Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A vandalized on roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have NO idea why someone would do what they did. We live in a small town near Peoria & let's just say the criminal element is working it's way into our area, sadly. We called the insurance & so far, they've come up with $11,000 in damages BUT they only want to pay for a partial roof repair - it's a one piece rubber roof - how is that even possible? They also only want to pay for a partial headliner. Our TV was literally sitting in water, along with the antenna thingy, a dvr, & whatever else is up there in front but the adjuster didn't really address the electrical issues we could have from the water damage to the dashboard, not a word about the flooring which is bubbling up, nothing about possible mold, the thing stinks to high heaven because of mildew & no mention of cleaning anything either. Oh & the soonest we could actually get it into a repair person around here is August at the earliest. Our whole Summer is ruined by then without our motorhome. GRRRR!!!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please folks - check on your RV regularly in the off-season. Whether on your property or in storage.

Don't assume that it will make it through the winter without issue. Check and make sure it's OK.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go back to the insurance company and ask for another inspector. Looks like the one you had doesn't know beans from bisquick

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is my understanding the insurance adjuster gets a cut from what the insurance pays.. the less the insurance pays, the more he/she gets. Whether true or not, I certainly would not accept first offer and also ask for another inspector by your insurance company.

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/18 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to you all for your ideas, suggestions, & comments. We asked for someone from a local RV dealership to come out & supplement the first adjuster's estimate. We'll see how that goes.

Please learn from this - always check your rig during the off-season. I've been camping my entire life & have never had this happen til now. Fingers crossed we get someone who knows what they're talking about this time.

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry to hear about this. Just when you think you've heard it all...hard to imagine why someone would do that. You just never know what some people are capable of. Makes me glad I live out in the country and my motorhome is stored in a shed.

I hope your insurance carrier changes their minds and ends up taking care of you. Insurance is a frequent topic here with people asking about costs and service. Unfortunately, companies that don't want to pay out fairly are out there.

Good luck.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

File a claim. This is going to take very deep pockets to repair. Depending upon the type and age of the RV it could be totaled. You likely have a very serious disaster on your hands.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. You just joined. You need to post Year/Brand/Model and mileage of the Motorhome to get any real help about cost
2. EPDM(Rubber) roof's are NEVER--NEVER partially repaired. The complete roof and under decking has to be replaced. Reputable Insurance companies pay for that. Average cost JUST for the roof repair will be in the $6000 to $8000 range at average $150 labor rates
3. To the other poster, Insurance adjusters do not get spiffs for reducing payouts. Now, Independent adjusters YOU hire to get a more fair settlement from the insurance company on a claim may charge a percentage of the extra money they get you.
4. Since you state the Insurance wants to pay for partial, I will bet it is Geico or Progressive as they are the biggest pains to deal with on RV claims.
5. Your other high cost item will be the front area where the dash/TV is. Since the wood has rotted, rebuilding that front cap area will be a nightmare in cost. Odds are the front cap will have to be pulled to do the job correctly.
Doug

fourmat

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on year sounds like a total loss

2009 Challenger

rogerddd

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read your insurance contract to make sure they cover vandalism. Some policies may not. At least you would know where you stand if you file a claim.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS