Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Violent tire blow out messed up my rig
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Violent tire blow out messed up my rig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1993 30ft class a fleetwood coronado on a p30 chassis. Im super on top of maintenance and safety but on the way back from my last trip a rear inner tire blew out and mangled the under storage cabinets. It literally blew the doors clean off. I managed to get them back in place and limped home on 1 tire. all 6 tires were replaced about 7 months ago and only have maybe 2000 miles on them with nice even wear. They are samson 8r19.5. Definitely a cheaper tire. After closely inpecting these tires i noticed that every single one of them has small stress cracks on the sidewalls. Why are these tires failing already? Should i replace the blown out tire with another cheap samson? Id really like a new set of goodyears all around after this experience but these tires are so fresh still! Minus the stress cracks. I was running 90psi all around. The sidewall calls for 110psi which seemed high to me. What tires do you guys run? Are crazy blowouts like this common?

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:

The sidewall calls for 110psi which seemed high to me.

You have to know the weight of your RV all loaded up as you would travel....preferably at each tire location, but at least per axle. If you don't know that, you don't know what inflation pressure you SHOULD be at based on your tires capabilities. You have to look at "110 PSI to carry the load stated on the tires." What is the weight on your tires compared to that, and what load will those tires carry at 90 PSI? The Mfg should have tables giving inflation pressures and load capacities at those pressures.

Also, never exceed the pressure the wheel can handle.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm runnng Samsons on mine they are 22.5s and are six years old and still looking good.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that in 1993 your coach had a GVWR of 16,000 pounds. At 90 psi you should not have had any problems with the tires, at least due to under-inflation.
Assuming that you checked your tires with an ACCURATE tire gauge, I am guessing that you received defective tires or that you exceeded the speed rating of the tires which is probably 75MPH.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tires on my 1st coach, a 1984 34.5' Airstream on the P-30 chassis used the same size tires as yours, inflated to 70 psi and I never had any issues with them. Sounds if perhaps your tires may have been over inflated.

One thing to be mindful of, is your tires are weakest link between your coach and the pavement so I will pay extra $$$ for quality tires.

I only run Bridgestones on my current coach and have never has any issues with them in the past 18 years.

So very sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience and hopefully it never happens again.

Best of luck and safe travels.[emoticon]

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the age of the first (last 4 digits of the complete DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire)?

A good reason to have a TPMS. Most tires start failing by looking air rather than going from perfect to zero all at once. Monitoring PSI while driving will save you from a catastrophic failure 90% of the time.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for the damage. You should have a placard somewhere in the mh that shows the tire pressure for your coach which is based on the tires that came with it and I suspect the GAWR. You should not need to exceed these numbers, but check the tire manufacturers chart. You should ignore the pressure on the sidewall, for the majority of folks you will never put that much air in.

I have read good reviews of your brand. Keep them clean and properly inflated.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:

Why are these tires failing already? Should i replace the blown out tire with another cheap samson?
Poor quality. Buy another cheap tire? Wouldn't seem to be a wise decision to me.

Get TPMS. Might have saved you from a lot of this damage. It won't save you from a sudden violent blow out, but it would from a slow leakage leading to one.

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Octaneforce wrote:

Why are these tires failing already? Should i replace the blown out tire with another cheap samson?
Poor quality. Buy another cheap tire? Wouldn't seem to be a wise decision to me.

Get TPMS. Might have saved you from a lot of this damage. It won't save you from a sudden violent blow out, but it would from a slow leakage leading to one.

I mainly ask because im not sure how sensitive these trucks are to having mismatched tire brands. Do i match the existing samsons? Replace the bad tire with a goodyear? Or get 6 new goodyears? I definitely didnt budget for new tires already.

An aftermarket tpms looks like a good safety net. Id definitely prefer flow thrus. Do these ever cause balancing/vibration issues? The sensors look pretty big.

2oldman

Burley ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get flow through. They restrict air input. No they don't cause balance issues. They are very light. I took off the anti theft caps. Very annoying when you need air.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Violent tire blow out messed up my rig
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS