cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector

ckmoore05
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. First time post. Please keep in mind that we have only owned campers for the last couple of years and just bought the class A last summer. So I am trying to learn all about things like surge protectors and inverters and things like that. I don't want to buy things that I will never use or need but if I do need it or if it is helpful I would like to learn about it so that I can plan on adding those things.

My question is... I have a 2000 Damon Intruder 50 amp, how do I know if it has a built in Surge Protector?

Next question... If it does or doesn't what is the best way to go about adding one or upgrading the existing one? I want one that protects from as much as possible and that will reset itself.

Also, I was told if I stay at a campground with only 30 amp, that you have to turn off your hardwired surge protector or not plug in your portable one. Is that true?

Thanks for the help!
58 REPLIES 58

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in So Cal so weather is not a big issue, we need MORE rain!

Theft is a consideration but like said, pretty unlikely and we rarely stay anywhere questionable.

But the hardwired version is an interesting thought, wouldn't be hard to do if there's a decent location, will have to see when I get the new rig.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

westom
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
MOV fall on their sword to protect the devices down stream.

MOV manufacturers are quite blunt about it. MOVs do not do protection when failing. Worse, they create a serious human safety issue. However if a protector is grossly undersized (does no effective protection) and it fails, then naive consumers recommend it and buy more.

An effective MOV protector remains functional even after direct lightning strikes.

But that is not the anomaly that RV protectors are designed to protect from. The word surge describes so many completely different and unrelated anomalies. For example, does it protect from a tidal surge? Obviously not. Does it protect from low DC voltages inside a computer's motherboard? Obviously it does not protect from that surge. Does it protect from a brownout? Well a Progressive does. Those completely different devices, called surge protector and located inside a house, do not.

In each case, an anomaly must be defined long before discussing some box called a surge protector. Since no surge protector protects from a surge on the stock market.

A Progressive protects from anomalies so often found in campgrounds including a brownout, reverse polarity, missing safety ground (which is not an earth ground), or floating neutral. All these are a threat mostly to motorized appliances or humans. Other anomalies (frequency variation, harmonics, missing earth ground, EMI/EMC, bad power factor, blackout, RFI, etc) are completely ignored.

Protection from transients (ie lightning) means the protector must be as close to earth ground as possible. Only the 'moutned to the pole' protectors are effective for that anomaly. And since that anomaly is quite rare (maybe once every ten years), then many RV protectors ignore that less frequent threat.

Effective protection from transients (due to lightning, utility switching, linemen errors, tree rodents, and wind) means MOVs do not fail. And must make a low impedance connection to earth ground. If mounted inside the RV, then a low impedance connection does not exist.

Discussion of each protector must first defined each and the many different anomalies that are relevant. Described are the anomalies of most concern in campgrounds. Those are unrelated to other anomalies (ie surges) that are a concern in homes.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had my portable sp in a basement compartment, similar to a hard wired one. no big deal
bumpy

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
MOV fall on their sword to protect the devices down stream. There are other types of protection that protect without dying. Of course, they cost a little more.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that in 6 pages of discussion, no one has mentioned the two main problems with portable units.

1: They're exposed to all kinds of weather plugged into the camp pedestal.

2: They are easily STOLEN.

Of course, it's possible to use them inside you rig, but it requires some modifications. You need a 30 or 50 amp outlet inside your rig, and you need a 30 or 50 amp PLUG on your internal wiring.

I'm guessing that very few people do that . . .

I did, but I now have a hard wire version, not because of concern over theft but because it's field serviceable and offers user switchable delay times which the portable versions don't.

1) These portable units are considered weather resistant but it's easy to further protect it from the weather by simply covering it with a plastic bag or bucket when hanging off the power post and 2) although theft is a possibility I've never read of anyone suffering this loss, especially since most power posts, especially in the US, seem to be located near the camper itself. An alternate solution, other than locating it inside the camper, is to simply locate it at the camper under a slide or wheelwell and run an extension cable out to the post ... unlikely that someone is going to come right up to your camper searching for an EMS to steal.

You're right ... you're paranoid. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I'm kinda surprised that in 6 pages of discussion, no one has mentioned the two main problems with portable units.

1: They're exposed to all kinds of weather plugged into the camp pedestal.

2: They are easily STOLEN.

Of course, it's possible to use them inside you rig, but it requires some modifications. You need a 30 or 50 amp outlet inside your rig, and you need a 30 or 50 amp PLUG on your internal wiring.

I'm guessing that very few people do that . . .

MrWizard
Metal oxide varistor

Transient voltage protection

When I high voltage transient spike occurs on the power line
They short it to ground, saving your electronics
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
afidel wrote:
One year warranty on the Camco, not worth the savings vs the PI unit with lifetime warranty IMHO. I love Camco products, but I'll take the proven PI unit (I actually did, used the hardwire 30A unit in my trailer, it's already saved me a few times).

nayther wrote:
respect your opinion but a warranty is only as good as the company and if it's in for warranty you're not in business.

Not true in this case. No EMS is 100% fail proof and under some circumstances the MOVs used on the surge protection circuit board are expected to fail. Progressive EMS units even have an indicator light to show when MOVs have failed and need replacement.

nayther wrote:
Anyone have first hand experience with this one? A LOT less expensive than the others.

You get what you pay for. Your choice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MOV's?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I thought the lifetime warranty is no longer.

The purchase of a Progressive Industries EMS still includes a limited lifetime warranty as do the newest EMS models from TRC.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the lifetime warranty is no longer.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
One year warranty on the Camco, not worth the savings vs the PI unit with lifetime warranty IMHO. I love Camco products, but I'll take the proven PI unit (I actually did, used the hardwire 30A unit in my trailer, it's already saved me a few times).

nayther wrote:
respect your opinion but a warranty is only as good as the company and if it's in for warranty you're not in business.

Not true in this case. No EMS is 100% fail proof and under some circumstances the MOVs used on the surge protection circuit board are expected to fail. Progressive EMS units even have an indicator light to show when MOVs have failed and need replacement.

nayther wrote:
Anyone have first hand experience with this one? A LOT less expensive than the others.

You get what you pay for. Your choice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
just found this one:

amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFWKM0C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX