Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about a 1995 Fleetwood Rio Grande

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I am seeking some info for my son's pop up/folding trailer. We opened it up today and were trying to understand how things operate. He purchased the camper last year but didn't get a chance to use it...they are wanting to take it out this weekend.

I have owned trailers/5th wheels/motorhomes in the past but never a pop up...so it's new to both of us. I was hoping to get some help with the following:

1. I'm fairly certain the camper has a furnace, I see a thermostat. But can't see/find a water heater??? I can't believe it doesn't have a water heater?? I see what I believe is the red switch for a water heater.

2. there is a 12 volt battery up front on the tongue in a battery box, but I don't see any cables connecting the battery to the camper?? I would think it should be tired in to the camper....or do we just take it out when needed? Where would it connect to?

Thanks for the help!
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
11 REPLIES 11

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Just steer clear of the ABS roofs.. Late 90's - Mid 2000's
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1995 Chesapeake, and the Roof was Alumitite......probably the best roof to have.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

b_rharmon
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at some images of the same year and model, there is no sign of the access door outside for a water heater. I see the furnace vent and water tank fill cap. The unit I saw has a battery and propane tank.

By the way, the roof on your son's trailer is not the style that had problems with delamination. But always check for leaks and water damage which might indicate the need to re-caulk.

There is probably no water pump but a manual pump to get water into the sink. That was the way it was done on older trailers.
Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Small pups often don't have water heaters. If you don't have a shower, what is the point?

Fleetwoods are nice campers, but watch the roofs on them. Lots of years with lots of problems like delamination etc. A good place to go to get an amazing amount of information is pop up explorer the forum. It has been around since around 2005 and the archived information on there (searchable) is voluminous on anything having anything to do with pop ups. There is a behind load of info on Fleetwoods there of every number and stripe. They used to make Colemans before a licensing fight that finally bankrupted Fleetwood along with the great recession.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Sure would like an update on the first trip out ?.....did they like it ?....problems ?
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!...I appreciate the help. I will check out the other website also.

I don't see any evidence of water heater, which just seemed strange to me. I would have thought there would have been a water heater before there would have been a furnace.

They are taking it out for a weekend trip, I will be anxious to hear what they think about it 🙂

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Remember on the Battery hookup, white wire is the ground wire on DC circuits..If hook up backwards can cause a big problem. as far as HW heater look for a door with louvers on the outside, should have a round tab with a hole in it, this is the door to the HW heater.
another good site for you is www.popupportal.com, this is dtrictly pup's and someone on there will have a unit like your Son's.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

GNO22
Explorer
Explorer
My PUP has a red switch on the bench seat just to the right of the sink. It is definitely the on switch for the water heater.

As for the battery, there should be cables on it that run into the camper. The battery never leaves its case on the tongue.

Hope this helps!

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!

My son and I are going to open it up again tonight and I will look it over again to see if I can learn more.

I can't be positive because I didn't pay close enough attention yesterday but I do think the sink faucet is a single push down handle so your comment about not having a hot water handle makes perfect sense. Maybe it doesn't have a water heater after all.

I don't know how to post pics, will see if my son can help. As for the battery up front....it is just in a plastic battery box but no cables running from it.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking the Red Switch is to power the Water Pump for the Sink.....should be to the Left up of the Swing Up Galley when set up. Thermostat has nothing to do with Water Heater.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water heater? What kind of faucet does it have? If you don't have a water heater there is no need for two faucets. Those without a heater usually had a single pump faucet of some sort.

If it has a water heater it will be behind the standard "door" on the outside of the trailer close to the sink.

Include some pictures of the battery situation.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch