yes I can.

jnslprd
Explorer
Explorer

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
LibertyHaven wrote:
I want to thank all you helpful folks who recommended the Keystone Cougar line. We took delivery of a 2019 Half-Ton 26' TT on Thursday, with the king bed and theatre seating recliners. It's entirely as we imagined the size and amenities we wanted. It's nice to have access to a forum with such knowledgeable consumers!

Congratulations on the purchase. We really like our Cougar 32RLI half-ton. As noted, it is loaded with some nice amenities. Happy camping!
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank all you helpful folks who recommended the Keystone Cougar line. We took delivery of a 2019 Half-Ton 26' TT on Thursday, with the king bed and theatre seating recliners. It's entirely as we imagined the size and amenities we wanted. It's nice to have access to a forum with such knowledgeable consumers!

bamagirl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a three year old Keystone Cougar that has been nothing but trouble. It has been in the repair shop more than it has been at my home. As soon as I get it home this time, I will trade it. There is a FB page for Unhappy Keystone Cougar Owners that you might want to check before you buy.

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
azwildcat wrote:
Be sure to measure the length of the king size bed. We were at a dealer yesterday looking at units with king size beds but they were actually a short king. The width was ok but they were less than 80 inches in length--about 75-78.

I don't expect a full-length bed in a trailer, that's just par for the course. Over the past 40 years, I've gotten used to hanging off the end of beds, and not just in trailers. It's the width my wife needs.

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
classic 31 wrote:
Our 2016 keystone cougar has everything you are looking for model 28RLS

From another poster's recommendation, I looked at the Keystones last night. Indeed, they do the bed area they way we want it. I'm impressed by what I see there. They've never been at any of the shows in my area (none of their dealers are close), so I never got to see them before.

The Redwood is a sweet rig, and if I were fulltiming and up for upgrading my tow, I'd consider it, but we're just looking for a mobile motel for two, so smaller is better now.

This sort of information-sharing is the best part of belonging to an affinity group like Good Sam. I want to thank all the folks who provided suggestions. If someone still has one that isn't here, feel free to add it, because I haven't bought yet.

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to measure the length of the king size bed. We were at a dealer yesterday looking at units with king size beds but they were actually a short king. The width was ok but they were less than 80 inches in length--about 75-78.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Go on line to all the manufacturers web sites and look at floor plans. Would save a lot of time and walking

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2016 keystone cougar has everything you are looking for model 28RLS

LibertyHaven
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Not sure what you mean about doing kings right. Some trailers and many motorhomes have floorplans where the king bed is standard, not an upgrade.

Perhaps find an RV show where you can look at a host of trailers.

By "right," I mean that the king is designed in from scratch, with the same nightstands you would get with the queen, and not where the king is "optional" meaning you are required to tear out the nightstands, block the bathroom door access with the mattress, and so on.

We've been to several RV shows, and so far have seen only two units that actually came with kings. One had no nightstands, and one had nightstands down near our knees. I'm happy to go to a show to see a unit that claims to offer what I want, but unfortunately there's a limit to the walking my wife can do just to look at a bunch of rigs that aren't even close.

I was pretty sure this forum would be a more efficient winnowing process than running through the entire rolling stock of random dealers who host area shows, and I've already gotten more leads here than I have from all the shows we've been to.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a decent sized toy hauler. Remove all the stuff in the rear and you would have good space to put your king size bed in there. You could get a simple frame and anchor it down, leaving storage underneath. Same for the nightstands.

Basically take out all the cheap RV furnishings and put in your own stuff.

There would likely be another bed or at least bunks that you could remove as well, and convert the space to whatever you want--pantry, desk, whatever.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keystone Cougar 26RBS seems to fit the bill, radius shower with at least 6' 6" height, king bed with dual side areas for cpaps. Can be equipped with theater recliners and the entertainment center is opposite them. Monster storage.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say how big a unit you are looking for, or how pricey, but if you choice is less than extravagant, look at the cougar line from keystone. King beds in most, you may have to hang baskets under the cabinets for CPAP on some. Huge showers 30 x 50 inch. And units with recliners are available.