cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip to Virginia

Tweeter
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on taking a trip to Virginia in June & July of next year. We plan on staying a month and touring the state and surrounding areas. We would appreciate your suggestions on places to stay, visit & eat. State parks will not work as we need full hook ups & travel in a large motorhome. We love America and want to see as much of her as we can. Thanks guys for your comments.
14 REPLIES 14

Scarlet63
Explorer
Explorer
In the DC area try the Regional Park in Manassas, BULL RUN Regional Park. Nice campsites, convenient to Downtown DC, Metro Access is close.
We stay there when we have to visit DC for work.
Candy Hill in Winchester is also a good site for Winchester, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, and Southern PA.(Gettysburg).

I've also spent a couple of months at the Harpers Ferry KOA.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I don't think you will be able to see much of VA during a 1 month stay in 1 location unless you plan to spend 1/2 that month driving the toad. Parks have weekly rates that will save you some money but if you want to "see" VA (and DC) you are going to have to move around a bit. Cherry Hill is the best choice in the DC area.

I would agree. I've also lived in VA all my life.

To see/visit the tidewater area, I would stay at American Hertiage in Williamsburg. To see the Richmond/Charlottesville area, I would stay at Americamps in Ashland. Your best bet if you want to see/visit the northern VA/DC area is Cherry Hill in College Park, MD.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

rascalflat
Explorer
Explorer
We work camped for five months at

Lake Philpot

which offers desirable camp sites, but not for a month at a time, nor your size coach.

I suggest that you g00gle for RV camping around Martinsville, VA as that venue is used to hosting rigs for the NASCAR races at the speedway.

The town is affordable, wonderfully scenic with a unique "old south" charm.

And, the location is central to western VA, Charlottesville, Galax, Floyd and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

http://newmarkountrystar.com/contact/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you will be able to see much of VA during a 1 month stay in 1 location unless you plan to spend 1/2 that month driving the toad. Parks have weekly rates that will save you some money but if you want to "see" VA (and DC) you are going to have to move around a bit. Cherry Hill is the best choice in the DC area.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Tweeter wrote:
Thanks everyone for your great comments. We are touring the east coast next year and plan on stopping in Virginia for a month - we like to stay a month because of better rate at most places. We travel in a 42 ft motorhome as we are full timers. We're looking for an RV park to stay a month & take our tow vehicle to see surrounding areas - we plan on traveling to DC. We have a variety of interests - enjoy most everything all is a new adventure. An area drivable to DC would be nice as we are from Texas we are a custom that driving a ways to get to larger cities. I'm searching for a moderately priced park not over 1,000.00 a month. Hopefully this has been beneficial - we are rather new at all this & can learn from those of you who have enjoyed this lifestyle a little longer and what areas of Virginia you have like the most. Thanks everyone

You'll be spending a lot of time driving the toad with this plan. I've lived in VA my whole life. To go just from Roanoke to Va Beach is every bit of 5 hours. Roanoke to DC is 4 hours. I would reconsider and stay along I-81, Richmond/Charlotesville, Williamsburg and Northern VA to really see this great state.

JBDB
Explorer
Explorer
For visiting the Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown "Historic Triangle", I'd suggest American Heritage RV Park. We stayed there for the first time last week and it was very nice. It's also close to the beach area ( Virginia Beach ) and anything in the Norfolk area, as well as Civil War locations in and around Richmond. Have a great trip to our great State.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to park the MH for a month, then Richmond area (including Ashland) would be my choice.
From there
Williamsburg 1 hr
Norfolk Va Beach 2 hrs
DC 2 hrs
Charlottesville 1.25 hrs
Harpers Ferry WV 2.5 hrs
Outer Banks NC 3 hrs

Tweeter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your great comments. We are touring the east coast next year and plan on stopping in Virginia for a month - we like to stay a month because of better rate at most places. We travel in a 42 ft motorhome as we are full timers. We're looking for an RV park to stay a month & take our tow vehicle to see surrounding areas - we plan on traveling to DC. We have a variety of interests - enjoy most everything all is a new adventure. An area drivable to DC would be nice as we are from Texas we are a custom that driving a ways to get to larger cities. I'm searching for a moderately priced park not over 1,000.00 a month. Hopefully this has been beneficial - we are rather new at all this & can learn from those of you who have enjoyed this lifestyle a little longer and what areas of Virginia you have like the most. Thanks everyone

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tweeter wrote:
Planning on taking a trip to Virginia in June & July of next year. We plan on staying a month and touring the state and surrounding areas. We would appreciate your suggestions on places to stay, visit & eat. State parks will not work as we need full hook ups & travel in a large motorhome. We love America and want to see as much of her as we can. Thanks guys for your comments.

Burson Campground at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion has some long FHU (plus WiFi and laundry) pull thrus large enough for any motor home I’ve ever seen.
Larry

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned, the state is large enough to need a couple of moves while you are there. Not knowing specific interest and manner in which you travel I'll throw out a rough itenerary.
Starting from Bristol Tn/Va northbound on I-81.
Along the interstate here you have the Blue Ridge Pkwy running roughly parallel 50 or so miles east. Toad trips up and down the BRP are great, Town of Floyd is an interesting stop for original Bluegrass style music. you could spend maybe 3 days in the area unless hiking is a major interest, then it expands, State parks are great hiking oppurtunities here.
Continuing NE on either the BRP or I-81 a stop near the northern end of the BRP also puts you near Charlottesville and the Thomas Jefferson exhibits. nearby Lexington Va. has the Virginia Horse center, and your fairly close to Natural bridge state park. Again you can easily spend a few days here.
From I-64 here in the Charlottesville area, you could continue on either Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National park or go a little west and take I-81 which is still running parallel to the area from Front Royal Va to Harpers Ferry WV. Through this stretch you will also pass several caverns. From Front Royal I-66 gives a means of getting as close as you can stand to DC. Traffic becomes a nightmare during commuting hours but there are a couple of campgrounds which are close to rail lines which give access to the National Mall, and all the museums. Also Baltimore's inner Harbor is worth a day, the USS Constellation and the aquarium are great visits. You can easily spend a week in this region and have new things to do daily.
From there head back south to Williamsburg Va. The recreated colonial capitol and Jamestown can take 3 days alone, and Richmond and Norfolk are both less than an hour away offering more museums and historical attractions to occupy a few more days.
If you still have a little time, from Williamsburg its about 3 hours south to the Outer Banks of NC. Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, the Wright Brothers Memorial and the perfect chance to try hang gliding from the same dunes where the first plane flew. Several lighthouses in the area and the "Lost Colony" show in Manteo, as well as some beach and fishing time can easily fill any extra days you still had available.

Campgrounds for FHU can be found in other post here, I was just trying to give an overview of possible sights.
Happy motorin

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have stayed at this KOA. They have two separate areas and one place is very quiet and can handle big rigs. This is a great place to venture out to the nearby sites.
KOA Campground

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
The western part of the state has most of the mountains and the best scenery. If you are a transportation fan, Roanoke has a great transportation museum and a lot of railroad history. Bedford VA has the National D-Day Memorial. Heading north on I81 takes you into the Shenandoah Valley with lots of Civil War History.

The Piedmont and eastern part of the state offers more history (Appomattox Courthouse National Park), and Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown. The coast offers everything from the ocean at Virginia Beach and numerous places to see the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. Lots of military things to see in the Norfolk area.

RV parks that can accomodate larger RV's:

Williamsburg......American Hertitage
Virginia Beach/Norfolk.......Holiday Travel Park
Richmond....Americamps in Ashland, VA

There are others but these are three I have used.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
If you plan to do the Charlottesville area to see Montpelier, Monticello, etc., be sure to use the KOA. It's about 12 miles south of town. Forget Misty Mountain which is west off the interstate. That owner is a real jerk and will put you in a spot with a 50 amp plug, but only 30 amp going to it. But he charges extra of course. Also, he has sites so tight, we were asked to pull in our slides so our neighbor could pull out. The young couple that run the KOA are wonderful and will accommodate your wishes if possible. But do call ahead. The park fills up most weekends and any time there is a special event at the university.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tweeter wrote:

VA is a big State. Any guidance on your plans or are you just willing to wing it? Are you hoping to stay in one place or will you be moving once a week or so? What kinds of interests do you have? Are you also planning to include the DC area? As much detail as possible will help.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?