Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Invention award of the month.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw this in Orange Grove RV in Bakersfield this morning on our walk. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
30 REPLIES 30

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at these totes close up at the Portland, OR RV show they are a 2 point attachment to the frame of the MH they also have a center telescopic hitch so they can be hauled like a regular trailer. They are very strong and well built. I see nothing wrong with this picture but having been a power Lineman I have hauled all kinds of stuff over very rough terrain. Adding weight that is supported to the rear of a gaser would probably make it handle better.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Is that guy a descendant of the Beverly Hillbillies?
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it seems like it has a nice wide wheelbase, but I would feel better about it if it we're level. It appears he just needs to drop the hitch a bit. My only other question would be where the center of gravity would be located. Could be a little high, but it appears he's custom built it just for that rig. He must have that thing lashed on there good. Edit- I watched the video and saw the two point attach. Very clever little self steering unit.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

That side by side CANNOT haul the TOTE that it's sitting on. If you look closely, there are TWO attachment points from it to the back of the coach. There are NOT TWO attachment points on the back of the side-by-side. Here is a website that shows either what he's got or, something maybe built by another company that is the same thing.

http://www.idahotote.com/

Scott

The Idaho Tote has a conventional hitch option, so it can be towed like a regular trailer well, in conjunction with the steering lockout feature.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
et2 wrote:
There's more to that trailer than just hauling the 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler has a hitch which most likely is for hauling that trailer. The trailer also has a hitch . Perhaps the motorhome is for getting them to a job site, or hunting site , back country, forest fire fighter, trail head, etc.

Just what I'm seeing of course.

That side by side CANNOT haul the TOTE that it's sitting on. If you look closely, there are TWO attachment points from it to the back of the coach. There are NOT TWO attachment points on the back of the side-by-side. Here is a website that shows either what he's got or, something maybe built by another company that is the same thing.

Scott

Scott, it was an Idaho Tote!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
There's more to that trailer than just hauling the 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler has a hitch which most likely is for hauling that trailer. The trailer also has a hitch . Perhaps the motorhome is for getting them to a job site, or hunting site , back country, forest fire fighter, trail head, etc.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The side by side's wench was used to pull it up near vertical on the Idaho Tote.

She must be strong!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the post Me Again, it is really interesting.

If people actually take a close look at what was constructed and the Tote, it looks well built. There is boxed steel framing supporting the ramp and then the front wheels seem to sit into the top structure and can be strapped down. RZRs have the engine in the back so more of the weight should be lower. That 2-seat RZR is probably about 1200-1300 lbs total.

If those front wheels sit down into the built structure, how the heck do they off load it? Would like to see that but obviously they are using the winch for both load and off load.
I love me some land yachting

et2
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
My guess would be one good pothole and that thing would flip.

It can't flip unless the motorhome flips with it. That's in Idaho Tote, not a trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
"Wouldn't a little longer trailer easily solve the issue without that complicated set up?"

As I stated earlier, what he has is NOT a trailer. It's considered an extension of the coach.

"Hi, another reason that I like my Airstream; It doesn't allow you take all that junk with you. I just can't believe all of the **** people have to take with them."

Well, just because you don't want or have any alternative forms of recreation when you're traveling, doesn't mean that the rest of us don't. If I could post pics on here of some of the recent setups I've seen here in Lake Havasu City of folks passing through, you'd be amazed.

"Me suspects CHP hasn't seen it yet"

Well, what would they care? If he's got it lashed down and it appears there's no issues, AND, he's doing things in a COMPLETELY legal manor, then they'd most likely drive right on by.

"Very creative. Not for me but I like it. Done properly = no danger."

Wow, a normal response, imagine that!

The side by side's wench was used to pull it up near vertical on the Idaho Tote. It had large tires on the tote. MH was only a 34-36 gasser. I wonder why he just didn't use a conventional trailer.

Because as previously stated, that's NOT a trailer. It's an extension of the coach which, allows for the ability to tow a vehicle behind it. Although we've seen it done, a very large percentage of the states out there, do not allow TWO trailers being towed behind a MOTORHOME. They do allow two behind a pickup. And primarily, the first one must be a fifth wheel. But, the rules are not always followed. So, if he used a regular trailer, and mounted that Side by side in a normal fashion, he'd not be able to tow a vehicle.

"My guess would be one good pothole and that thing would flip."

Based on how much we travel the U.S. and have observed the present condition of many, many of the states roads and freeways, I'd bet my house he's already hit several pot holes and bad sections, looks like it's still standing to me. And I also bet he's not right around the corner from his home. He had to travel to get there.

Folk, while it appears that the majority of you (or myself for that matter) wouldn't do things the way he did and does it, it apparently works for him and his family. It's real easy to chastise this situation but, if that was/is the ONLY way he could accomplish his goal of providing whatever kind of entertainment/recreation and, bring along alternate transportation, then that's the way it goes.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned with the fuel and oil draining out. I doubt Polaris designed these to be stood on end for any length of time:)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
bdpreece wrote:
Because of the two point connection to the MH left/right is not as big as an issue and front to back. As tall as it is there would be a lot of force applied, all four directions.. Chris

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Very creative. Not for me but I like it. Done properly = no danger.
2014 Allegro 36LA