cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oklahoma Roads

ddav15
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if I40/I44 from Missouri thru Oklahoma is still rough and with pot holes or is it fixed now? Is there a better road for a 5th wheel from Joplin to Tucumcari?
15 REPLIES 15

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
BlindGuynAR wrote:
Yes i40 has been terrible for 25 years and it still will be 25 years from now

That's the truth. Never been on I40 between Barstow and Little Rock when it wasn't rough and full of potholes. My buddy used to tell me that if you ever get lost in the potholes going east on I40, just follow the baloney wrappers and you'll make it to Little Rock. :B

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:
No argument that people complain about road construction, but the way they're doing it on the turnpike is downright dangerous for motorists. Especially the concrete barriers placed right up to the highway lanes for miles and miles. My post was intended as a heads up for those driving large rigs that they might investigate other routes, depending of course on their destination.

Oh I totally understand it was mostly a warning. I go to Tulsa from OKC at least once a week. I can't recall off hand what the speed limit is through there but, I do remember most everyone was going 15-20 MPH over it.
But yeah, good heads up.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
In construction zones, the workers are usually in more danger from the drivers. Narrow detour lanes may feel dangerous, but they give the workers a larger safe space.

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
No argument that people complain about road construction, but the way they're doing it on the turnpike is downright dangerous for motorists. Especially the concrete barriers placed right up to the highway lanes for miles and miles. My post was intended as a heads up for those driving large rigs that they might investigate other routes, depending of course on their destination.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
People gripe when there's road construction. AND they gripe when the roads are in bad shape!!

Our roads aren't any better or worse than any other state. And I've been in lots of states, in the car, truck, bus, on the motorcycle, and the motorhome. The roads are all the same.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We drove the Turner Turnpike about four weeks ago, and I made the comment to friends later that the Turnpike Authority should have to pay me to drive the turnpike. Lots and lots of road construction, and highway narrowing to one lane for no discernible reason at a couple of points. The most aggravating thing is they have these concrete barriers right up against the lanes of traffic so you worry that you're going to hit them. Not too long ago there was a fatality because of a semi-truck running into the back of a car at one point when traffic was stopped.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
The only place I found really bad road was in OK city it self. West of the cites good.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We came down I-44 from Missouri and hit I-40 at Oklahoma City.Then I-40 to Arizona. I don't remember any rough sections.

ddav15
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info. We ended up going from the Lake of The Ozarks to Hwy 65 to Hwy 62 to Eureka Springs down Hwy 21 to Hwy 412 to Hwy 49 to Hwy 40 to Arizona all were good roads. Santa Fe and Eureka Springs were places I would recommend to visit.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went through Oklahoma twice in the past 2 weeks. All roads were good.Ohio I-70 was the worst.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We came thru 40 westbound the first week of June. There were some bad spots but overall decent.
Puma 30RKSS

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove I44 between the Claremore OK and US59 exits today and it was in good shape both directions. There was some resurfacing work in the East bound lane but they were not working on it today and traffic was going smoothly.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
Yes i40 has been terrible for 25 years and it still will be 25 years from now
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
It's tornado alley!! Watch weather reports and know what county you're in when they start rattling them off.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel