cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel from coast of NC to TENN

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
We are making a trip from Emerald Isle NC to Nashville, TN - can anyone advise how the road travel is? I heard its a lot of up hill travel - can anyone advise us on this? Making trip in July. Would appreciate any input, Thank You.
12 REPLIES 12

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
I 40 is the most direct route - plan to stop around Asheville- lots of camping with the blue ridge parkway nearby.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've made the trip twice. Once in a car and 10 days ago with the RV. The west bound trip is easier than the eastbound as the climb is long and steady with a big downhill. Eastbound it is a big uphill with a long steady decline. Your rig will easily handle the trip.
It would be a very long day from Emerald, plan a stop along the way. It was over 500 miles for us to J Percey Priest Lake shy of Nashville from just east of Raleigh.
Traffic in Nashville is a nightmare where all of the interstates combine into one hot mess but other than that easy peasy. Enjoy the trip, it is a fantastic city.
And BTW we used to live in Wilkesboro on 421, you want I40 all the way.
Puma 30RKSS

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
Another route would be 40 to 421 in Winston-Salem then you could pickup 77 up to 81 or stay on 421 through boone and take 91 in mountain city to abingdon va and 81. Hardest pull is from wilksboro to Boone it's 4lane not bad we do it several times a year with our 250 superduty and 36ft.5th wheel. Just a thought,

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
LIGirlatheart wrote:
RV2go - question - what is 6% grade mean?

It means that is is going to be a long hard uphill pull for about 5 miles.

Or this: "6% grade" is the slope of the road. Per cent means per one-hundred so 6% grade is 6 per one-hundred. If the road is climbing then this means for every 100 units you travel horizontally you increase your altitude by 6 units."
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
RV2go - question - what is 6% grade mean?

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Emerald Isle to Nashville is a 10-12 hr drive for a car, with the mountain crossing expect it to take at least 12, Asheville NC would be a wonderful stop, The Biltmore Estate is worth a visit.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
I-40 traveling West will take you over Black Mtn. It will be 6% grade for 5 miles. After Asheville you will have some grades, but nothing serious. I-40 thru the gorge is relative flat but lots of curves. Just fall in line with the trucks. Speed limit is 50 mph.

This.

Get in the right lane and stay there. Gear down as needed, likely to 3rd. Don't be afraid to let the RPMs go up.

Two things you don't want to happen. 1) having the tranny constantly shifting up and down--downshift manually and leave it there, go lower as needed. 2) getting the brakes overheated---don't ride the brake, downshift to help hold you back.

Take your time and you will be fine.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 traveling West will take you over Black Mtn. It will be 6% grade for 5 miles. After Asheville you will have some grades, but nothing serious. I-40 thru the gorge is relative flat but lots of curves. Just fall in line with the trucks. Speed limit is 50 mph.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
I guess if we can drive in NYC we can drive anywhere. Another question is about height issues - Any roadblocks there? Clearance is 13'. Do you suggest stopping 1/2 way & spend a night? Or should be look for a Walmart? We were scheduled to leave on a Monday but maybe a day early would be a good idea.

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies - we are new 5th wheelers driving a 2017 Ford F250 pulling a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL - I don't want to get stressed out going up & down mountains for our 1st long trip out. We previous had a travel trailer for local beach camping, but I can't wait to make this trip from LI NY to Yorktown VA then to NC then over to Nashville area.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are particularily staying away from it, youre looking at I-40 almost all the way. My best suggestion is to travel on a Saturday and Sunday. Raleigh, Durham and Greensboro can all be a pain with commuter traffic, and once you get past them, Asheville isnt nearly as bad.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be going from sea level and cross the Appalachian mountains. There will be several long hauls up the mountains, so just be patient. I-40 has plenty of twists and turns, a few tunnels, and can be quite busy. So again, just take it slow, donโ€™t be in a hurry and all will be fine.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT