cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford dually rear center cap removal

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Took our new steed to tire gurus to have them check things out as to why we had a slow leak in RR outside tire. Purchasing dealer is 1/2 hr away, tire gurus--several minutes. The center cap posed one heck of a problem for them as they couldn't get it off---but did eventually but in process scratched up the rim near the cut out/slots you are supposed to use to pry it off. Not sure what they did use, but know that tool kit in truck from Ford didn't have anything that would work. So my question is, what tool will work best?

The leak BTW was a very badly corroded TPMS. Was built in Oct '17, went to MA originally, then here in NY. Had 300 mile on it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
20 REPLIES 20

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
On my Ford dually I use the vinyl coated hook on the end of a ratchet strap, and wrap the running end (just long enough to clear the tire wall) around a tire iron or axe handle (I keep a fiberglass one as a non-marring light duty pry bar).

I lever the bar against the tire sidewall (with the hook of the strap attached to the center cap) and it pops off with very little effort.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larry-D wrote:
RAM dually. Rear inner tire on one side got a nail. Local tire shop where I go all the time fixed it for free. Within 400 miles I lost the center cap. My daughter who is apparently a dually expert said they were hard to remove and the tire shop maybe broke some tabs. New cap - $126.00.

I put a dab of Permatex "The right Stuff" on 4 lug nuts where the cap makes contact and since doing so have not lost a cap. I ALWAYS RnR the caps my self when having tire work done.

Not my Dually but you get the idea.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
RAM dually. Rear inner tire on one side got a nail. Local tire shop where I go all the time fixed it for free. Within 400 miles I lost the center cap. My daughter who is apparently a dually expert said they were hard to remove and the tire shop maybe broke some tabs. New cap - $126.00.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I use the claw on my small hammer inserted at a 45 with a rag or glove between it and the wheel to pop them off...like shown above.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that OTC 5758 tool would work, thanks for posting. We created something similar by modifying a pry bar tip by heating it and bending the tip over at 90 degrees.

d rocs wrote:
ACZL wrote:
The center cap posed one heck of a problem for them as they couldn't get it off... So my question is, what tool will work best?

This tool: OTC 5758 solved my problem with center cap removal.

https://www.otctools.com/products/hub-cap-removal-tool

Here's a YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hTRC6-IHM
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

d_rocs
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
The center cap posed one heck of a problem for them as they couldn't get it off... So my question is, what tool will work best?

This tool: OTC 5758 solved my problem with center cap removal.

https://www.otctools.com/products/hub-cap-removal-tool

Here's a YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hTRC6-IHM

ourjeeps
Explorer
Explorer
Getting off F350 dually (decor) center caps is tough. There are 6 very stout/grippy hex-sided steel lug clips attached to the backside of plastic chrome center caps. The OEM lug wrench has a notched end but the deep dish of the dually wheel makes it useless (works fine on SRW trucks).

On the backside of the dually center cap are six stout steel hex clips in six of the eight lug positions. I'd post a photo of the centercap back-side but could not determine how to upload it to the forum. We're thinking of removing two of the 6 clips to make center cap removal easier while still having a god amount of retaining grip for the dually center cap.

For a removal tool, we heated the flat tip of a medium-sized crowbar and put it in a metal vice and used a 5 lb hammer to bent the top 1/2 inch over at 90 degrees - to use as a center cap removal tool. Using the vinyl covered notched flat tip (also tried the bare tip) of the OEM Ford lug wrench didn't grip the dually center cap for us. SRW center caps are no issue. The deep dish of the dually wheels makes the OEM lug wrench useless but again works fine on SRW F250/F350 SRW trucks.

BTW, the center caps "Made in China" as are the aluminum OEM Ford dually wheels. I could not locate a country of origin stamp on the Ford OEM steel dually wheels). Our high-performance 2016 Shelby GT350 wheels are also made in China...
American Coach American Dream 42G diesel pusher
F-350 PSD CC LB Dually w/Bigfoot 1500 9.5
Jeeps & Dogs
Good Sam Charter Life Member
God Bless America & Our Troops Overseas!!!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Well as fate would have it, the left outside tire TPMS went south in course of 1 week. Same exact thing as the right side......corrosion! Inside wheels are steel. Only the front are left!
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Placing the rag behind changes the angle and keeps from damaging the wheels.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ACZL wrote:
stickdog wrote:
A couple things: first there is a known problem with the TPMS on the 2017 Ford DRW's with corrosion. There is a thread on a ford fourm about it. I had one go bad on my 2017 replaced with a non TPMS as they were back ordered. Only reason they were back ordered was they can't keep them in stock.

Second I couldn't get my rear hubcap even tried the ratchet straps wound up ordering hubcap removal tool still had to remove the rubber mallet head but it works.

Thanks for the replies again folks!!

Ironically, the tire shop did have the same tool and just couldn't get enough leverage between the cap and rim to pry the cap off. Almost like it was "super glued" on.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the bad batch of sensors. Will advise tire shop so they can look into getting me replacements---unless Ford is replacing them free of charge.

I would have your local Ford dealer replace them that way if any damage is done they can replace the parts with genuine Ford parts.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
A couple things: first there is a known problem with the TPMS on the 2017 Ford DRW's with corrosion. There is a thread on a ford fourm about it. I had one go bad on my 2017 replaced with a non TPMS as they were back ordered. Only reason they were back ordered was they can't keep them in stock.

Second I couldn't get my rear hubcap even tried the ratchet straps wound up ordering hubcap removal tool still had to remove the rubber mallet head but it works.

Thanks for the replies again folks!!

Ironically, the tire shop did have the same tool and just couldn't get enough leverage between the cap and rim to pry the cap off. Almost like it was "super glued" on.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the bad batch of sensors. Will advise tire shop so they can look into getting me replacements---unless Ford is replacing them free of charge.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brake pawl and rag.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I use a brake adjusting tool wrapped with electrical tape to keep from scratching the wheel.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu