cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to remove this hub?

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these in my tow dolly. There is a slight movement in the wheel. Is it normal? If not, how does this come off the frame? There is no axle. This thing mounts to a body, giving a rotating flange for wheel mounting. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Demco-RV/DM04369.html
Thank you.
17 REPLIES 17

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an email to Demco (manufacturer of my tow dolly) and got the same reply: use steering wheel ratchet and don't tighten wheel pan bolt. Your reply confirms this method. Thank you.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
You can lash the steering wheel with a ratchet strap. I did that when we used to tow a Malibu on a dolly. Hooked the ends of the strap into the seat mounting brackets. Twice around the bottom of the steering wheel and just snug it up. was enough to stop the wheel from turning.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a related question. I bought this tow dolly to move 2008 Chevy Impala. But I found the the car does not lock steering wheel. I parked the car, put gear in P, removed key. I still could rotate the steering wheel. So I am in trouble. My dolly looks like the photo. The wheel pan has 2 bolts. The rear is the pivot point. The front bolt seems to lock the pan. Would someone confirm that the front bolt is indeed for fixing the wheel pan? Thank you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tow+dolly+gt300&rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS634US634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia-9WJ0ffaAhVP0FMKHbSSBGkQ_AUICygC&biw=1094&bih=438&dpr=1.25#imgrc=Rd-EA1mZ295CmM:

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
For mounting fenders, I would use flat washers and Ny-lok nuts.
Farmboy: Many people add an "s" to individual items.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
That is why asked if it($300) was for one or two!

Thats why I said $300 is not a lot for new spindleS

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
For general use like attaching fender to frame etc. Do you mean those nuts that got slightly deformed to the triangle shape?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Where do you plan on using split washers?
If for mounting hubs to frame, I would use locking nuts. Not the nylocks, but standard locking nuts. Must get them rated same or above bolt rating. Yes, I would consider them high vibration.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a related question. Do split lock washers work in tow dollies? I read somewhere split lock washers do get loose in severe vibration. Is tow dolly a severe vibration machine?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is why asked if it($300) was for one or two!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
147x2=294

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is that $300 each or pair. Etrailer has them for $147 each
Hub assembly

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice. Boy the spindle-hub costs as much as what I paid for the dolly. Oh, well.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
You can add brakes but you still need a spindle so your not saving anything. If you think theres to much movement replace them, the video of the spindle link tells you how to bolt on. $300 is not a lot for new spindles.

rvpaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. The movement is up-down or front-back, not in-out. Both sides move exactly by the same amount in the same radial direction. No grinding or rough rolling when I spin the wheels. If my car wheel moved to the same degree, I would replace the hub or replace the wheel.

By looking at the construction, I can tell tow dolly wheels are not designed like a car. The entire "axle" is a square bar inserted into a square pipe with plastic shims between them and 2 bolts holding the pipe to the bar. This is an older Demco model with pivoting wheel pan and hot dip galvanized. I bought this used and don't know the mileage. Previous owner knows no history, either.

I have a related question. The replacement wheel hub (Demco brand) is very expensive. For about the same price, I can add an electrical brake using non-demco parts. But how do I go about it? Once the sealed hub is removed, I will have 4 bolt holes, 2 3/8" x 3 1/8" pattern. Also there is no spindle. What can hold a hub if no spindle?