Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A vandalized on roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry you're going through this but I'd be leery about parking another RV on your property. I think you now need to find another option for storing it after it's repaired or if you get a new one. Just wondering if anyone else in your area received any damage like this over the winter. Did you make a police report?

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes we made a police report. thankfully vandalism is covered by our insurance - we had no idea if it was or not. we are definitely getting a different insurance company after this is all settled. it's bad enough when something you've worked hard to obtain, pay for in full, & treasure time with your family in it gets ruined by someone else but to then be treated poorly just adds salt to the wound.

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/18 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Average value for your model is 25k, not 35k. While it IS your baby, you have to be realistic on the real value of that motorhome. One thing novices do when they go to the Kelly type sites is they ADD all what they think is optional equipment. REAL NADA books already have those options as standard equipment built into the price listed, which is where the actual 25k value comes from. Doug

Better yet to find real value is to thoroughly search the unit on the web to see what it is selling for. Valuing at "Book"....even just the Base w/o option adders, can be a huge mistake. It varies by brand and model, but many actually sell for far, far less than book. PPL Motorhomes has good information on their website about this. The "books" usually just take off a certain amount each year because there aren't a ton of each brand/model length, etc. selling in any given year to get a good used market price. That practice can be quite inaccurate.

That said, I'm sure most Insurance Companies and Banks use the book value.

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I may be a novice when it comes to pricing vehicles of any type, my husband has owned several car dealerships in the past so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/18 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cnc0918 wrote:

While I may be a novice when it comes to pricing vehicles of any type, my husband has owned several car dealerships in the past so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Car pricing is completely different from RV pricing. My family owned a car dealership and they would be the first to tell you that everything you think you know about pricing vehicles goes out the window with RVs.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/18 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow - ok. thanks for the productive comments everyone.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/18 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If an insurance company is jerking you around, remember...you PAID for certain coverage and they are OBLIGATED to provide it.

If you believe they are acting in BAD FAITH, do not hesitate to contact your state's insurance commissioner.

He or She will ensure the insurance company is meeting their obligations. From experience, I can say they do NOT have a sense of humor for unscrupulous operators and are not timid about using their authority to levy charges if appropriate.

"They" strike fear into the hearts of insurance companies.

"But what if insurance companies are doing the right thing, why should they fear the insurance commissioner?" - EXACTLY!

THAT is how you defend yourself against unethical and inappropriate behavior by insurance companies.

Be sure to document your conversations and your findings as you go.

BTW, if you are UNSURE about how an insurance company should be handling your claim, your state's insurance commissioner can and often will answer your questions, just not give legal advice...just like this is not legal advice [emoticon]

Good luck and hope you get treated fairly and with respect [emoticon]

TugCE

Leesburg, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/18 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When Irma came through Florida our Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler was damaged and We have SafeCo for all of our vehicles. So, I called in and started a claim. This RV was in a park about 30 minutes from our sticks and bricks so I let them know to please give me a heads up on when the Adjuster would be coming.

I'm sitting around on a Sunday Morning when I got a phone call from the adjuster saying that he was at the RV. I told him it would take me almost an hour to get there and he said no problem.

The area where the RV was at DID NOT Flood so the Inspector was having a problem with our "Flood" Claim. I told him the flooding came from a Roof Vent that had blown off during the storm which flooded the Galley Area. All of the area was soaked including the floor of the slide. He told me to get some estimates from RV Dealers for repairs. The lowest that I got started at $10,000 but stated that it would go up from there depending on what was found once the tore into it.

The adjuster ask me what I thought it was worth and I was honest as I had already checked NADA and also searched for recent sales of me model rig.

Long Story short, they totalled it and gave me way more than I thought I would be getting. When the Adjuster was there, he listed ALL options such as Generator etc, which he said made a difference when it came to the settlement price.

To the OP, I agree that you should get some honest estimates but something to keep in mind is the amount of time that your RV will sit before repairs are completed. This was a big worry for us as we were concerned about Black Mold. This was one of the reasons that the decision to Total it was made and something for you to mention to your Insurer.

Best of Luck and I hope they total your rig as it will most likely not ever be the same.

I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/18 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wallynm wrote:

Time to contact an attorney..................

Yup, and when you do the insurance company buckles down. The insurance company has deeper pockets and you will eventually loose. Then you are out attorney fees

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up getting an estimate from a company that the adjuster told us he had contacted to get pricing from. This company is a family owned business so when my husband went to talk to them, he specifically asked if they'd heard from this particular person/company - they said absolutely NOT. So, the "expert adjuster" LIED to us & so did the insurance company who also stated they'd spoken to this company. WHAT A JOKE!!!

Anyway, the company we contacted for a new estimate said it would be a MINIMUM $25,000 & that's without any of the mechanicals that are probably damaged. After quite a rainy Spring, we officially have black mold. The motorhome stinks to high heaven & the black mold is not only in the ceiling area, it's spreading through the walls as well. We are STILL waiting to hear a final word from the insurance. I absolutely am amazed that the TV over the dashboard is still hanging on up there - the entire cabinetry must be hanging on by a thread at this point. Will let you know what the final decision is - that is, if they EVER make it!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS