Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco octane t30f owners??

Pzilly
Explorer
Explorer
Hey gang,
I am probably pulling the trigger on a new 2018 jayco octane t30f and I am looking for thoughts from other owners of this model, or another big octane model (aluminum frame w fiberglass skin). I have been in the unit, walked on it, crawled under it, and while I can see some small things I Dont like, my main needs seem to be covered on this model for my price range.

The frame and suspension seem pretty stout, I love that it has the more Ryde, Dexter axles w never adjust brakes and big good year endurance tires,(I only run maxxis or these, period) from the factory. I can truly fix anything that could break on this unit, however I don't want to be doing it on the side of the road! I once welded the exhaust back on my class A in gas station lot in the rain 3 days after surgery because no truck stop i have been too works on motorhomes hahahah

This floor plan is really the only one that works for me, I previously built my current TH 10 years ago from a 32' triple axle trailer because I needed a road dog w 16' garage so I built a nice beast that never let me down (after i discovered maxxis tires lol)she just worked, and still does, however life changes and now i have a 5 year old grandson, and two step kids just hitting teenage years so my current rig doesnt work as it was set up as a nice hide away for two, w a separate garage for my dune atvs, now I need a bunk house for 4 to 6 that can still be a work office, or fit the wife's mini or my corvette in just in case we have to go separate ways during a journey.

Anyway looking for pros and cons, RVs are one of the most under regulated industry I have ever seen, I have had 2 class A and my current TH, so I can fix the little stuff, what I need is a durable base. Thanks in advance gang!!!!
6 REPLIES 6

socaladam
Explorer
Explorer
Pzilly wrote:
Hey gang,
I am probably pulling the trigger on a new 2018 jayco octane t30f and I am looking for thoughts from other owners of this model, or another big octane model (aluminum frame w fiberglass skin). I have been in the unit, walked on it, crawled under it, and while I can see some small things I Dont like, my main needs seem to be covered on this model for my price range.

The frame and suspension seem pretty stout, I love that it has the more Ryde, Dexter axles w never adjust brakes and big good year endurance tires,(I only run maxxis or these, period) from the factory. I can truly fix anything that could break on this unit, however I don't want to be doing it on the side of the road! I once welded the exhaust back on my class A in gas station lot in the rain 3 days after surgery because no truck stop i have been too works on motorhomes hahahah

This floor plan is really the only one that works for me, I previously built my current TH 10 years ago from a 32' triple axle trailer because I needed a road dog w 16' garage so I built a nice beast that never let me down (after i discovered maxxis tires lol)she just worked, and still does, however life changes and now i have a 5 year old grandson, and two step kids just hitting teenage years so my current rig doesnt work as it was set up as a nice hide away for two, w a separate garage for my dune atvs, now I need a bunk house for 4 to 6 that can still be a work office, or fit the wife's mini or my corvette in just in case we have to go separate ways during a journey.

Anyway looking for pros and cons, RVs are one of the most under regulated industry I have ever seen, I have had 2 class A and my current TH, so I can fix the little stuff, what I need is a durable base. Thanks in advance gang!!!!

Have you considered an ATC toy hauler? We were on the same path with other model and for the money, nothing came close to the ATC for our needs.

http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/models.html

Pzilly
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
3,300 pounds or so for the Corvette. 50 gallons of water is 413 pounds. On-board fuel tank of 40 gallons...240 pounds. You are at 4000 pounds with nothing else in the RV.

Yeah most trips will be the mini, luckily with the bed on my 5500 I don't need to carry fuel or water on the trailer, my biggest concern is beefing up the ramp door...lol thanks for looking out for me though, I appreciate it...

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer we bought it from is Rhone's RV it is out in Cogan Station PA so not sure how much will be taking it there for any issues, since about 4.5 hours away from PGH. With a 5500 you should have nothing to worry about.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel
2018 Jayco T32C
Reese Straight-Line trunnion WDH

Pzilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, and the heads up,seems every brand has some loose ends these days. Dweller I see you are also in Pittsburgh, what dealer are you using for service? I figured the hitch weight is heavy, I think brochure says 1300 pounds, luckily my primary tow rig is a ram 5500. The TH I built was way tongue heavy, i added air bags to my 2500hd, then again solid oak doors, flooring, trim and cabinets will do that hahaha. I used to ***** about how thin something's in RVs were then I realized being cheap wasn't the only reason for the thin doors and panels, they saved a lot of weight. Thanks again

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
3,300 pounds or so for the Corvette. 50 gallons of water is 413 pounds. On-board fuel tank of 40 gallons...240 pounds. You are at 4000 pounds with nothing else in the RV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dkeller
Explorer
Explorer
We have the T32C Octane and have had a few issues in the couple months of ownership and really only one trip so far, such as water heater control board failed after one use covered by warranty, actually was able to just send board to dealer and they sent new one back not sure all dealers will do that. Had issue when using shore power seems when they connected the external plug they cut the red wire to short and instead of re-doing the wires they bent the others hoping they would not bend back well they did and the wire came out that took some figuring out. Those were the two big things there were other small things that would plan on the dealer having to fix once you go through your PDI. All in all seems like the build quality of the materials is there just not the fit and finish was expecting for the price. Notice yours has a pocket door as well make sure check to see if square when closed. run roof vent fans with lights on as will show any shorts as we found out, don't believe the hitch weight they tell you add a couple hundred pounds dry. Hope this helps
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Diesel
2018 Jayco T32C
Reese Straight-Line trunnion WDH