Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options other than Satellite....TV

oakmandan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
At this point wifey and I don't want to spend money on a satellite. We have a MyFi with unlimited data. What would you recommend for an alternative to satellite? Roku? Netflix? I would really like to get national news daily. Do either of those offer news?

Thanks, Dan
Dan and Diann
Hank the Havanese
2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
2015 Ford F-250 FX-4 6.2 Gas
MORryde Step Above Steps
MORryde Pin Box
25 REPLIES 25

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pokebo reported as SPAM.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
People say "No news is good news". But if you need your local news fix, many TV stations stream their local news. Just do a Google search such as "Des Moines TV stations".
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you going to be camping? If out of range with a standard Winegard antenna, you might be able to pull in more & stronger signals if you use a better antenna on a mast. Portable sectional masts in 4' sections are available. A small but better antenna choice could be an RCA ANT751 like in the photo. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these for times when we can't get a sat signal due to trees or location. A bigger antenna is always better but size is a factor if travelling around in an RV.

You can go to TVfool.com, plug in your location and see if any signals are catchable and what size antenna you might need.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Also see if Youtube-TV is available where you are.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
If you want NBC nightly news there's an app for that on the Google Play store. If you have internet access you can watch it anytime (after the live broadcast of course) on a tablet, your computer and if you have a chromcast device - on your TV.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
by the time you pay for Hulu, Sling, CBS All Access, Netflix and the rest you might as well get a basic sat package from DISH and change your service address to wherever you are to get the locals/OTA networks.

Are Hulu and Netflix included in basic satellite packages?

Basic satellite packages offer some of the same programming that Hulu, Netflix, etc, offer.

That's not true. Netflix & Amazon offer original programming that's not available on DISH and DirecTV.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
by the time you pay for Hulu, Sling, CBS All Access, Netflix and the rest you might as well get a basic sat package from DISH and change your service address to wherever you are to get the locals/OTA networks.

in a word, no. at least not with DISH.

The DISH Hopper 3 includes apps for Netflix and YouTube. However, you'll still need a Netflix account and both require Internet access.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
rk911 wrote:

Basic satellite packages offer some of the same programming that Hulu, Netflix, etc, offer.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

oakmandan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. We have Directv. We downloaded their app, and tested it. Works well.
Dan and Diann
Hank the Havanese
2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
2015 Ford F-250 FX-4 6.2 Gas
MORryde Step Above Steps
MORryde Pin Box

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
rk911 wrote:

in a word, no. at least not with DISH.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Try Pluto TV you can get it as a google app or a Roku app. Has over ten news channels. Like all free TV you get ads.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Directv has an app where you can see all your subscribed channels on your "smart" device. So you could catch the news on that.
I plan to use the Campground's cable and/or wifi for my television usage. I have a wifi Roku Netflix DVD player.
IIRC, directv can also be connected via a Roku.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,