cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ready Brake issue

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
After 5 years and 22,000 trouble free miles, I had my first issue with my Ready Brake system. After just coming through Wabash IN with it's railroad crossing, steep hills, and rough streets, I noticed the brake indicator light was staying on. I pulled to the side of the road to investigate and discovered that I had 3 broken cable strands that were preventing the brake cable from retracting fully into the sheath. I can't say how much, if any braking force was being applied as it was only pulling approximately 1"to 1-1/2" on the pedal. But, it wasn't a desirable condition and (the main point here) I wouldn't been aware of it if I didn't have the indicator light connected to the towed brake light circuit instead of Ready Brake's actuator switch. It will be an easy replacement but not something easily done while traveling.

4 REPLIES 4

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
if you where driving down the road, or stopped why was the light on in the first place

I believe the strands broke when crossing the tracks and the immediate steep grade caused the jerking motion of the towed to pull extra hard on the cable. There was/is adequate slack in normal operation. The broken strands prevented the cable from retracting fully which kept the brake pedal partially depressed. I know if it were critical I could have interrupted my trip to make temporary repairs, but I chose not too. I have a crimping tool at home and my connection to the brake pedal involves a quick disconnect arrangement that allows the cable to be pulled out when not using so the outside cable eye can be tucked away out of sight. Repairs will require correct measurement to get the proper finished cable length.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have a Ready Brake system when I was towing with a Motor Home. By looking at the cable with 3 broken strands you might have had the link cable abit to tight which is why the cable was damaged. Plus, it was a good thing you had the indicator light installed to tell you when the unit was engaged.

BUT, wait just one minute, if you where driving down the road, or stopped why was the light on in the first place. The Ready Brake unit only activates when your actually stopping. And once your stopped the unit goes back to it's normal state. Just something to think about. Now, if the only problem is with the broken cable I'd replace it with a new one, and this can be done by going to any hardware store and buy the right size and length of cable, and with a couple of cable clamps and your back in business. Fact is, I've still got the Ready Brake unit.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be a big deal to replace on the road. Good hardware store or farm supply store, get a length of the proper size cable and see if the can swag an eye on it. If not a couple of clamps should work. Disconnect the end to the brake pedal, shove your new cable in and tighten down. Done.

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you did get lucky and it should be fairly easy to replace once you get it home since you already have the holes in the right places.

I have the ready brake system but no longer use the brake cable. When I switched toads a couple of years ago I couldn't get through the firewall in the right place so I switched over a Patriot system using the same tow bar.(I also let the sensor light go with the MH when sold:S).I will still use the Patriot system in my new toad.

I never saw any wear on my cable and still have it (somewhere) after several years of towing. It is a great system and yours is the first problem that I've heard with it.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)