Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Violent tire blow out messed up my rig
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Violent tire blow out messed up my rig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess these sat on the shelf for a while. Now i dont trust these tires. Is it worth switching to the metric size if i do all 6? Or just get the same size it has now? I might try the sumihotos. At the very least i need to get 2 new fronts like one member said and throw an old front on the rear.

ACDNate

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you contacted the manufacturer? 3 yr old tires shouldn't be having issues already.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires sitting on a shelf should not deteriorate too bad, UNLESS they were stored in an area subject to a lot of ozone from electric motors or from the atmosphere. Some areas of the country have higher ozone levels than others.

pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Tires sitting on a shelf should not deteriorate too bad, UNLESS they were stored in an area subject to a lot of ozone from electric motors or from the atmosphere. Some areas of the country have higher ozone levels than others.

I lived in So Cal where there is a high ozone content. 4 yr old Michelin's on my 3/4 ton PU looked worse than those Samson's! Michelin wouldn't even return my calls or e-mails.

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you kept the carcass of the tire. If so, then call Samson and start a claim/investigation for a defective tire. I had the same happen to me on a brand new Goodyear G647 (date code less than 4 months old at the time). Although Goodyear did not formally say that the tire was bad, they DID reimburse my insurance company for the tire as well as the damages incurred by the blowout. The tread on the tire peeled off. It looked like there was rust on the wires under where the tread peeled off. And yeah, it will cause chaos to the coach itself!

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used Toyos on all the vehicles I've owned in the last 45 years, once the originals were replaced. These include both a Class C and a Class A. I've never had a failure. Three different failures happened with the tires supplied on the new vehicles at relatively low mileages.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (9 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sent an email over to samson and gave them the situation. We’ll see what happens!

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So after many weeks of very good communication, samson is sending me a check to cover 6 new tires and the repair to my baggage doors. I was really impressed with the customer service and they were incredibly understanding. I thought they were going to send me actual tires but they kind of just left it up to me to decide if i will use samsons again. The shop i want to use doesnt even sell samson. They want to sell me sumihotos. I feel a little guilty but it is what it is.

6 new sumihoto tires mounted and balanced with “sandbags” along with an alignment, and i was quoted at roughly 2000 from my shop of choice. I priced around a few other places and they are all about the same. The chinese tires are definitely alot cheaper but i dont want to take a chance with my family riding in the rv! Lol

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/18 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:

So after many weeks of very good communication, samson is sending me a check to cover 6 new tires and the repair to my baggage doors. I was really impressed with the customer service and they were incredibly understanding. I thought they were going to send me actual tires but they kind of just left it up to me to decide if i will use samsons again. The shop i want to use doesnt even sell samson. They want to sell me sumihotos. I feel a little guilty but it is what it is.

6 new sumihoto tires mounted and balanced with “sandbags” along with an alignment, and i was quoted at roughly 2000 from my shop of choice. I priced around a few other places and they are all about the same. The chinese tires are definitely alot cheaper but i dont want to take a chance with my family riding in the rv! Lol

Good deal! Glad it was resolved to your satisfaction!!

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many users say, "buy a quality tire". Well exactly what is that? Many have had good luck with Samson, Hankook, Toyo, Hercules, and many have had bad results with Michelin, Goodyear. I had less than 5 year old Goodyear G670's and had 2, TWO! blowouts on the same day. Goodyear refunded my money on all 6 after some complaining to the state attorney general's office. Sometimes all you can do is have a TPMS, keep an eye on them for cracks, keep properly air inflation to the weight of the rig, and continue to play this game of what appears at times to be 'Russian roulette' when it comes to tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Violent tire blow out messed up my rig
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS