cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route North

tkrohn
Explorer
Explorer
Am planning a trip in July from South Georgia to Cape Cod pulling a 38' 5th Wheel. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a route that will avoid Philadelphia thru New York City?
10 REPLIES 10

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
For your driving please, time your drive through balt/washington to avoid anything close to rush hourS. We prefer 9pm or later or VERY early and it is smooth sailing. Not fun when when merges think you are going to move out their way when they don't bother to look as they merge.

Nyc area too.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
gradygal wrote:
Mich F wrote:
Last June I drove up north from South Florida. I got off I 95 in Fredericksburg, VA. on route 17 which turns into 50 I believe, and followed that to I 81. Took that up to I 84. Stayed on that into CT and got back on I 95. There are a number of ways to do that part. The only toll I had was on a bridge crossing from PA to Newburgh, N.Y. I believe it was $9.50 for my MH towing a truck.
We plan to take this route in June. My question is: what are the roads like between Fredericksburg and Front Royal?

We have always cut across from Richmond to I81 on I64. Looks as if 17 to 15 to I66 might be the better way to go. Thanks
Judi

We took 17 out of Fredericksburg and stayed at Front Royal for 2 nights. Went through much of Shenandoah National park, with the toad, on our second day there. I believe we took 522 from there up to I 81. Those roads were fine, if I remember correctly. Sections of I 84 through CT were horrible, and there was a lot of construction last June.

*** Just realised I probably didn't take 50 as I wrote in my earlier post. I had forgotten about Front Royal :B I 64 would probably be as good or quicker way to get to I 81 from there. We weren't in that much of a rush and still ended up getting to Hingham MA. a day earlier than our reservation.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

gradygal
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how we do it to Cape Cod:
We go I81 to I 84 over the Beacon Newburgh bridge (that's our only toll) then in CT, off 84 just past Waterbury) we take I691 then to 66 (Middletown) then South on 9 to I95. That will bring you just south of New London and then up 95 through Providence RI to 195 to the Cape.

We have taken many routes to get to 81 over the years. This year we plan to take I17 across to Front Royal and then up to 84.

Judi

gradygal
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Last June I drove up north from South Florida. I got off I 95 in Fredericksburg, VA. on route 17 which turns into 50 I believe, and followed that to I 81. Took that up to I 84. Stayed on that into CT and got back on I 95. There are a number of ways to do that part. The only toll I had was on a bridge crossing from PA to Newburgh, N.Y. I believe it was $9.50 for my MH towing a truck.
We plan to take this route in June. My question is: what are the roads like between Fredericksburg and Front Royal?

We have always cut across from Richmond to I81 on I64. Looks as if 17 to 15 to I66 might be the better way to go. Thanks
Judi

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
Been doing this route for years...I/95 to I/26 (SC) to I/77 to I/81 to I/84 (1st toll Newburgh Beacon Bridge) to I/90 (Mass Pike and last toll to Cape Cod)
If snow is possible we get off I/81 in PA but I don't think you have to worry about that.

The Mass Pike seems quite a bit out of the way to me, in a trip to the Cape from the south. :h

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing this route for years...I/95 to I/26 (SC) to I/77 to I/81 to I/84 (1st toll Newburgh Beacon Bridge) to I/90 (Mass Pike and last toll to Cape Cod)
If snow is possible we get off I/81 in PA but I don't think you have to worry about that.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about working your way to I-81 to I-78 to I-287 over the Tappan-Zee toll bridge. As mentioned you have a couple of choices at this point. You can continue east on 287 to I-95 north to I-195 in Providence RI and on to Cape Cod. Or after the Tappan-Zee you could work your way to I-84, which features on going road construction in Waterbury CT.,then on to the Ma. Turnpike (toll road) at Surbridge then I-495 to the Cape. Be sure NOT, NOT to hit the Bourne or Sagamore bridges after 1 or 2 pm on any Friday afternoon. If you do expect 2 to 4 hours minimum delays. Those are the only 2 bridges to the Cape and they only have 2 lanes each so it's slow going.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mich F wrote:
That was our basic route to Boston a few years ago. Perhaps not the most direct, but far less stressful than I-95, Washington, Balt. Philly, NYC.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Last June I drove up north from South Florida. I got off I 95 in Fredericksburg, VA. on route 17 which turns into 50 I believe, and followed that to I 81. Took that up to I 84. Stayed on that into CT and got back on I 95. There are a number of ways to do that part. The only toll I had was on a bridge crossing from PA to Newburgh, N.Y. I believe it was $9.50 for my MH towing an SUV.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you use, watch the tolls closely. On one of the RV forums a guy pulling a toad with a Class A (don't remember if it had a tag) got nailed for $95 for going across the George Washington Bridge. Those fools up there are positively NUTS about tolls, bridges and toll roads. Even our rinky-dink "Delaware Turnpike" has the tolls for a car go from $2.00 to $6.00 on weekends so they can screw the beach goers. Total distance 36.4 miles.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus