cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front end alignment

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Took my 2017 Jayco Class c to have alignment done today. Told alignment guy wanted caster set at +5 5.5. He said having wonder and constant moving of the wheel and very fatigueing. I said you got it. He said he has done many of them and assured me it will make a big difference. Unfortunately I only live 6 mile from shop so didn't get to test it out. Have a 3 week trip planned in July with lots of Interstate and pulling a car. Hope he is right but had it done because of the positive comments on here.
7 REPLIES 7

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I have had RV s for over 30 yrs. tag alongs,5th wheels , cl A and
this is my 2nd Cl C, Had previous one 11yrs. Keep front tires at 65 psi,. Yes I got the before and after print out. This shop does a lot of my work so if not right I know where to find them.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
E-Series chassis have always seemed to wander. Some of it is driving style (try not to move the wheel as much), but some (most) is just the suspension design including the high amount of boost the power steering has.

Adding caster does NOT affect tire wear, but may increase the amount of effort required to make tight corner. Not likely with the high boost power steering system.

They do make a camber bushing insert, but this is usually only needed to reduce tire wear on lightly loaded E-Series chassis.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
RVs are heavy. They can wear out the front end components relatively quickly. That is often the cause of the wandering and difficulty in keeping the vehicle in a straight line.

The OP stated he has a 2017 model, no miles given.

My unit is a 2004 model and it had 14,000 miles when I changed the caster (2010). Today it has 54,000 miles with the same front end parts.

Just saying....

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVs are heavy. They can wear out the front end components relatively quickly. That is often the cause of the wandering and difficulty in keeping the vehicle in a straight line.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If Shop did what they say they did, you should be good. Still, follow the advice of the Old Gipper: Trust But Verify! Take a test drive, but be sure your front tire pressures are right first.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the before and after. Sounds to me like you found the right guy in the right shop. Good Work.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you do a test drive and verify its good to go..
Instead of waiting till trip and have that "Oh $h*% " if it wasn't done right.

Did he give you a before and after printout of the Alignment #'s ??