Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A vandalized on roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a 2005 Landau 34' with 2 slides & only 23,000 miles on it. Blue books around $35,000 or so. And thank you for verifying what I thought was correct - the rubber roof deal - I cannot believe this yahoo thought a partial replacement would be just fine. Our insurance is with Madison Mutual. One of the claims supervisors even had the audacity to suggest we'd thrown the brick into our motorhome roof. Seriously? We love that thing!! It's paid in full, there's no reason on earth that we'd want to ruin it. This would probably be the last Summer that our kids (15 year old twin boys) would even want to go with us on extended vacations - no WAY would we risk that for anything! Once they get their driver's licenses I'm sure we'll hardly see them at all. Our insurance agent is not pleased with any of this but is remaining professional about it & has been pushing them to do the right thing. We'll see what happens.

OH48Lt

Whitehouse, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cnc0918 wrote:

Our insurance is with Madison Mutual. One of the claims supervisors even had the audacity to suggest we'd thrown the brick into our motorhome roof.

Yep, thought they might try that. The damage was caused in a very suspicious, unusual manner.

Another thing they might try is to agree to pay for the roof damage, but not the subsequent water damage because you didn't check on the property often enough.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just saying that insurance companies will do whatever they can to lessen their liability.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we originally bought it a couple years ago, we borrowed the money from our bank, it's paid in full now & I think the insurance company thought we still owed on it so I guess that would be a 'reason' to destroy our own property but it's paid in full & we love it. We hope they'll fix it so we can have it back but we want it fixed properly. I don't think that's too much to ask.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH48Lt wrote:

cnc0918 wrote:

Our insurance is with Madison Mutual. One of the claims supervisors even had the audacity to suggest we'd thrown the brick into our motorhome roof.

Yep, thought they might try that. The damage was caused in a very suspicious, unusual manner.

Another thing they might try is to agree to pay for the roof damage, but not the subsequent water damage because you didn't check on the property often enough.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just saying that insurance companies will do whatever they can to lessen their liability.

This is true with most Insurance companies. In Texas, we have a lot of Deer hunters that have RV's on their Deer Leases 24/365. We have had some claims denied or cut back due to the fact the RV, while the original damage was covered, the subsequent damage from water intrusion was NOT. Due to the fact the Hunter did not find the damage and water damage months after the fact. Policy holders have duty to mitigate damage from accidents and future claims. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Average value for your model is 25k, not 35k. While it IS your baby, you have to be realistic on the real value of that motorhome. One thing novices do when they go to the Kelly type sites is they ADD all what they think is optional equipment. REAL NADA books already have those options as standard equipment built into the price listed, which is where the actual 25k value comes from. Doug

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All,

They are "concrete" block, not cement block.

Sorry some stupid person vandalized your RV.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to contact an attorney. Insurance is low balling you. If final damage is more than book value they will just declare it a total loss. Take the money and run

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

cnc0918

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Husband went to a local RV mechanic today. He's coming out next Thursday to do a thorough inspection & do an estimate for the insurance company. He said there's no WAY to replace part of a rubber roof & part of the headliner. We also told him how bad it smells in the coach, that there's black stuff on the ceiling, & he said it would probably need a mold abatement which is thousands of dollars. He also said the roof would be completely removed, all the wood would be removed, an entirely new headliner put on the new wood, & new roof. He also told him that the carpet & linoleum would need to be completely removed from the entire coach & to really push for that with the insurance because they are put down in one piece & that it needs to be replaced in the exact same way. Could be interesting to see what he comes up with. He looked up the value, by the way, & average value is around $31,000 - with ours having such low mileage, it bumps it up to closer to the $35,000 range.

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your troubles and how your insurance company is treating you. I recently had a claim and the accident was totally my fault. Did some under carriage damage and my carrier treated me great. Sent an adjuster 2 days after I reported it, he looked at it, said take it to whoever I preferred and get a repair estimate. I sent him 2 estimates and received a check for the higher amount 4 days later. Less my deductible of course.
After you get through this, you may want to find a better company to insure with.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/18 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cnc0918 wrote:

Husband went to a local RV mechanic today. He's coming out next Thursday to do a thorough inspection & do an estimate for the insurance company. He said there's no WAY to replace part of a rubber roof & part of the headliner. We also told him how bad it smells in the coach, that there's black stuff on the ceiling, & he said it would probably need a mold abatement which is thousands of dollars. He also said the roof would be completely removed, all the wood would be removed, an entirely new headliner put on the new wood, & new roof. He also told him that the carpet & linoleum would need to be completely removed from the entire coach & to really push for that with the insurance because they are put down in one piece & that it needs to be replaced in the exact same way. Could be interesting to see what he comes up with. He looked up the value, by the way, & average value is around $31,000 - with ours having such low mileage, it bumps it up to closer to the $35,000 range.

RV Mechanics have NO CLUE as to value. I AM a 38 year Master Certified RV Technician and still working and do not claim to know what RV values are. MY 25k (What we would be selling it for) came from our motorhome sales dept which they are pretty darn accurate. REAL world selling on used is what you have to take into account, not just what the Books state. Based on what your Tech stated needed to be done, your RV will be totaled. In its condition, I would not even think about buying it back to rebuild yourself. BTW, you do not get a 4k dollar jump due to low mileage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A vandalized on roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS