Explorer
Explorer
interested in your thoughts and comments
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
34 REPLIES 34

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized from a Winnebago 36 ft diesel with all the bells to a 24V Winnebago Chalet(Access) a former rental in 2014 it had 12,000 miles and new Michelin tires.There had been a recall. I paid around 35,000. We have enjoyed this little rig, no jacks, no slides, nuttin to go bad. We can park it anywhere and don't have to use a toad although we have pulled our Vue several times, the E350 will pull the 4000 lb SUV over our PA mountains. Only downer is the limited space in the cockpit, doesn't bother me but hubby who is only 5 9' complains. This is our 3rd Winnebago. We have the corner bed but had one in a trailer years ago and can live with it, we aren't living in this MH 6 months a year. The cabover is great for storage. Good Luck
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Artum Snowbird wrote:
It's small, compact and appeals to few. Why: no slide out, no walk around bed, no counter space. If you can live with that and know you can, it's a small market to resell those things.
I tend to disagree. There is a big market for fully functional shorter rigs.

As for the price, offer $40k and see what happens.

Now as for the quality, I have an issue with "Lack Of Quality", and have heard these units do lack it. I rank that issue high. I hate messing with the rig on every trip. I love focusing on the trip itself, not the rig itself. Thankfully our rig has been excellent.

BTW: Our rig has the same floor plan and no slideout as that rig and we love the floorplan. The ease of maneuverability is great because of the places we travel like national parks and such. We fit in nearly every campsite, both the high demand ones and secondary ones. Our primary focus is on how severe the slope is for leveling. Some NP campsites get ridiculous.

Agree with Ron on all counts. The floorplan is functional and works for the small size and space. I have a slide and wish I didn't. More weight and mechanicals to cause problems, weakens the whole coach with the big hole in the side of it.

I have a 23 ft something long Winnebago View and really would not want anything longer, though I would prefer the corner bed to the cab over bed I have now.

It is, however, not much savings over the other unit that was shown in one of the posts.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
how about this model ??https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2008-tioga-ranger-by/6567362316.html
Hi luberhill,

I would say his asking price is a bit much. But remember it is his "ASKING" price, not his selling price. If it's right for you, go test drive it and look it over good. If all is great except the price, offer him $25,000 cash and see what happens.

If that chassis is an E350, it is the same chassis as mine. It is a great chassis with an excellent drive train. Just pay attention to the weight of the house and contents.

The only issue with the E350 chassis made up to and including model year 2007, will be the lack of a rear stabilizer bar. Ford never equipped the E350 with one until 2008. A new heavy duty Helwig rear stabilizer bar will cost less than $300. Installation will be about half that. But just maybe the current owner already installed one. That is a question worth asking.

Installation is easy for a novice who can handle a wrench and is able to crawl under the unit. No need to jack it up to install the bar. Work with the rig parked on the ground. My brother and I laying on cardboard installed one on his 1998 E350 motor home and we were surprised how easy it was. My brother was shocked as to the improvement that heavy duty bar made.

If you want to get the rig to handle better yet, replace the under-rated front stabilizer bar with a front heavy duty Helwig bar. Budget ~$500 for both bars, install them yourself, and you will have one sweet riding rig.

On my rig, I hired out many suspension upgrades at a time I lacked the knowledge. Now I know what is needed and what I can handle myself.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Too old, you're all over the map

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I think that's too much for a 10 year old unit. It might be a 2008, but it is on a 2007 chassis. Ford made a number of improvements in the 2008 chassis, aside from the different appearance.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
how about this model ??https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2008-tioga-ranger-by/6567362316.html

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I agree,,there are like ZERO units this size used around me for sale...this one is paid for, they have clear title...he said the back of the passenger seat DOES recline,,,someone here said it doesn't...
We could probably deal with the bed issue....prefer not to but do like the NO slide option but prefere fiberglass roof etc

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
It's small, compact and appeals to few. Why: no slide out, no walk around bed, no counter space. If you can live with that and know you can, it's a small market to resell those things.

I have to disagree with this as well.

Every used small (23-25 ft) class C with the above attributes we had interest in was sold within 3-5 days. Sometimes less. Every single one.

We ended up buying new because we could never catch the deals on used units we found. We were always too late.

And even new barely happened. Every dealer in our area was sold out of this size. And some of them started with 7-8 units each.

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
All the above is true..meanwhile.. there's this little book called NADA out there and every few months or so another comes out with an even lower, depreciated price! Op should check that, and note in the next couple months that 22e will be down another 2,4k.

X2 on NADA. Take a hard look at it then compare to what these folks have. The Chauteau's are a less expensive build unit than other models and as you increase the quality of the coach and driveline, so does the price go up. Another good option, is to go to an RV show where you will see some super deals and savings on a brand new rig, if new rings your bell. We bought our Sprinter at a show and saved about $30K over retail, which is common at shows. Look on RV Trader and you can get an idea of what you can get in the price range you are looking at. Lots of deals out there. BTW, if you are a couple, who gets to sleep on the inside of the corner bed? Make sure it not the one with the weak bladder;) And, try to make up a corner bed without getting in it. Not a fan of corner beds! Good luck on your hunt as I think they are asking too much for the unit.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
All the above is true..meanwhile.. there's this little book called NADA out there and every few months or so another comes out with an even lower, depreciated price! Op should check that, and note in the next couple months that 22e will be down another 2,4k.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Something to consider. This couple bought this RV new 8 months ago. If they financed it, then they are probably massively underwater. As I posted elsewhere recently, I'm convinced that one of the reasons why RV sellers are offering 15+ year terms on RV loans is not only does it make it so that more people can afford them, but it totally destroys the used RV market. No one can afford to sell them until they are 10+ years old, by which time nobody wants them as they are starting to fall apart if not stored well. So it becomes very hard to find a newer RV sold at a "reasonable" price because everyone needs to make the loan payoff amount, which is going to be way more than the actual value.

Unless you find the rare unit where the buyers paid cash in full or a large down payment and then decided to sell while the unit was pretty new, nobody can afford to sell their young financed RVs.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's the deal..
Seller's price is too high. He paid to much or is wishing for too much from you. I recently paid in December 58k OTD for a 2017 Thor 23u (foot longer than your model, with barrel chair, I recommend that extra foot btw, that chair gives u some move around options if stuck in rv on rainy day)with ford e450 chassis.

I was initially chasing your model. All day long that price was 48k new. New.Does Thor suffer from lack of quality? Some. I had a fun mover 39c 40 ft Thor diesel for 12 years, put on 92k miles.The house itself is generally solid. Minor stuff, yep, keep an eye on. I looked at winnebago and forest river, now what? Same thing. I saw slides incorrect install, not closing, things rattling loose and falling, squeaky on test drives (winnebago) and asked managers who service these units for warranty what they see most. My 23u is 25 ft 1 inch, yours is 24 ft. Handy size, and no slide weight, problems to keep you from enjoying. Really like convenience of corner bed at truck stops and the large cargo bay. Handy. Whatever you buy, get the upgraded anti sway bars. Worth it.

Fwiw I'm an older guy dirt biker, carry the bike on hitch rack in back often if not towing jeep. I've put 3700 miles on mine since December, including some really bad roads, both dirt and paved. Nature of what I do. Nothing has broke, come loose or cracked. Working as expected. Hope to have 12 years like the previous. Because there are so many examples of these models out as high mileage rentals (180k+) I feefeel reasonable sure mine will be ok.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Cruise America sells similar 4 year old units, but with V8s instead of a V10 and many have well over 100,000 miles, for around $30,000.This particular vehicle is worth considerably more than them, but not worth $49,000. It sounds like the original owner unfortunately (for him) paid way too much for it.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Better off buying an older unit. "new" price 83,000 but they never sell for that price. Take off 23,000. That puts the "street" price to 60,000. The moment it drives off the lot it depreciates 50%. So a fair used price may be 30,000, not 49,000.

Concur