Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: There is no such thing as Italian food
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> There is no such thing as Italian food

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

Thank yous to Toedtoes and Punomatic who actually read the article instead of snarking sight unseen. I like the fact that the article tried to educate people on the variety of cuisine found in the nation of Italy. It's informative for those who actually read it.

Italy does have great food but it's a lot more than red sauce, meat sauce and pasta. I've had some outstanding antipasto in little cafes that make their own cured meats. I've also had some fantastic cod dishes in the northern part of Italy.

People tend to try to compartmentalize cuisine and in doing so shrink the variation down to a standard menu size of dishes. Reality is so far from that. People (and food) tend to cross borders and meld together and that creates many variations.

Italian isn't just marinara sauce, Chinese isn't just chow mein, Greek isn't just lamb, etc. They offer so much more if you're willing to open your eyes.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

Thank yous to Toedtoes and Punomatic who actually read the article instead of snarking sight unseen. I like the fact that the article tried to educate people on the variety of cuisine found in the nation of Italy. It's informative for those who actually read it.

Italy does have great food but it's a lot more than red sauce, meat sauce and pasta. I've had some outstanding antipasto in little cafes that make their own cured meats. I've also had some fantastic cod dishes in the northern part of Italy.

People tend to try to compartmentalize cuisine and in doing so shrink the variation down to a standard menu size of dishes. Reality is so far from that. People (and food) tend to cross borders and meld together and that creates many variations.

Italian isn't just marinara sauce, Chinese isn't just chow mein, Greek isn't just lamb, etc. They offer so much more if you're willing to open your eyes.

Exactly.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Let's keep rolling!
Magnus

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/18 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have eaten my way across Italy and eaten in plenty of great Italian restaurants. We used to visit a neighborhood in Connecticut we called Spaghetti Mountain. Black Cadillacs lined up in front of brick row houses. Those people could party. I married into an Irish family and they loved the Italians.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just add "ish" to the end of all the cultural food categories so we don't offend anybody or get their panties in a wad.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/18 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only eat America Food. Everybody knows what that is.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> There is no such thing as Italian food
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS