Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Keystone Carbon water tank leak - OMG poor quality!!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Keystone Carbon water tank leak - OMG poor quality!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a consumer it is that job of the service department to take care of all warranty work. As stated ~ (Keystone Carbon water tank leak - OMG poor quality) The sales department is quick to take your cash when you buy their product they should be a fast to take care of something that should of been done before it left the factory. If you don't apply pressure to all departments it well take weeks to get this handled and it shouldn't!! Go up the chain of command demand to get it done! As I said you can bury these companies that don't take care of you Yelp is a good start.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/18 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just think it's ridiculous to yell at a dealer's service department when you didn't buy your trailer there, and they are just following the manufacturer's policies. But then again, treating other people with respect seems to be a lost art these days.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/18 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I just think it's ridiculous to yell at a dealer's service department when you didn't buy your trailer there, and they are just following the manufacturer's policies. But then again, treating other people with respect seems to be a lost art these days.

There =is= no mfr policy regarding this. It's a free-for-all and the mfrs allow it to go on. You think this would go over if your truck needed warranty repairs on the road and you pulled into a dealership and were told "you didn't buy it here, back of the line for you". You know you'd be on the phone to that brand's HQ f'n =now=! If the mfrs sent it down line that they were instituting a FIFO service policy for anyone who wants to sell their products, quality likely wouldn't improve, but customer satisfaction sure would. I'm in agreement that the OP needs to find a good local RV tech to do the repair, keep all the bills, then submit them to Keystone for reimbursement, just as a dealer would.

Lyle

* This post was edited 05/11/18 10:30am by an administrator/moderator *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

eDUBz

Oxnard

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your better off tackling the issue your self so you don’t miss your trip. My water tank on our Pacific coachworks completely fell out in our drive way before our Texas trip a couple years. My welder buddy came over and added support brackets. Was quick and easy.

19’ TH - LBZ - RZR - Honda - SUPsurf - Fish - Kayak

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I'm in agreement that the OP needs to find a good local RV tech to do the repair, keep all the bills, then submit them to Keystone for reimbursement, just as a dealer would.

Lyle

Give that a try without getting Keystone to agree to it first, and you'll most likely end up having Keystone tell you to take a hike.

I've heard of other manufacturers authorizing owners to have mobile techs do warranty service, such as some Forest River divisions, however In 10 years of hanging around RV and camping forums I can not remember one time I have heard of Keystone authorizing it. My experience with Keystone has been if you call them about any warranty issue, and if you happen to get lucky and get through to a person, the canned response is always the same. "You have to take it to an authorized dealer".

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly this is nothing new, or limited to one brand. I had a new 2003 Fleetwood trailer, and one day discovered that the fresh water tank had fallen out of it's support cradle, and the only reason it was not laying on the road was it was being supported by the rear axle. The failure was a result of undersized bolts used to assemble the tank support subframe. They sheared and allowed the tank to fall. The dealer quickly replaced it with a new tank, that leaked like like a screen door. After a few more trips to the dealer, it was determined that the new OEM supplied replacement tank was now so extremely thin, that it was essentially unusable. It would "balloon" out, when filled, and end up holding a lot more water than it's rated capacity, as it expanded. While traveling, the excess pressure of this water blew the fittings off the top of the tank, and created streams of water flowing out of the belly fabric. After a third tank was fitted, the dealer advised that I only travel with a partially filled tank...................seriously.

Fifteen years later, and things are actually much worse, for the OP and many other victims of the RV industry. I currently own a reliable, well built eleven year old motorhome. I don't have a clue as to what I would do it I had to replace it any time soon. Since most of what I see at RV shows, is nothing but gaudy decorations, and disposable Chinese bells and whistles, attached to horrifically built, absolute scrap RVs. Doesn't matter if it's a $5K pop-up or a $200K motorhome.

* This post was edited 05/11/18 11:11am by soren *

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soren wrote:

Fifteen years later, and things are actually much worse, for the OP and many other victims of the RV industry. Since most of what I see at RV shows, is nothing but gaudy decorations, and cheaply Chinese bells and whistles, attached to horrifically built, absolute scrap RVs. Doesn't matter if it's a $5K pop-up or a $200K motorhome.

And there you have it........a 100% spot on description of the RV Industry circa 2018.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

JAC1982 wrote:

There =is= no mfr policy regarding this. It's a free-for-all and the mfrs allow it to go on. You think this would go over if your truck needed warranty repairs on the road and you pulled into a dealership and were told "you didn't buy it here, back of the line for you". You know you'd be on the phone to that brand's HQ f'n =now=! If the mfrs sent it down line that they were instituting a FIFO service policy for anyone who wants to sell their products, quality likely wouldn't improve, but customer satisfaction sure would. I'm in agreement that the OP needs to find a good local RV tech to do the repair, keep all the bills, then submit them to Keystone for reimbursement, just as a dealer would.

Lyle

But still, that's a problem with the RV industry and the manufacturers as a whole. Comparing to the auto industry is like apples and oranges. They don't work the same. I'm not saying it's RIGHT that the RV industry works this way, but it is what it is. Yelling and "raising hell" at a random service manager at the dealer isn't going to fix anything (especially the trailer).

Bob E.

Canonsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, I have been told by a car dealer (I didn't buy there) that they take care of "their customers" first when my truck broke down and they had like a week of lead time before they would even be able to look at it to see what was wrong.

CObroker

Thornton, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/18 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

Well efforts to work with Keystone factory (I offered to drive it there myself in IN to have it fixed) went nowhere.

Century RV said if I didn't buy it there they couldn't work on it.

Called Windish RV and they said they might be able to look at it around October.

But on the positive side, everyone I spoke with was really nice and understanding.

I'm trying to work with a local mobile/custom shop now. They've seen a lot of these before. I asked them if they could fix it properly (the way I would like to; plate steel bottom supported by new stronger angle iron brackets, hell I'll buy a new semi rigid tank if needed as well.)

I'm not quite ready to tackle it myself, but if all else fails, will do that.

2017 Ram 3500 SRW w/Aisin
2017 Keystone Carbon 364
2 2017 Suzuki RMX450z bikes
2 Santa Cruz 5010 mtn bikes
2 cats...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Keystone Carbon water tank leak - OMG poor quality!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS