cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.5L V6 of 5.0L V8

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 37 ft. Grand Design Reflection TT that's 8600 lbs dry with 11,000 GVWR. I can't imagine any scenario in which I'll load it down to the full 11,000 capacity. My beloved Ford Explorer isn't going to cut it. My fiancé drives a gazillion-ton HD Chevy that can pull it without blinking, but I don't want a big bulky truck for myself. I'm looking at the Ford F-150 and am thoroughly confused about whether a 3.5L V6 will do the job without struggle or if I need to go with the 5.0L V8. I'm not married to Ford, but I do like the brand.

Recommendations?
148 REPLIES 148

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
TexasBorn wrote:
That is a lot of trailer. I would look into a 3/4 truck I think you would be happier.

She did.

DoberGirl50 wrote:
I pulled my TT with my new-to-me 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 this weekend. That thing pulls and brakes like a dream. I was more than paranoid about all of it the first day to the point my hands, arms and shoulders ached from gripping the wheel. By the second day, I was relaxed with one hand on the wheel feeling in complete control. I even navigated several tight turns without removing the front end of the car at the intersection or mowing down any light poles. I tried to back it into the spot at the campground. Yeah - gonna need to practice backing a whole lot more. Epic fail.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
That is a lot of trailer. I would look into a 3/4 truck I think you would be happier.
2007 Outback 29BHS TT
2004 F350 DRW PSD, 4 Door, 4X4, 4.11

"You can never have enough truck or power"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations! Find a big empty parking lot, put out cones or lawn chairs or something and practice backing. It will be second nature before you know it.
Bobbo and Lin

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
I pulled my TT with my new-to-me 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 this weekend. That thing pulls and brakes like a dream. I was more than paranoid about all of it the first day to the point my hands, arms and shoulders ached from gripping the wheel. By the second day, I was relaxed with one hand on the wheel feeling in complete control. I even navigated several tight turns without removing the front end of the car at the intersection or mowing down any light poles. I tried to back it into the spot at the campground. Yeah - gonna need to practice backing a whole lot more. Epic fail.

You go! Glad you like the Dodge!

You’ll get the backing, no worries.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
I tried to back it into the spot at the campground. Yeah - gonna need to practice backing a whole lot more. Epic fail.

I think we've all been there at some point. I managed to knock over an electrical/water pedestal about 20 years back. Now THAT was a fail. Practice makes perfect...and then you get cocky and fail again. 😉

Bayoubass
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 2112......

DoberGirl50
Explorer
Explorer

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
OK my new RV friends - I've kind of rejected the Ford altogether and am looking at a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4WD with a 6.7L 6-cylinder I6 diesel engine. Will it do the job? Reminder: I'll be towing a 37' TT with a GVCR of 11000 lbs. According to the towing guides I'm seeing, it can handle over 13K lbs, but it doesn't specifically say anything about whether the brakes will work.

What is the payload? If you have 1200 lbs of tongue weight and 100 lbs of hitch, etc. and anything in the bed you might start approaching your payload capacity of the truck.

I drove a 2018 2500 Ram Cummins that was a stripper model, and it had 2200 lbs. of payload. A nicer model would have less.

For reference, my F-250 gas has just shy of 3,000 lbs. of payload available.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

bnkrtstk
Explorer
Explorer
DoberGirl50 wrote:
OK my new RV friends - I've kind of rejected the Ford altogether and am looking at a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4WD with a 6.7L 6-cylinder I6 diesel engine. Will it do the job? Reminder: I'll be towing a 37' TT with a GVCR of 11000 lbs. According to the towing guides I'm seeing, it can handle over 13K lbs, but it doesn't specifically say anything about whether the brakes will work.

Yes it will do the job very well. The brakes will be fine. Good choice( and this is coming from a Ford guy)

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Just for information's sake, what is the payload rating of the RAM?

For my 2009 2500 Heavy Duty, psgrs and cargo is 1907#.
Rich
Southern NV

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Engine braking. FWIW. My book, 2009 model, clearly states "if equipped", which leads me to think it was an option. Maybe not for newer.

Best the OP be sure! Engine braking is great!
Rich
Southern NV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for information's sake, what is the payload rating of the RAM?
Bobbo and Lin

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Ram EB's are standard not options.

Thanks, good to know.
Rich