cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wire eating mice

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere in the past I read about a solution you could spray into the engine bay on the motor home that mice and other rodents did not like . I've searched the archives with no result. Does anyone have a tip.
10 REPLIES 10

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
One problem that is happening now too is that the auto manufactures have done is switch from a oil based insulation to a soy based insulation, so now its better tasting for all you furry friends...

flagstickfrank
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, I'll try a couple of these today.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was installing a new exhaust head pipe on my Ford F-350. I had both arms buried in the engine compartment when I noticed 2 large beady eyes staring back at me. There was a pack rat living in the engine compartment of my truck. They are notorious for doing thousands of dollars of damage to electrical system. It happened to my neighbor. The previous owner left in the middle of the night and left garbage under the deck. A real idiot.

After some research I learned to raise the hood and keep a light on. I used evergreen boughs to discourage him. They access most engine compartments by climbing up the tie rod ends. I put a rat trap there. I trapped one in the yard and an owl got another one. Problem solved.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was thinking it was red pepper oil or mixture made by boiling red pepper flakes then spraying.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with the following in the engine bay...

http://www.asseenontvandbeyond.com/Rodent-Sheriff-Mint-Rodent-Repellent--As-Seen-On-TV_p_214.html
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Critter Ridder spray. Bought it at Home Depot after they ate the wiring on my truck THREE times. After spray no more problems.

Cridder Ridder

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on peppermint oil . dip cotton balls and put where they are at. On engine for sure. Might have to move vehicle till they give up.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
peppermint oil.

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
I too use coyote urine and it seems to work but only put it on the ground or tires. The smell, if you get it near the doors or windows can be ....off putting. I got mine from Amazon. Snap traps under the hood work also. I do not put snap traps on the ground to avoid the good critters being harmed.
Turret Class traveler

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago, during another one of the gas crisis fiascos, it was determined that we should not waste petroleum to make the insulation for electrical wiring.
The industry switched to SOY based insulation material which saved them a few barrels of oil but unfortunately rodents loved to eat the now edible insulation.
On an RV, as with many other vehicles, and homes, there are a lot of wires that go from one end of the coach to the other end.
I have used both fox and coyote urine, which is available from most online hunting supply stores, to spray around my RV and this seems to do a good job of keeping squirrels and mice away. I spray this all around the wheels and any other thing that makes contact with the ground and would allow rodents to get inside the coach.