Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: How efficiently do you pack?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

 > How efficiently do you pack?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/12/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, unless I were in dire financial straights, I'd buy the size vehicle that best fits my usage (including camping) rather than worry about paing it off 6-12 months earlier.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 12/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/12/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Honestly, unless I were in dire financial straights, I'd buy the size vehicle that best fits my usage (including camping) rather than worry about paing it off 6-12 months earlier.


Well, I sold my pop up because I find I want something more substantial (a "real" toilet and shower would be nice). With that desire, I find that a one size fits all vehicle doesn't work. The Sorento, which does get good mileage for what it is, is still low for the 20K miles a year I drive (and it may go up since I live in a metro area with crazy housing prices, and being a teacher, if I ever want to stop renting I'm probably going to have to buy something quite a distance from work). Meanwhile, even a small camping trailer with real facilities will be a bit too heavy for a 3500LB tow rating. So, I'd like a small car or a hybrid now, pay it off quickly, and then get a truck for towing, camping and trips 6mo to a year after the car is paid off while keeping the car with good gas mileage for the daily commute. So, ideally I want something I can pay off within 4 years so that I won't have to wait too long for the used truck and camper, and also so it will have several years of life left after both are paid off. So, minimizing my time paying on that loan may be worth some downsizing to my camping plans. Though, if I go with the hatchback or midsized hybrid I should be OK on the camping, and not too bad on the length of the loan. There are definitely a lot of things to think out before I trade my Sorento either in Aug or Dec.


Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Tents: Boulder Creek Hunter Ridge 4 (cheap 4-season tent from Bass Pro Shops), Alps Mountaineering Vertex 4, Kelty Grand Mesa 6, Big Agnes Fairview 4

Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 12/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/12/18 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski Pro 3 wrote:

When we go tent camping, I use a Yakama Rocket Box on the roof. There are several soft-sided as well as clamshell/egg McMuffin style roof top carriers that are very easy to install and remove between trips.

If your car can accommodate a receiver hitch, there are baskets that can be carried that way as well.


I've seen them online, but I haven't paid too close attention to the soft rooftop carriers. While storage will be at a premium (I'm moving into a slightly smaller apartment), I'll have to see how small they can pack up when stored away (if I have to, I suppose I could get rid of one or two of my four tents to save some storage space).

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/12/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeff10236 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Honestly, unless I were in dire financial straights, I'd buy the size vehicle that best fits my usage (including camping) rather than worry about paing it off 6-12 months earlier.


Well, I sold my pop up because I find I want something more substantial (a "real" toilet and shower would be nice). With that desire, I find that a one size fits all vehicle doesn't work. The Sorento, which does get good mileage for what it is, is still low for the 20K miles a year I drive (and it may go up since I live in a metro area with crazy housing prices, and being a teacher, if I ever want to stop renting I'm probably going to have to buy something quite a distance from work). Meanwhile, even a small camping trailer with real facilities will be a bit too heavy for a 3500LB tow rating. So, I'd like a small car or a hybrid now, pay it off quickly, and then get a truck for towing, camping and trips 6mo to a year after the car is paid off while keeping the car with good gas mileage for the daily commute. So, ideally I want something I can pay off within 4 years so that I won't have to wait too long for the used truck and camper, and also so it will have several years of life left after both are paid off. So, minimizing my time paying on that loan may be worth some downsizing to my camping plans. Though, if I go with the hatchback or midsized hybrid I should be OK on the camping, and not too bad on the length of the loan. There are definitely a lot of things to think out before I trade my Sorento either in Aug or Dec.


Ok. That makes sense - buying cheap for your commuter car, then getting something that can tow as a second vehicle.

In that case, go with the quickest pay off so you can get the truck as quickly as possible. Stick to essential camping gear only for now to keep the load as light as possible. Then in the 2-3 years, you can get the truck and camp more "extravagantly". [emoticon]

wecamp04

TN

Full Member

Joined: 10/19/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/13/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tent camping we have 2 wheeled totes tent,sleeping bags ect.in one pots pans cooking in the other we can fit them in the wife's suv or my truck keeping it in the totes we can be packed in no time.

WishWeWereCamping

South Santa Cruz County, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/18/18 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to the eclipse last year, 3 adults, two tents, cooler, BBQ, sleeping bags, air beds, food (we brought everything we thought we'd need), pillows, clothes, a couple bags of kitchen equipment, lantern, chairs, etc. and it all fit into our 2011 Prius. I took out one of the seats because my DH insisted on the BBQ and if I'm driving, I don't want the stuff packed in the back higher than the lower window so I can see out the back. We had everything we needed. We've been camping for years and I have everything planned out for both tent camping and camping in our TrailManor. I keep separate supplies and equipment for tent camping in some plastic bins and two reusable shopping bags that I restock every time we come home before we put it away. We just have to grab and go, except for the food planning. I don't pack the bins in the car, just the shopping bags with the cooking utensils, plates, cups, etc. The shopping bags are easy to fit into the car because they can be squished into the space available.

Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 12/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WishWeWereCamping wrote:

We went to the eclipse last year, 3 adults, two tents, cooler, BBQ, sleeping bags, air beds, food (we brought everything we thought we'd need), pillows, clothes, a couple bags of kitchen equipment, lantern, chairs, etc. and it all fit into our 2011 Prius. I took out one of the seats because my DH insisted on the BBQ and if I'm driving, I don't want the stuff packed in the back higher than the lower window so I can see out the back. We had everything we needed.


That is one of the big advantages (other than 50+MPG of course) that might put the Prius (or Hyundai Ionic) over the top. The hatchback design is almost as practical as an SUV and will make packing for camping a lot easier.


wecamp04 wrote:

Tent camping we have 2 wheeled totes tent,sleeping bags ect.in one pots pans cooking in the other we can fit them in the wife's suv or my truck keeping it in the totes we can be packed in no time.


WishWeWereCamping wrote:

We've been camping for years and I have everything planned out for both tent camping and camping in our TrailManor. I keep separate supplies and equipment for tent camping in some plastic bins and two reusable shopping bags that I restock every time we come home before we put it away. We just have to grab and go, except for the food planning. I don't pack the bins in the car, just the shopping bags with the cooking utensils, plates, cups, etc. The shopping bags are easy to fit into the car because they can be squished into the space available.


As for pre-packing, most of my camping stuff is pre-packed into plastic Rubbermaid storage containers or large duffle bags. They are organized somewhat by use (kitchen, lighting, sleeping gear, etc.). It does make it somewhat easier to get ready to go on a trip, and camp set up is much easier.

Stumps

valley of Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2004

View Profile



Posted: 06/12/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Honestly, unless I were in dire financial straights, I'd buy the size vehicle that best fits my usage (including camping) rather than worry about paing it off 6-12 months earlier.


^^^ This.

I do think one practical approach is to consider your needs and lifestyle - including camping - before you buy your next vehicle.

Thats how I ended up with a Subaru Outback, and I love it and hope to keep it forever. Now I do have a rooftop carrier, but I also take 4 kids camping with me, ages 14-24.

In general, you tend to pack what you can carry. I think what you're asking is a bit tricky for us to answer, a better answer may be:

either buy a car for your camping needs
or buy camping gear based on your car's space limitations.

I like the softshell rooftop carrier idea mentioned earlier, those pack away nicely when not in use.


popups sold. searching for my next camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

 > How efficiently do you pack?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS