cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I make reservations now for Nova Scotia, etc?

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip to the eastern provinces in late summer -- the dates are still flexible. What I don't know is how crowded the RV parks in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island will be during late August, or after labor day.

So, should I go ahead and make some Canadian reservations now, or will I be safe (more or less) to wait and make reservations a few days ahead as the trip in Canada develops?
7 REPLIES 7

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
You will not need reservations late August into Sept with the exception of Labor Day. Labor Day weekend tends to be busy, so when you get here and have an idea where you may be that weekend, it would be a good idea to book ahead.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had to make reservations in the eastern provinces more than a day or so in advance. Never tired the provincial parks, so that may be different. We've camped in New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia with no problem. Keep in mind than many Canadian camps close down for the winter in September/October.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about NS but here in Ontario people sit on their computers 5 months in advance at midnight when the reservations open to get campsites reserved in Ontario provincial parks and they are gone in a day or two. I tried reserving a national park campsite in Manitoba when reservations opened and because I waited until the second day the reservations opened I couldn't get a reservation for the dates I wanted.

Bottom line - reserve ahead to be sure that you can get in, and do it early!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We were detained and harassed for a few hours at the border. When they finally said that we could now enter Canada, I was so pissed off at them that I asked where I could make a "U" turn back to USA. It just takes one border guard who had a bad day to ruin your trip.

He didn't ruin your trip-you did by letting someone who's only doing their job get under your skin. Someone who is traveling from one country to another with no plan is often deemed suspicious. We were detained entering New Brunswick once years ago-the agents who boarded our RV were only doing what they were paid to do and that's keep their country safe. I've had far worse issues trying to re-enter the states. I hold no ill will towards anyone in that position trying to make this world a safer place.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, we travel and virtually never make reservations. I would never make reservations in Canada. (just me) We were on our cross country trip and part of it is where you plan to go. We were detained and harassed for a few hours at the border. When they finally said that we could now enter Canada, I was so pissed off at them that I asked where I could make a "U" turn back to USA. It just takes one border guard who had a bad day to ruin your trip.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder the same thing. Posting so I can follow this thread.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Weekends and holidays in the summer are always bad in Canada.
Week days are usually ok.

Maybe less so in late August, but still I try to reserve on weekends and Holidays even then.

After Labour Day weekend, no problem.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow