cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would appreciate advice on a toad brake system

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The last thing I need for my setup is a brake system. E trailer advises a Patriot 2. I want a portable inertia system. I know there's the Brake buddy, and I suppose some others. What are you guys using and what do you like or don't like? Is any one of them considered the best? E Trailer want about $1000 for a Patriot 2. Thanks to all.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
15 REPLIES 15

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same brake buddy now for 17 years. Wasn't much of a choice back then.
Still works like new.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I have an SMI Stay-N-Play. I like it because it stays in place, all I need to do is turn on a switch. Roadmaster makes one very similar.

X2 nothing to take out or put back in when you want to use the car.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We use the RVi also.Four years,about 50k miles, and we have multiple toads. The ability to monitor, test the brakes, and remotely adjust the toad braking from the MH cockpit is valuable.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The RVI 2 has served me well. As described above but for me in a Tracker, Equinox, Wrangler, and Colorado. RIP 2014 Wrangler.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you folks for all the good options, most of which I have never heard of. I'm going to be towing only one car, a Kia Soul manual tranny. So far I have a Demco Dominator tow bar, Roadmaster base plate with adapter on the way. Electrical system on the way, so now will study all your good options. Then I need to find time to install it all. I'm lucky that I have a vehicle lift which will come in handy I think. Thank you and I welcome all your ideas.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Brake Buddy for about 15 years. It worked fine but was really heavy.
Bought an RVI3, and absolutely love it. Super light weight, ready in less than 2 minutes.
If we change toads, itโ€™s a no hassle switch.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Roadmaster Invisibrake ( the one I have ) or the SMI stay n play.

Dr_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I have an SMI Stay-N-Play. I like it because it stays in place, all I need to do is turn on a switch. Roadmaster makes one very similar.

I agree I have beem using the system for over 5 years with no problem.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
My parents used the Ready Brake and it worked well.. One of the biggest selling points was it didn't have to be situated in the toad before use.. as Dutch said, one or two cable connections and you are done. Also the simplicity of the mechanics (no electronics) appealed to my dad.

It was so easy, it is probably what will end up on my new MH.. (just purchased and haven't made toad decision yet)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We considered a portable like the Brake Buddy early on, but after watching a few people lugging one in and out, getting on their knees to hook up the peddle arm, etc, we decided to go with a ReadyBrake permanently installed system. After the initial installation, hooking up only requires snapping a clip on an eyelet at the front of the toad. The installation itself is within the capabilities of most shade tree mechanics that can read and follow directions. The version we chose is built in to our ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, but NSA also has a stand alone version. The ReadyBrake is a simple mechanical device that works well and has none of the elecrical/electronic failure points of most of the others.

ReadyBrake.com
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used a brake buddy with satisfactory results. I'm waiting for the "proportional" purple koolaid drinkers to visit shortly.
bumpy

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
Readybrake has served me well for years with no issues....

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
How many vehicles do you plan to tow?
Readybrake makes an excellent surge brake system. Each vehicle would need a cable installed.