Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Oklahoma Roads
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Oklahoma Roads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
stargirl96

Weatherford, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove the Turner Turnpike about four weeks ago, and I made the comment to friends later that the Turnpike Authority should have to pay me to drive the turnpike. Lots and lots of road construction, and highway narrowing to one lane for no discernible reason at a couple of points. The most aggravating thing is they have these concrete barriers right up against the lanes of traffic so you worry that you're going to hit them. Not too long ago there was a fatality because of a semi-truck running into the back of a car at one point when traffic was stopped.

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People gripe when there's road construction. AND they gripe when the roads are in bad shape!!

Our roads aren't any better or worse than any other state. And I've been in lots of states, in the car, truck, bus, on the motorcycle, and the motorhome. The roads are all the same.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

stargirl96

Weatherford, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/18 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No argument that people complain about road construction, but the way they're doing it on the turnpike is downright dangerous for motorists. Especially the concrete barriers placed right up to the highway lanes for miles and miles. My post was intended as a heads up for those driving large rigs that they might investigate other routes, depending of course on their destination.

* This post was edited 06/15/18 12:56pm by stargirl96 *

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In construction zones, the workers are usually in more danger from the drivers. Narrow detour lanes may feel dangerous, but they give the workers a larger safe space.

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

No argument that people complain about road construction, but the way they're doing it on the turnpike is downright dangerous for motorists. Especially the concrete barriers placed right up to the highway lanes for miles and miles. My post was intended as a heads up for those driving large rigs that they might investigate other routes, depending of course on their destination.

Oh I totally understand it was mostly a warning. I go to Tulsa from OKC at least once a week. I can't recall off hand what the speed limit is through there but, I do remember most everyone was going 15-20 MPH over it.
But yeah, good heads up.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 01:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlindGuynAR wrote:

Yes i40 has been terrible for 25 years and it still will be 25 years from now

That's the truth. Never been on I40 between Barstow and Little Rock when it wasn't rough and full of potholes. My buddy used to tell me that if you ever get lost in the potholes going east on I40, just follow the baloney wrappers and you'll make it to Little Rock. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Oklahoma Roads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS